Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SteamOS  (Read 6157 times)

Description:

Offline nicholasTopic starter

SteamOS
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:00:58 PM »
Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.
Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Living room & Steam

Finally, you don’t have to give up your favorite games, your online friends, and all the Steam features you love just to play on the big screen. SteamOS, running on any living room machine, will provide access to the best games and user-generated content available.

Fast forward

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.

Cooperating system

Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.
Four new Steam features focused on the living room.

Available soon in both SteamOS and the Steam client.
In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Music, TV, Movies

We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS.

Family Sharing

In the past, sharing Steam games with your family members was hard. Now you can share the games you love with the people you love. Family Sharing allows you to take turns playing one another’s games while earning your own Steam achievements and saving your individual game progress to the Steam cloud.

Family Options

The living-room is family territory. That’s great, but you don’t want to see your parents’ games in your library. Soon, families will have more control over what titles get seen by whom, and more features to allow everyone in the house to get the most out of their Steam libraries.

At the core of SteamOS is everything you already love about Steam.

All the games you love

Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of over nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

Over 50 million friends

Steam users are what makes gaming on Steam fun. Meet new people, join game groups, form clans, chat in-game and dive into Game Hubs, the center of activity for all your favorite games.

Workshop

The creative energy of Steam users takes shape in the Workshop - your one-stop shop for the best add-ons available. Here you can create, discover, and download a nearly endless supply of top-quality user-created content.

A cross-platform cloud

Seamless content delivery, storage you don’t have to think about and automatic updates to everything. Switch machines and pick up your game where you left off, and don’t worry about saving your preferences. It’s all in the Steam Cloud.

Constantly evolving

Steam itself has been a constantly evolving service since its debut in 2003. SteamOS will continue to deliver not only valuable game updates directly from content makers, but also regular additions and new features to the OS itself.
Worldwide

Steam is in 185 countries and has been translated into 25 languages. As a truly global platform, Steam, and now SteamOS, brings entertainment to an audience without borders.

Downloadable soon. Free forever!

SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline apa

• Show only replies by apa
Re: SteamOS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
Will buy!

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »
Looks like Gabe is going full-steam ahead (bad pun intended) with his plans to destroy Windows as the choice of PC gamers and developers.

I hope this endeavour is massively successful.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »
Quote from: apa;748647
Will buy!

It's free! :lol:

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
"running on any living room machine" ??

I have about 50 games on Steam and they run ONLY on windows so what do they mean?  

Any living room machine running on an Intel CPU with Windows 8 as first layer?

Or, buy your games again on a new platform?  :)
-=Delta

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
What the hey is a "living room machine?"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
Moving my A1200 into the living room... Bring it on Gabe!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
Quote from: Delta;748650

I have about 50 games on Steam and they run ONLY on windows so what do they mean?  

Did you not read the article?

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;748654
What the hey is a "living room machine?"

A console? An HTPC?

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
Quote from: ddniUK;748656
Moving my A1200 into the living room... Bring it on Gabe!

You should install  SteamOS on PC-Task for a laugh! ;)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;748648
Looks like Gabe is going full-steam ahead (bad pun intended) with his plans to destroy Windows as the choice of PC gamers and developers.

I hope this endeavour is massively successful.

Yeah he's going to steam-roll the opposition.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »

There are nearly 500 games on Steam that run on Linux now.  While that's still a small % of the total number of games Steam offers, many of those near 500 are pretty big names (TF2, L4D2, etc.).

I've not yet had to pay one thin dime to snag the Linux version of any previously purchased Windows only game now offered by Steam for Linux, but YMMV.

I still primarily use Windows for gaming, but Steam for Linux is really improving at a rapid pace.  That being said, I give it about a 50% chance at sticking around on the long term solely because Windows comes on pretty much every PC built and Linux is still a niche OS as a whole (still under 2% or so market share in the desktop space).

Offline esc

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
Did you guys read the full article?  You can stream from your windows, mac, whatever machine you want, straight to the steamos box.  So you won't lose anything if you already have games or content for those operating systems.

Isn't making cross-compatible software these days a bit more trivial than in the past anyway?  From what I understand, it doesn't any more take a lot of engineering lift to make things run on the major os's nowadays.  Am I wrong?  If so, please tell me because I don't know a ton about game development, more about application development :)

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »

Man, are you out of touch or what?  There's been a Steam client out for Linux for quote some time now and it runs my Steam games quite nicely.  Serious Sam 3 BFE and my other games run as good on Linux as they do on my Windows machine.  There's also a Steam client for OSX but I haven't played with it.  No, you don't have to buy native Linux or OSX versions of the games.  You buy once, then play on any platform that runs Steam.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
"We're re-skinning Linux and tying Steam to it."

NEXT.
Back away from the EU-SSR!