Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your opinion or AROS and why?  (Read 5074 times)

Description:

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
Re: What is your opinion or AROS and why?
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 07, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
I have the Icaros Desktop (v.1.4.2) distribution of AROS on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a 3.2 GHz Hyper-threading P4 processor, 2 GB RAM, and 80 GB harddrive.  I got a 3Com 3c905c 10/100 NIC and NVidia 8400 GS PCI-E 256 MB video card.  For audio, I just used the systems integrated AC97 sound device.  Everything works flawlessly.  The new distributions are becoming very useable, especially with the new OWB internet browser.  It even works with Google docs (word processor, spreadsheet, etc...).  Also, its bundled media players play just about all the media I need.  Printing capability (PostScript) has recently been added though program support still needs to be ramped up. It comes with a lot of games and network tools.  I like it a lot.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Personally I like it for the games and emulators. It gives me an ever stabilizing Amiga esque environment to run my games in, and boy are there a great many ports, some old school some fairly new school. So if it were not for the developers and their willingness to port the projects we request, then I would not be using it.

Reason being is that regardless if the fact that the graphics drivers are capable of running things like DOOM 3, they still lack majorly in basic usability.

Further more the OS itself is not quite up to par with OS 3.9 standards, which despite my love for games, should be a top priority! Copy's is nice and all, but it should not need to be used as a crutch because developers want to focus want prioritize other aspects before basic OS usability.

Likewise there really are not too many day to day use type apps that AROS has, and of those it dies have many of them are very limited to their commercial counter parts on other OS', classic Amiga included.

Now you might suggest UAE as a solution but honestly I can't say my experiences with UAE have been anywhere as fluid and Amiga like as running apps on a real Amiga, Amithlon, or MorphOS (which does happen to be very polished under the hood).

I think with the Magellan II project that hope is on the way, and I'm sure that the graphics drivers may some day be free of all the full screen and Artifacting bugs that have plagued it for so long, and eventually it will catch up with OS 3.9 (yes it has surpassed it in some ways sure), and eventually web MorphOS, but until then...

It's just my quirky Amiga like gaming machine and I do love it for that! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
It does have the advantage that being open source, it can never be taken away from the users. I like their bounty system too.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
Very true. Hopefully it'll never die and will only continue to get better!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;699371
Copy's is nice and all, but it should not need to be used as a crutch because developers want to focus want prioritize other aspects before basic OS usability.

Sorry, I don't understand.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:04 AM »
Quote from: smerf;699351
Yeah, but who actually keeps one. People keep old obsolete C64's, Atari's, Mac's, and even Radio Shacks Cocoa's, but who keeps an old PC.

Not I says the blind smerf.

smerf

smerf actually has a valid point here.
I've got an old Coco3 that I've had since it was new (and I recently hunted down an Atari 130XE), but old PCs really don't have much appeal.

So when I wanted to try AROS, I had to go out and search for some compatible parts. I wound up using a Barton cored Athlon XP 3000+ in a KT400 motherboard with an Nvidia 7600GT video card.

I'm sure I could have used newer components, but these are pretty well supported.

BTW - I will throw AROS fans this bone, at its current rate of development AROS could wind up being the best NG OS available in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:34:20 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;699494
Sorry, I don't understand.

Copy = Dopus

Damn iPod. :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »
Iggy: Give it five or ten years, and I think you will be right.

Five if they refocus their priorities to making the OS capable of doing everything OS 3.9 can (at the very least) and getting those graphics driver issues resolved.

Ten if they focus on "neat hacks" to get by and impress, only to have to go back and flesh out bugs for the sake of stability and compatability at a later date.

Either way, if the momentum does not die, AROS is here to stay and will only get better so long as the spirit of Amiga is kept at hand.

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;699388
Very true. Hopefully it'll never die and will only continue to get better!

Open source projects never die. Just layer of dust covering the sources is getting thicker and thicker...

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
Krashan, with all die respect, i Admit in Last few Weeks activity on aros Faded Down a Bit, but what New developers did MOS attract ever Since? Because aros did.. And quite active..

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
AROS is a great effort and it's usability rises every day. I find myself longing for the Intel version of AROS to implement an Amithlon style virtual CPU. I keep old Amigas around but I don't really keep old PCs. I do wish AROS had better hardware support but that will come in time.

I think there should probably be a pared down floppy version of the Wanderer to replace Workbench 3.1. Last I time I tried booting AROS 68K on my A1200, it required me to have a CD rom hooked up. Which can be troublesome with a stock case, especially now since I have an indivision mk2 taking up the space of the output area.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;699564
AROS is a great effort and it's usability rises every day. I find myself longing for the Intel version of AROS to implement an Amithlon style virtual CPU. I keep old Amigas around but I don't really keep old PCs. I do wish AROS had better hardware support but that will come in time.

I think there should probably be a pared down floppy version of the Wanderer to replace Workbench 3.1. Last I time I tried booting AROS 68K on my A1200, it required me to have a CD rom hooked up. Which can be troublesome with a stock case, especially now since I have an indivision mk2 taking up the space of the output area.
Moggen's Emumiga was a virtual 68k for AROS that would run 68k apps directly on the native OS... But he seems to have gone offline :-/

Offline Dr. Chef

• Show only replies by Dr. Chef
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
Quote from: TomJ;699308
What is your opinion of Aros?
What is the newest version you have tried?
What systems have you installed it on and how did it perform?
I love it. It's my favorite Operating System.

The latest version I tried was Icaros 1.4.3.

I have it installed on my Athlon xII system. It works great in vesa mode, but it crashes once in a while. I got hardware acceleration to work (6200gs), but it crashes when ever I run more than one application, so I'm stuck with vesa mode until they fix it.
Computers
iBook G4 - OS: MorphOS 3.9
Amiga 500 NTSC (512k ram + 512k a501 trapdoor) - OS: WB 1.3
AMD FX-8350-8core - GTX 970 SC - 16GB Ram - Asus sabertooth 990fx r2
 Jesus is my king.