Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fusion via WinUAE?  (Read 6938 times)

Description:

Offline mindproberTopic starter

• Show only replies by mindprober
Fusion via WinUAE?
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:32:45 AM »
Is it possible to run the Mac emulator Fusion under WinUAE? I know it is possible to run ShapeShifter because I am currently testing it out. The problem is it is not quite working towards my goal to be able to access a Mac partition I have on an old SCSI hard drive that I have connected via an Adaptec SCSI controller. WinUAE sees and can boot from the AmigaOS partition on the same drive but I have not been able to make ShapeShifter see the Mac side. An old note I put on the drive says the partition was for use with Fusion. The drive was originally used in an A3000 I last owned. It was most likely attached to an Emplant board's SCSI connector.

If I recall correctly, Fusion was very similar to  the Emplant software side but had no Emplant hardware requirements. When I launch Fusion within WinUAE, it gurus. Perhaps something to do with that little program that needs to run in order to prepare the emulation. With ShapeShifter, this is called "PrepareEmul" and I am thinking Fusion may need something similar but cannot use what ShapeShifter is using. The AmigaDOS parition is from the A3000 setup, though, and WinUAE was configured to match the hardware. Whatever Fusion needs to work should still be there but it has been so long, i do not recall. Guess I can glance over the installation instructions....

If I can successfully get Fusion to work even temporarily, I bet I can get it to see the Mac partition.

My only other option is to find a real pre-Intel and pre-G5 Mac that will still accept my old Mac SCSI adapter.

Why bother with all this? I strongly believe I left something important on this Mac partition and hope to be able to read it.

Offline zipper

Re: Fusion via WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
RsrvWarm and RsrvCold  were the programs to be used with Fusion. Or MuMove4K using the MMULib package.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:11 PM »
Thanks! I remember those two names now. I get the feeling they are already there with the Fusion install. I did notice I only had v3.1 installed and it got as far as v3.2c I believe. Not that the changes would impact my problem at all but it is worth a shot.

Quote from: zipper;809067
RsrvWarm and RsrvCold  were the programs to be used with Fusion. Or MuMove4K using the MMULib package.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
OS3.9 and BoingBag 2 no longer require any of those prep tools for Mac Emulation. It should just work straight away. Also consider CrossMAC if you just need to retrieve a file from the partition - it's CrossDOS for Mac/HFS.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »
You could put your PCI SCSI card into a PC, boot from a Linux live disc and read the contents of the Mac partition that way.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:43 AM »
Great suggestion! I am most familiar with Ubuntu but not sure how well it will work with my PC, though. It is a circa-2007 ASUS with an Intel quad-core processor and nvidia GT 740 graphics. Can you suggest another distro just in case I run into trouble?

Quote from: nicholas;809108
You could put your PCI SCSI card into a PC, boot from a Linux live disc and read the contents of the Mac partition that way.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:22:22 AM by jdryyz »

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:19:51 AM »
I do have an OS 3.9 system for WinUAE also. I was not aware the prep tools are no longer needed. Only problem is I do not now how to check to see if I added any boing bags to it. I may have tried to keep it stock.

I did try to use CrossMAC (v1.05) but I cannot figure out how to get it to see an existing partition. It seems to be geared towards CREATING partitions.

Quote from: Matt_H;809105
OS3.9 and BoingBag 2 no longer require any of those prep tools for Mac Emulation. It should just work straight away. Also consider CrossMAC if you just need to retrieve a file from the partition - it's CrossDOS for Mac/HFS.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:42:43 AM »
So good news, more good news and some bad news:

The latest Ubuntu not only works great on my ASUS PC, it works better than any Ubuntu ever did! All devices were recognized and the Mac partition was visible. I was able to see all the data. Now, I could just copy the data to one of the local NTFS volumes but I suspect something might get lost in translation with exception of simple .txt files. So I saw that I could connect to a server. My main Mac computer already had SMB file sharing enabled, but Ubuntu would not accept my credentials as either a registered user or guest! Oh well. The Mac is running El Capitan. The default "WORKGROUP" domain was recognized by Ubuntu also. Not sure what is wrong here but I have often experienced file sharing trouble between my Macs and Windows systems anyway. Not surprised.

Without verifiying if I have any Boing Bags installed at all, I installed Fusion 3.2 on my OS 3.9 WinUAE system. It did put the RsrvWarm in the startup-sequence and the system still worked after a reboot. I launched Fusion and stepped through the configuration. Was not sure what Mac System version is on the partition so I chose my 512k ROM vs the 1MB ROM. The system booted and then halted right away saying there was a mismatch of some kind...probably due to the incorrect ROM. No worries, I will just reboot (since I do not know how to properly quit Fusion with the Mac side running) and reconfigure. Well, guess what? The moment I started up Fusion again and agreed to the terms, it guru'd on me just like the other OS I tested first! Funny thing is, there were no new files written in the Fusion folder that I can tell. I didn't save a configuration file either.

I'm sure someone more experienced with Fusion can solve this one easy...assuming that Fusion was even stable at version 3.2. I know development stopped a long time ago.

With the latest WinUAE, I can also experiment with using an actual Picasso IV ROM file instead of the UAE Picasso emulation. That might be better suited to Mac emulation software.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:45:27 AM by jdryyz »

Offline Castellen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 07:30:51 AM »
I just tried to run Fusion (a copy of what works on my A4000) in WinUAE 2.8.1 and it fails as well, maybe it just doesn't work under UAE.

Quote from: Matt_H;809105
Also consider CrossMAC if you just need to retrieve a file from the partition - it's CrossDOS for Mac/HFS.

That's a good suggestion - I used to do the same thing for reading Mac partitions.  As I recall, you'd use something in the Fusion prefs to generate a mountfile, which you'd mount and have the entire Mac volume available to the Amiga.  But that relies on making Fusion run of course.  And you need to have L:CrossMACFileSystem which I think was separate.

The mountfile I used was:
Code: [Select]

8.System:> type Seagate:Amiga/System/Storage/Dosdrivers/MacHD
/*   DOSDriver for FUSION device: *MSHardFile0          */

Device = devs:mshf.device
           Unit = 0
           Flags = 0
           Surfaces = 4  
           BlocksPerTrack = 32  
           LowCyl = 0      
           HighCyl = 9599    
           Reserved = 0
           Blocksize = 512
           Stacksize = 4096
           Priority = 5
           GlobVec = -1
           Buffers = 30
           BufMemType = 1
           DosType = 0x4D415300
           FileSystem = l:CrossMACFileSystem

Ignore the fact I named it "MSHardFile0", I was also doing something with MSDOS partitions at the time and there was some weird reason I did this.  If you manually worked out the relevant details of the partition (does one of Thomas Richter's tools do this?) and applied to the above mountlist, and you had CrossMACFileSystem then it might work for you?

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
Where can one get Fusion these days?

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »
The odd thing is that it ran ONCE and now it just crashes after agreeing to the terms of use. There's got to be something causing that. Perhaps it involves configuring WinUAE a specific way. I am sure the compatibility settings could use some tweaking.

Quote from: Castellen;809145
I just tried to run Fusion (a copy of what works on my A4000) in WinUAE 2.8.1 and it fails as well, maybe it just doesn't work under UAE.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:43:08 PM by jdryyz »