Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A couple interesting Mac articles...  (Read 2038 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

A couple interesting Mac articles...
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »
Not a Mac fan at all, but I found this article interesting, also this video, just thought I'd share.  Description of the video is found about halfway down in the comments on the first page of the article.

Enjoy!  ...(or not, LOL)

http://www.zdnet.com/after-30-years-why-did-the-mac-never-break-into-big-business-7000025743/?s_cid=e539&ttag=e539

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBRKzJMS6Uw
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline prowler

• Show only replies by prowler
Re: A couple interesting Mac articles...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:01:57 AM »
I will have to say that I pretty much agree with most of the points in that ZDNet article.

We have a large number of OS X machines where I work. They are a never ceasing source of trouble for anyone stuck with supporting them in some way.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »
"Some of them even share the same computer"   ;)

Well I mostly agree, and I must say I was not to impressed with the OS demonstration from 1995 but at least it had user accounts :)

I can admit I really do not like Apple at all, the only apple I use is for MorphOS and the new Apple PC's today offer me nothing I need at all, they are just underpowered and overpriced.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:06:55 AM by som99 »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »
And multitasking!
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »
Cant disagree on any of the points he puts forward. But he misses  a key one. Corporate NOS works off Microsoft, at the moment. Network domain, group policy, security controls, Certificate management all works out of the box in the corporate world. So the desktop SOE/MOE just works in that microcosm. Add a Mac and you have a management and maintenance exception. Which equals $. A business case that has greatest return will always gain approval over a lesser one. That in my view is why Macs won't get a look in except as an exception or perhaps in smaller green fields sites. Don't get me wrong I've owned a Mac and have supported them before and the are great end user machines but the security controls and monitoring requirements of the corporate world have become so complicated and moved so far ahead. Well most Amigans will understand that conundrum. Catchup is nigh on impossible. Unless the microcosm changes.

Cloud and BYO opens up the opportunity for Mac, IOS and Android to become more prevalent but the move of the corporate NOS microcosm would take years. 2-3 investment lifecycles at least. Or 6-9 years.

That in my view is the reason Mac hasn't broken in. Very little to do with the end user device itself.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:29:17 AM by gertsy »

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
Mac OS trying to challenge Windows is like a VW on train tracks trying to halt a train. Try to think of one thing Windows can not do today that any other computer can. When I think of why I bought an Amiga and compare it to today's PC, the PC has accomplished everything I bought my Amiga for back when it first came out and does a heck of a lot more. BTW did Apple computers ever get rid of that dull black and white screen or are they still back in the dark ages?
OHHH sometimes I break myself up.

OK, why does the PC out do the Macs in the business world, one reason Cost.
In our company we bought over 2000 computers, and have various old models still in use, we have a C64 that still is used to run a program on a old stabilization platform for air craft, and we have PC's still running from the original big blue's 8088 machines to the newest on the market. We have tried the Apples but they have all failed within the first 10 years of use, which cost the company more money to transfer over programs to the PC machines to keep the old equipment running. One of the things we found really bad about Apples old machines is the cost to repair them. If you think finding someone to repair an old Amiga is bad and expensive, try to get someone to repair an old Apple or Mac machine. Needless to say when an Apple product dies, we just throw it away and replace it with a PC, it is less costly to reprogram then repair and reuse an old Apple product.
Through much use we have found it much more expensive to use an Apple product.
Our newest purchase was a $18,000 Apple computer for video work, about 2 years ago, we now have replaced it with a $7000 PC that far exceeds what that Apple can do.
To put it quite bluntly when I got called down to look at the Apple, I laughed and told them that they would be dropping it in about 2 years, so we never did justify the cost of that beast.

Another reason I hate Apple products, the computers, software, parts, and repair are more expensive then the Amiga which is by all means an antique.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »
Quote from: smerf;758276
we have a C64 that still is used to run a program on a old stabilization platform for air craft

Ha, great post, thanks for sharing! :D

Wouldn't suppose you'd be able to post a pic of that C64, would you? Sounds amazing!  Cheers!  :drink:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »
>Another reason I hate Apple products, the computers, software, parts,  and repair are more expensive then the Amiga which is by all means an  antique.

Is anything as expensive as Amiga parts?
I don't think so.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Technoweenie

• Show only replies by Technoweenie
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:22:59 AM »
For those technically astute at any Silicon Valley company the Mac is the system of choice.  At Facebook, Google, Twitter and others using a Windows machine is a joke and discussing using an Amiga is a recipe for ridicule.  Everyone has preferences but arguing that Macs don't belong in the enterprise is an ignorant enterprise.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:49:17 AM »
I'm working with a school to develop a system where they can do attendance, grades and the like directly from an iPad.  Every teacher will be issued an iPad and it will be their primary computer for school related actives.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
Cracked a smile when I saw the picture of the "Windows 95 = Mac 89" button at the beginning of that YouTube video.

Made me think: Windows 95 = Mac 89 = Amiga 85

Multitasking a new feature on Mac OS Copland in 1995?  Really?

I think Mac is great - and it MacOS has clearly surpassed the Amiga nowadays, but trying to make multitasking sound like a groundbreaking feature in 1995?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:29:27 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com