Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 28927 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #209 from previous page: June 15, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
@akiko

Yes this is exactly what spurred me on to start the AmigaKit project a decade ago, resellers were closing left, right and centre so something had to be done quickly at the time.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
Quote from: amoskodare;766699

Why do you think most OS4 users prefers to hang out on AW.net and Amigans instead of hanging out here on Amiga.org?

Yes, it's because of those "aggressive and inflammatory views" from a  small minority of users just expressing their "freedom of speech",  that's why :-)

Or perhaps certain hostile Amiga users from AWN and Amigans suddenly start posting here, insulting users.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
@itix

if you encounter any insults or hostile actions, report it for a Moderator to review- thanks.

Offline itix

« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766739
@itix

if you encounter any insults or hostile actions, report it for a Moderator to review- thanks.

I have already reported moderator to Trevor.

Thanks.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766736
@akiko

Yes this is exactly what spurred me on to start the AmigaKit project a decade ago, resellers were closing left, right and centre so something had to be done quickly at the time.

Wow, has it really been 10 years? I remember back when you had just started and I was kind of disappointed that you were only selling hard drives and generic computer products that happened to be compatible with Amigas. The way you've grown the business, stimulated and sustained the market, and become a true Amiga retailer is an amazing achievement. Well done!

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
Hope the mods are more up to the task than they used to be.  I recall getting a vague, but fairly direct - threat of personal injury via PM towards myself by the C-USA camp when I had the audacity to question some of their practices.

Reported that and never heard back from a moderator.

Offline itix

« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766739
@itix

But as I wrote earlier you are going to have great issue running this site in peace. Hyperion supporters want the site to go pro-OS4 and are acting like that. Hyperion supporters want you to sell more OS4 hardware to amiga.org users. This includes certain activist moderators who want you to succeed with OS4.

What users want here is clean separation with NG and non-NG stuff and accept the fact that hardcore Amigans are trashing NG Amiga (OS4, MorphOS, AROS).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:15:12 PM by itix »

Offline itix

« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
Quote from: Duce;766744
Hope the mods are more up to the task than they used to be.  I recall getting a vague, but fairly direct - threat of personal injury via PM towards myself by the C-USA camp when I had the audacity to question some of their practices.

I have heard rumours they were fake accounts created by previous site owner.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
Quote from: Duce;766744

yeah, that's not gonna be allowed any more. :lol:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »
@itix

I know, its not going to be easy.

Don't forget this is a primarily Classic Amiga forum (the common link with everyone here).  So I think the emphasis will be on the Classic Amiga topics.  This is still the biggest user base.

However, Amiga.org should be welcoming to MorphOS, AmigaOS 4, Emulation and AROS users too.

If we work together on raising the standards here, I think we will succeed.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2014, 02:29:44 PM »
Quote from: itix;766738
Or perhaps certain hostile Amiga users from AWN and Amigans suddenly start posting here,

Well if some one says some thing that is incorrect, then some one will disagree with that, some people don't want to sit back, and see incorrect information being spread.

As I see it a service to the once who are interested that they get correct information.

If its hostile to correct people who never used the product, when they say things that are wrong, then any OS4 user is potentially hostile to any lie.

insulting users.

If there are some one insulting users, then they will handled by the moderators, and it should not depend on what camp they belong to.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:34:59 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;766749
Well if some one says some thing that is incorrect, then some one will disagree with that, some people don't want to sit back, and see incorrect information being spread.

As I see it a service to the once who are interested that they get correct information.

There are those who are accused of trolling by doing exactly this, although from their point of view they are enlightening potential customers to the shortcomings of the product.

The solution to the problem does not lie in some written rule, it lies in softening attitudes and reducing sensitivities to criticism.

What derails the thread: the single cirtical post, the dozens of over-sensitive reactions, or the combination of the two?
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;766748
@itix

I know, its not going to be easy.

Don't forget this is a primarily Classic Amiga forum (the common link with everyone here).  So I think the emphasis will be on the Classic Amiga topics.  This is still the biggest user base.

However, Amiga.org should be welcoming to MorphOS, AmigaOS 4, Emulation and AROS users too.

If we work together on raising the standards here, I think we will succeed.

A practical idea... why not create a "free speech" thread where people can discuss without heavy censoring. It could be off the main page and nobody is forced to read it if he do not like it (of course not insulting people like "xyz is a idiot/stupid" and so on

Offline number6

« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2014, 02:52:58 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;766751
A practical idea... why not create a "free speech" thread where people can discuss without heavy censoring. It could be off the main page and nobody is forced to read it if he do not like it (of course not insulting people like "xyz is a idiot/stupid" and so on

Funny you should mention that. It was tried at Amigaworld.
Guess what? No one used it, because they could not receive the same attention from posting on "back pages".
In fact, creating such a place and instructing people to GO there is the fastest way to stop a flamefest.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;766750
There are those who are accused of trolling by doing exactly this, although from their point of view they are enlightening potential customers to the shortcomings of the product.

Nothing wrong whit that for example AmigaONE-XE/SE has hardware defects is true.

But to say Pegasus II, Sam series or X1000 is buggy is not true, they are good computers.

But if your trying to sell MorphOS to some one that was initial interested in AmigaOS4, then there is some thing wrong with that.

The solution to the problem does not lie in some written rule, it lies in softening attitudes and reducing sensitivities to criticism.

Criticism in it self is not wrong, it depends on how its used, some criticism can be good to improve things, user feedback often good criticism.

None user criticism that is incorrect and is repeated to spread FUD is not.

What derails the thread: the single cirtical post, the dozens of over-sensitive reactions, or the combination of the two?

That's way people should stay on topic in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:06:06 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;766751

Another option is defaulting to an expanded threaded view, where posts (and replies) can be collapsed/expanded according to the users wishes. Some +/- 'helpful post' voting system could be used to define which (if any) posts are collapsed by default.

That's about the only combination of 'I want my free speech' and 'I don't want to have to read that crap again' that I can think of.

Would that even work with Amiga browsers though?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:11:38 PM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)