Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: raspberry pi OSes  (Read 2660 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: raspberry pi OSes
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 26, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »
Quote from: pVC;753449
I'm using one of those 3rd party minimal Raspbian installations and I'm building my server over it. Too bad Raspberrys can be unreliable with SD cards, so I wouldn't use it for lots of writes and too important stuff... unless you have external HD to store stuff, it might be better.

I planned to use my 16GB class 10 card for server, but it has got corrupted few times already. Smaller class 2 and 4 cards seem to be more reliable... so I ordered 32GB class 4 card and will see if it would work better.

Try:

Code: [Select]
sudo fstrim -v /
Then add noatime, nodiratime, discard to the mount options of your sdcard in /etc/fstab
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
Quote from: whabang;753405
It really depends on what you want to do with it. Raspbian can be fairly neat once you clean out the bloat. On the other hand, I only use mine as an email server.

I suggest that instead of cleaning out the bloat, you start from the installer instead of using a preinstalled image. This way you can just not install the whole graphical desktop category of packages. The only hassle I had was that I had to replace some of the included boot firmware blobs to ones that support model B to get the installer to boot.

I've been using one as a server with Arch Linux, which has always been a hassle to maintain, and I switched to Raspbian as soon as I found out that you can shrink it down in the installer.

Offline Dr. Chef

• Show only replies by Dr. Chef
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 03:51:31 AM »
RISC OS is a decent OS. It might not have a gigantic array of software, but the desktop is easy to use. It's also fast compared to Raspbian.
Computers
iBook G4 - OS: MorphOS 3.9
Amiga 500 NTSC (512k ram + 512k a501 trapdoor) - OS: WB 1.3
AMD FX-8350-8core - GTX 970 SC - 16GB Ram - Asus sabertooth 990fx r2
 Jesus is my king.

Offline pVC

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
Quote from: Linde;753485
I suggest that instead of cleaning out the bloat, you start from the installer instead of using a preinstalled image. This way you can just not install the whole graphical desktop category of packages. The only hassle I had was that I had to replace some of the included boot firmware blobs to ones that support model B to get the installer to boot.

I just can't understand why they still haven't fixed the installer to work with 512M model, which has been the most popular version for a while now. This is that hyped and sold platform that you shouldn't need this much hacking to get something working...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »
It's Linux, you wind up having to hack it no matter how "user-friendly" it's claimed to be...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup