Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?  (Read 18235 times)

Description:

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
Re: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
call me sick/stupid.... but there is the 'strokeability' about  an original :) in my case the heavy weight A2000... the real "iron" :-) no emulator can beat that  :-D

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »

-D- wrote:
However, tinkering with the classics can also be a blast. Nothing like popping a good OCS demo into the A2K...

I totally and absolutely agree. Amen. I became totally addicted to classic hardware. I have to break free. :-)

Offline Damion

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »

Fester wrote:

-D- wrote:
However, tinkering with the classics can also be a blast. Nothing like popping a good OCS demo into the A2K...

I totally and absolutely agree. Amen. I became totally addicted to classic hardware. I have to break free. :-)

LOL, yeah, I hear you there. I'm trying *real* hard to keep a minimal collection of things I will use (at least somewhat), and not get too carried away or become a "hoarder". But who knows, I may have to break free again myself someday. (Plus, I will likely be married with children to think about in the near future, obviously that's going to change life a bit.) The only things I will always keep are my C128 (first computer) and my first Amiga (a lowly A500). The rest can go if necessary, but hopefully not  too soon! ;-)

Offline ami_junki

• Show only replies by ami_junki
    • http://www.cd32gamer.info
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 01:22:02 AM »
I think emulation is good the getting the Amiga feel while on the go, booting up an Amiga emulator on your laptop on a long flight is great but it the whole experience pales in comparison to the real hardware.  The little sounds you hear, the clicking of the floppy disk, the sound of the real Amiga mouse, the nice feeling of the keys and even just the way the Amiga looks there on your desk.  When I want to have fun using a computer and maybe write some good music or  design some graphics I always find that the real Amiga gets it done better.  I just  hope that someday we will have real machines  :-(

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 01:44:20 AM »
@amiga_3k

But on Amikit it didn't come near to the real fun. It seemed like ages between hitting a key and actually hear the sound!

I'm running Octamed w/ Winuae/amikit on a 3ghz Dell GX280 here and I dont get the lagging that your talking about?

Its faster and more responsive than my real 030/A1200?

I sold off all my "high end" Amiga harware after running Winuae on my Dual Xeon :-)

Offline sdyates

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »
It is better than the real thing in many ways:
- A simple change of a configuration file and it is any Amiga you want it to be
- Back up and restoration of HDF and ADF iseasy
- Ability to change upgrade or downgrade the rom or chip sets is easy
- adding ram is cheap ;)
- Don't have to worry about if your amiga will fail to boot each time.
- accessing windows and mac shares is easy

However, with all the advantages, there is something missing. I miss the floppy sounds and even the sound the hard drive makes on the A3000. It's just not the same.

My UAE a3000 emulation runs at 1.08% of a real A3000 and I use it to grammar check articles for our corvette newsletter. I let my real Amigas sleep.
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 02:07:39 AM »
Yes and no...

I still want to see an emulated Amiga run as nice as a Real one. Try some demos.
 I've seen problems similar to the ones seen by amiga_3k. But I believe it is a matter of how fast your PC is, and what you expect of it.

In the other hand, it is easy to get how many RAM you want in the emulator. AHI and RTG will be easy also. My A1200 is still standard and I would have to spend some money to have a nice setup. If you compile stuff, you can notice the speed advantage of the emulation also.

My opinion: have both  :-D Unless you buy a super powerful Amiga

Offline trekiej

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »
It appears that emulation gives preservtion and flexibility.

Was the Amiga developed on a workstation before Amigas were made? The original design needed a few brief cases or luggage containers to move it.

Hardware gives a tangible feel that software does not give.

Emulation could give an illusion and not keep with the spirit of the original system.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »

spihunter wrote:
@amiga_3k

I'm running Octamed w/ Winuae/amikit on a 3ghz Dell GX280 here and I dont get the lagging that your talking about?

Its faster and more responsive than my real 030/A1200?

I sold off all my "high end" Amiga harware after running Winuae on my Dual Xeon :-)

Then I must be doing something wrong (or that combo of Xeons is doing the trick, my machine has just a single core Pentium IV, luckily a true one, not a hellaron). Tell me the settings you use (can be done of thread by personal message) so I can check if it also solves the trouble I have playing Oldtimer.
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline clemenza

• Show only replies by clemenza
    • http://dony.gr/
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »
Well, in my opinion WinUAE is an excellent piece of software and i use it on my laptop at work (can't bring a 'real' Amiga here!). But, when I return home, there's nothing that can compare to the feeling of my A500's and A2000's. They're, quite simply, the real thing - they're old (and beautiful!), they make funny noises, and their picture on the 1084 is simply DIFFERENT to that of WinUAE on my LCD screen. So, emulation is just the next best thing...

Offline a-pex

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
Give emulation no chance!

Real men plays with real hardware, or are you also emulating your girl friend.  :crazy:

Give emulation no chance!

Offline a-pex

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »
Emulation is something for people that are not willing to buy and setup real hardware...

Offline amigaksi

• Show only replies by amigaksi
    • http://www.krishnasoft.com
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 08:52:59 AM »
>I briefly had an Amiga 500 back in 2002, bought it from a guy who owned Amigas and Pegasos machines, it just stopped working...

Everything in this world is subject to birth, death, old age, and disease including your body, your PC emulator, and your Amiga so a dieing Amiga does not make an emulator on a new PC a new Amiga.

>Emulation surpasses the inaccessability to Amiga hardware, there is a limited supply out there. You cannot find a good A500 factory sealed in a box.

So that does not mean that one should get something that is NOT an amiga (from the hardware perspective).  You need to convince some of your hardware pals to build you a REAL amiga.  As an example, try putting an instruction like $009C,$8010 into the copper list and write an interrupt routine (pointed to by location $68) that does something time critical like writing to joystick ports and there your emulator won't work.  The PC timer goes only as accurate as 1.19318Mhz whereas the copper is timing the color clocks at 3.57954525Mhz.

>The question is: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?

No.

>Does it have that original Amiga soul comparable to its hardware counterparts? or is it just a bland Windows executable or binary file that tricks you to thinking that you really have an Amiga?

Souls are only present in living entities-- anything subject to birth, death, old age, disease cannot be a soul.  You are a soul that's why you know you are same person (unchanging identity) throughout your life although your body has changed from when you were a baby.  
As far as tricking, I don't think they are deceiving you since it does emulation on the software level and to some extent hardware (assuming no bugs and real Amiga bugs are emulated), but your Amiga is software+all of the hardware.

>Is Amiga Emulation really modern Amiga Computing since there is no new hardware out from A-inc?

Even if all the Amigas were dead on the planet, the emulator is not an Amiga.  That would just mean the Amiga is extinct.

>Can you integrate Amiga Emulation into the enterprise? Let's say a type shop who prefers Amiga's to Macs?

Amiga emulation is not an Amiga so the question does not apply.

>Give me your thoughts.

You got them.
--------
Use PC peripherals with your amiga: http://www.mpdos.com

Offline Eclipse

• Show only replies by Eclipse
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
Hi,
See for me emulation is a front-end for the real Amiga. I usually set everything up UAE then transfer to the real 1200 just because it's easier.
For me though, sometimes you just cannot beat getting out the old joysticks and loading a game from floppy(I love the sound) even when I have the game on WHDload.

Offline Phantom

• Show only replies by Phantom
    • http://l9memorial.if-legends.org/html/home.html
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
No, very few people remember the Amiga.

I don't agree with that. I think a lot of people remember Amiga about the games and especially about the video capabilities. Even now some tv stations in my country use an Amiga in some parts.

Here in my little city of Crete Island, a lot of people remembers Amiga... and they ask me: "Do you -still- have Amiga?" and my answer?

Only Amiga -still- makes it possible. 8-)
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 24, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »
I prefer the real thing because I can be playing a game on my Amiga before my PC boots up.

I also like the sounds of the drives and the lights flashing at me.

I like pressing A+A+CTRL rather than F12 and clicking reser.

I like the fact that when Ive finished playing my game I can simply turn it off without the need of waiting for a shutdown.

I like the fact that the hardware looks like its been cared for especially when compared to some yellow or broken amigas that Ive seen.

I dont mind emulators. I use winuae to test things that Ive got off T'internet before transfering them over to the Amiga