Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?  (Read 18232 times)

Description:

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
Re: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »
I prefer the real thing because I can be playing a game on my Amiga before my PC boots up.

I also like the sounds of the drives and the lights flashing at me.

I like pressing A+A+CTRL rather than F12 and clicking reser.

I like the fact that when Ive finished playing my game I can simply turn it off without the need of waiting for a shutdown.

I like the fact that the hardware looks like its been cared for especially when compared to some yellow or broken amigas that Ive seen.

I dont mind emulators. I use winuae to test things that Ive got off T'internet before transfering them over to the Amiga

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »

amigaksi wrote:

>Emulation surpasses the inaccessability to Amiga hardware, there is a limited supply out there. You cannot find a good A500 factory sealed in a box.

So that does not mean that one should get something that is NOT an amiga (from the hardware perspective).  You need to convince some of your hardware pals to build you a REAL amiga.  As an example, try putting an instruction like $009C,$8010 into the copper list and write an interrupt routine (pointed to by location $68) that does something time critical like writing to joystick ports and there your emulator won't work.  The PC timer goes only as accurate as 1.19318Mhz whereas the copper is timing the color clocks at 3.57954525Mhz.

Sorry, but your paragraph makes no sense. Of course an Emulator would fully support the Amiga interrupts and memory address space... and I think you'll find far more accurate and fine grained timers on a modern PC than on an Amiga... A typical OS quantum on a PC would be 1000 times every second... on the Amiga it was 12 times...

Get over it the Amiga is old!! :roll:

>The question is: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?

No.

Actually yes, Emulation is a better experience. My Amiga's are kept as museum pieces now... other than my A500 and A1200 which sometimes get used for Audio sampling when I need a sound.

>Does it have that original Amiga soul comparable to its hardware counterparts? or is it just a bland Windows executable or binary file that tricks you to thinking that you really have an Amiga?

Souls are only present in living entities-- anything subject to birth, death, old age, disease cannot be a soul.  

You don't know that. Since you can't define a Soul, my calculator might have one!

You are a soul that's why you know you are same person (unchanging identity) throughout your life although your body has changed from when you were a baby.

Actually that's not true, your current stream of consciousness (i.e. your identity is only defined by your memories) may not even survive a night's sleep!! There are plenty of studies in memory disorders to question the nature of consciousness... But this is not the place for that discussion...

As far as tricking, I don't think they are deceiving you since it does emulation on the software level and to some extent hardware (assuming no bugs and real Amiga bugs are emulated), but your Amiga is software+all of the hardware.

>Is Amiga Emulation really modern Amiga Computing since there is no new hardware out from A-inc?

Even if all the Amigas were dead on the planet, the emulator is not an Amiga.  That would just mean the Amiga is extinct.

Is MiniMig an Amiga?

>Give me your thoughts.

You got them.

You thoughts are odd and erratic!

Offline DrDekker

• Show only replies by DrDekker
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »
Me - I'm undecided.

On the one hand emulation offers you virtually (no pun intended) any Amiga with greater speed, screen resolution, RAM, range of peripherals, etc.  All this running on your PC - requiring no other equipment/financial outlay.

On the other hand, a real Amiga produces a much richer display, smoother scrolling and character - that despite being defined by its quirkiness/inadequacies/WHY - is simply charming.

One upshot of emulation is that it opens up the Amiga world to non-Amiga owners (let's assume they bought the ROMs).  Once having had a taste of a virtual Amiga, they then may go on to buy Amiga hardware to live the experience for 'real' - increasing the Amiga userbase - which can only be a good thing!  :-)
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline a-pex

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
WinUAE is very good for making WHDLoad installs via IPF-Images.

WinUAE is very good for setting up a new harddisk for the Amiga 1200 for example.

But to answer the question about real hardware:
Is a picture of a naked woman the same for you like a real naked woman in front of you? If you say YES, then you need no REAL hardware.  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »
This is what I use:

GAMES:
modded XBOX with UAEX (this get me an A1200 with 32 megs of ram with sys3 WB and all the bells and whistles)
Runs A500, A1200, CD32 games (cd32 games play off orignal CD's)

REAL AMIGA 1200: for games, this is my last Amiga rebuilding it from spare parts but this will live alongside the Wii, XBOX1, Xbox360, and ps3.

HIGH END:
MacBook dual core with Amigakit and a copy of my A4000t 060 Video Toaster Flyer original hard drive with setup dating back originally to 1993, I've continually updated this over the years. If I were to try and create an amiga this powerfull I'd pay $2000 or more based on current EBAY prices.

Emualtion kicks ass, but I have a serious case of retro additcion due to Mini-MIG. Was actually getting rid of my Amiga stuff when Mini-MIG came along, as I was trying to mass produce the thing I started to use a real Amiga vs. Minimig to check compatibility and show investors what the real machines were caplable of.

Offline Phantom

• Show only replies by Phantom
    • http://l9memorial.if-legends.org/html/home.html
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
@ a-pex

LOL! You got the idea! ;-)
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Or who you rather make love to Zsa Zsa Gábor or an 18 year old who looks like Zsa Zsa Gábor did when she was 18...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »
I'd say UAE and AmigaKit have come a long way. True that audio was never quite right, but I think that's been over come with what I've seen and heard.

I have the extremes, very old A1000 and a A1200TPPC. So, with both of these machines, emulation just doesn't give me the kicks.

I have fun with A1000 for the hardware; have a CF drive going now, and I'm still working on my neobitz mod. I run WHLoad on there.

A1200PPC - OS4, PPC, hey no emulation for this.

Having said that, I would go complete emulation in a minute if I didn't have these two freaks around.

:-D
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »

a-pex wrote:
Give emulation no chance!

Real men plays with real hardware, or are you also emulating your girl friend.  :crazy:

Give emulation no chance!

Atleast 'this' girl friend is a newer model. Modern X86 processors translates X86 CISC to RISC like instructions pior to execution.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »

foleyjo wrote:
I prefer the real thing because I can be playing a game on my Amiga before my PC boots up.

I also like the sounds of the drives and the lights flashing at me.

WinUAE can emulate drive noise and lights flashing.

I like pressing A+A+CTRL rather than F12 and clicking reser.

RWin+LWin+Ctrl on my ASUS G1S laptop.

I like the fact that when Ive finished playing my game I can simply turn it off without the need of waiting for a shutdown.

I just close the lid on my laptop.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »

a-pex wrote:
Emulation is something for people that are not willing to buy and setup real hardware...

People just buy faster hardware.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 03:28:18 PM »

AeroMan wrote:
Yes and no...

I still want to see an emulated Amiga run as nice as a Real one. Try some demos.

Cite some examples. Also, Pentium 4 @2.4Ghz is like Core 2 Solo @1.4Ghz.

Offline arkpandora

• Show only replies by arkpandora
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
Today computers don't allow emulators to display animated PAL/NTSC screen modes, unless you manage to use the emulator on a 50 Hz screen mode (for PAL modes) and synchronize the emulator screen's refresh rate with the emulated screen's refresh rate.  As I have never found any way to make emulators do this, in my experience emulators are unusable, so that I have to go on with using real Amiga computers although emulators could be a much more convenient option for me.

Offline kgwhdload

• Show only replies by kgwhdload
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »
For playing games I love using my real Amiga, but I also love using WinUAEX on my xbox.

It outputs at 50Hz, via RGB scart and looks awesome.  Good stuff.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05:48 PM »
One thing that I can do with an emulator that I can not do with hardware is send software over the web.
UAE is Amiga Everywhere, or at least close to it.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline arkpandora

• Show only replies by arkpandora
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 24, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »
For playing games I love using my real Amiga, but I also love using WinUAEX on my xbox.

It outputs at 50Hz, via RGB scart and looks awesome. Good stuff.

I had forgotten that animation in XBox emulators may well be normal without any hardware tinkering.  I will have to give it a try.