Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Does one Install (to/from) USB  (Read 3767 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
How Does one Install (to/from) USB
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:53 AM »
I heard you can install AROS to a USB stick, I also hear you can install from one? Well when I use the USB device then try to install it always asks for DH0, this of course is after I format my USB stick to FAT, then tell the AROS installer to install on free space only and let it reboot... Yet when I install it to my Hard Drive, it installs fine.

So how does one install to USB, or better yet, how do I install from USB, as the computer I'd like to install onto does not have a DVD-ROM but a CD-ROM, and I'd like to install the Larger Icaros Distro.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:08:04 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
Re: How Does one Install (to/from) USB
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:45:38 AM »
Aghh ha, so it's a mystery even unto AROS users! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
Geez people, you're all going to make me trouble shoot this my self aren't you? :)

I got past the initial problems I was having, using this guide:

http://www.icarosdesktop.com/icarosfiles/addendum-pendrive122.pdf

What I did was boot the IcarOS live CD on my main PC. I then followed the guide EXACTLY having of course first formatted my USB drive as FAT, making it primary, and setting it to active.

Anyhow, during the installation, my system began to spit out I/O errors, and I'm not sure if it was referring to my external USB DVD-ROM or my USB Pen Drive, but it seemed to be talking about the Pen Drive.
I tried hitting cancel, skip, retry, etc. but went through and endless onslaught of related error messages.

I then had to turn off my machine and format my PenDrive with partitioning software in Windows as Windows was unable to format it any longer.

I then rebooted IcarOS, but only to find that when I try to prepare my PenDrive for installation, that I get a new error stating that AROS is unable to prepare the partition or what have you. (Sorry I forgot to write down the exact error).

Now if I go into the AROS's hard drive prep tool and reformat the drive in there then try to install AROS, I begin to get those I/O errors again.

Also no matter what I do, I can no longer format my Pen Drive under Windows on ANY of my machines.

The LEXAR JUMPDRIVE USB FORMAT TOOL just bombs out and does not complete it's chore. As does the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

I've ran drive tests on the PenDrive and it returns zero errors. Also I have a miniSD which I tried to install IcarOS on, and as fate would have it, I went through the same exact motions and am at the same place with it as well now.

Is this common, are the AROS Hard Drive tools corrupt, is there a way to restore my Pen Drives to factory default so Windows can format them again, and AROS maybe install on them without I/O errors?

P.S. I get the same results using VmWARE.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:40:45 PM by XDelusion »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
...and I can still hear wind blowing the forums...

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »
There are many places where I can't follow you.

You say you have followed my guide, but it seems you haven't read it with care.

you can't install Icaros on a FAT-formatted partition!

You may, indeed, create a little FAT partition on the pendrive just to have a place to transfer files between AROS and the rest of the world. But AROS must not go in the FAT partition, it must go in the BLANK space you should have left out on the pendrive, after cleaning it all with diskpart.

why have you created a fat partition and set it "active"? you should NOT do that. You should just create that little partition above, and format it as FAT(16). But then, just forget it.

In a nutshell:

1. clean your pendrive with windows' diskpart command as explained in the guide

2. create a LITTLE FAT partition IF YOU WANT, it's not necessary, just a commodity to transfer files. Leave the rest BLANK, UNPARTITIONED

3. please notice if you're goin' to use the Live! version of Icaros, you'll need 1,8 GB of space for AROS only!!! So be aware of this when you'll decide the size of the fat partition

4. boot into AROS using the DVD

5. launch installaros and select USE free space.

6. Do NOT create the Work: partition, use the DU0: system partition ONLY for everything!

7. reboot when prompted

8. launch installaros again and select USE EXISTING AROS PARTITIONS (do not create Work:, etcetera)

9. choose to install everything in the DU0: partition

10. wait... wait... wait... wait...

11. reboot using your USB pendrive after disconnecting the DVD drive and set the BIOS to boot from your pendrive.

12. Enjoy. But next time read instructions more carefully.
p.bes

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;598743

Reckon it just goes to show how many folk actually use AROS here or have an interest in it... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
Quote from: Franko;600081
Reckon it just goes to show how many folk actually use AROS here or have an interest in it... :)

Or how many of them have ever installed to USB ;)

When I run AROS, I tend to run it hosted on linux. Makes for a more productive environment.
int p; // A

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;598743

Who is Wind and what's her phone number ?

Offline Franko

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;600082
Or how many of them have ever installed to USB ;)

When I run AROS, I tend to run it hosted on linux. Makes for a more productive environment.

That's one of the the things I don't get about this thread, XDelusion has been looking for some answers in regard to his USB  question with only one real reply.

Now I don't know much about AROS, but if it's really so good then why don't all those who sing the praises of AROS answer him...

Heck, my good old miggies running OS3.x can use USB no problem, my advice dump the AROS and stick to OS3.x... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600087
That's one of the the things I don't get about this thread, XDelusion has been looking for some answers in regard to his USB  question with only one real reply.

Now I don't know much about AROS, but if it's really so good then why don't all those who sing the praises of AROS answer him...

Heck, my good old miggies running OS3.x can use USB no problem, my advice dump the AROS and stick to OS3.x... :)

Don't be a numpty :lol: He isn't asking how to use USB, he's asking how to make a  AROS installation on a USB disk. It's a bit more involved than just writing files to it.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;600090
Don't be a numpty :lol: He isn't asking how to use USB, he's asking how to make a  AROS installation on a USB disk. It's a bit more involved than just writing files to it.

Still seems like AROS is cobblers to me, if no-one can give the guy a straight forward answer... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600091
Still seems like AROS is cobblers to me, if no-one can give the guy a straight forward answer... :)

Goad, much? Tell you what, I want to make a bootable USB pen drive image of OS3.9 that can boot on any A1200 with a standard 3.1 kickstart / subway USB but without an OS installed on the hard drive yet. How should I proceed?

See post #5

Making bootable USB pen drives can be a pain for almost any OS.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:30:41 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;600092
Goad, much? Tell you what, I want to make a bootable USB pen drive image of OS3.9 that can boot on any A1200 with a standard 3.1 kickstart / subway USB but without an OS installed on the hard drive yet. How should I proceed?

See post #5

Making bootable USB pen drives can be a pain for almost any OS.

Well I wouldn't want to even attempt to boot from a pen drive it would be way too slow compared to an HD, as for how it's done, don't ask me as I doubt it could be anyway... :)

You can't even boot from USB on any of the iMacs I use it needs an external firewire drive to boot from another source, thing is why would you want to boot from a USB storage device in the first place, as I say It's way slower than an HD... :confused:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600095
Well I wouldn't want to even attempt to boot from a pen drive it would be way too slow compared to an HD, as for how it's done, don't ask me as I doubt it could be anyway... :)

Well, it seems to be that OS3.x must be a load of cobblers then, ask a straightforward question and can't get a sensible answer...

:p

thing is why would you want to boot from a USB storage device in the first place, as I say It's way slower than an HD... :confused:

I'm sorry, did you not read the guy's question? Speed don't come into it my lad!

He doesn't want to use the pen drive as a substitute HD, he wants to use a bootable pen drive to boot the system and then install the OS from the pen drive to the HD. You know, like you might do with a bootable CD? Only he is using a distro too big to fit onto a CD and the machine doesn't have a DVD drive.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;600097
Well, it seems to be that OS3.x must be a load of cobblers then, ask a straightforward question and can't get a sensible answer...

:p

You didn't expect a sensible answer from me did you... :)

I'm sorry, did you not read the guy's question? Speed don't come into it my lad!

Erm... obviously not only the bit's that interested me... :)

He doesn't want to use the pen drive as a substitute HD, he wants to use a bootable pen drive to boot the system and then install the OS from the pen drive to the HD. You know, like you might do with a bootable CD? Only he is using a distro too big to fit onto a CD and the machine doesn't have a DVD drive.

So why do you smartie pants AROS buffs not give him an answer then... :p