Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6  (Read 8393 times)

Description:

Offline TrinityTopic starter

• Show only replies by Trinity
Re: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 06:47:43 AM »
@

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 06:56:31 AM »
@

Offline kzin

• Show only replies by kzin
    • http://202.78.156.93
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 07:10:01 AM »
The best way to do what you want is with Amithlon, No windows required.

You can set up a HD with amiga OS on it then boot from the Amithlon CD it will automatically detect your HD and boot from it. Or you can set it up to boot from the HD only without the CD.

only... you cant get new CD's any more, but theres bound to be someone willing to sell their original. the mailing list is still active. And there are newkernels in the works for newer mother boards etc.

only #2... there is no AGA or Amiga chipset emulation in Amithlon, but you can run Amiga68K version of UAE to play games ETC.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 01:29:44 PM »

Well, AF6 is in no way an OS.

Yes, you can boot from the AF6 CD. But the OS which boots is Knoppix (Unix). The boot process then loads UAE, which is not a window manager but still an emulator. The emulator pretends to be Amiga hardware and the pretended Amiga hardware loads AmigaOS as if it was running on real Amiga hardware.

The same is true for WinUAE: AmigaOS runs on WinUAE which runs on Windows which runs on real hardware. With the only difference that WinUAE does not start automatically. But this can be configured.

AF6 also contains a complete AmigaOS installation and a beautiful looking launcher.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline elektro_fabius

• Show only replies by elektro_fabius
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 02:37:44 PM »
I've always said....

If you want an Amiga..buy it...if you want Win..buy a pc...if you want a Mac...buy it....

WinUAE is nice...but is really an emulator...in my opinion is good only for .adf games...
Bye ;)

Offline Thomas

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 04:09:57 PM »

Then your opinion is wrong. WinUAE forms the best, fastest and most compatible high-end Amiga there is. It is real fun using it, much more than a real Amiga. AmigaOS4 and MorhpOS are catching up, but they still need time.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »
@ Thomas:

Offline Thomas

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 06:35:22 PM »

You don't need WinUAE (it is UAE, not EAU). AmigaForever contains WinUAE. Mainly it is a preconfigured and preinstalled WinUAE.

AF contains all AmigaOS files which is needed to emulate an Amiga. And it contains emulators for several host OSes.

WinXP is the best choice to use AF.

You can also use it with Linux.

You can even use it with MacOS.

And you can use it without OS if you are happy with the preinstalled Knoppix. It cannot write to HDD though.

Windows is the best choice because AF was designed to be used with Windows. You can install AF to HDD and it is all ready to run. Just start the launcher, choose the configuration and WinUAE ist started which immediately boots into AmigaOS.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline BIG-IRON

• Show only replies by BIG-IRON
    • http://www.nojohnkerry.org/
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2004, 06:35:44 PM »
Amiga forever is all you need. I run it on my athlon 64 rig it works great you dont need anything else at all, period.
BIG IRON (Or \\"heavy metal [Cambridge]) Large, expensive,ultra-fast computers. Used generally of number crunching supercomputers such as Crays, but can include more conventional big commercial IBMish mainframes.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 11:35:47 PM »
Thanks Ty,

Making Windows XP look (and to an extent behave) like Workbench takes lots of patches & tweaking, but I'm happy with it (the gadgets at the tops of the Windows work in an Amiga way, apart from the cycling one).  It's kinda funny administering an Active Directory network in this way ;-)

If you have Win98 then WinUAE will work fine, it only misses a couple of the features.  I have it configured so it runs OS 3.9 with most of my old serious programs (pic editing, word processing, internet stuff) and a couple of HD installable games.

To be honest I find it indespensable as I can run games whithout having to drag my A1200 or A500+ out, but it's not a replacement for the A3000. On my P3 1200MHz it feels like a 40MHz '040 with super graphics speed, so yours will fly!

Let us know how you get on, and we'll do our best to help with any config trouble (Thomas is 'the man' for this! he's sorted 3 things for me, and I thought I was an expert ;-)).

ps. Like I said you can also set it to WinUAE replaces the Windows shell, however this isn't something to be taken lightly so see how you go with AF6 first ;-) If this is done with care it has the potential to be 90% like a Classic Amiga I recon (stuff like getting a Catweasel for using an Amiga keyboard and reading floppies, and careful case choice - you could fool many experts) and it's certainly closer than an A1 or Peg which I like

... sorry to waffle ... :lol:
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2004, 06:53:40 AM »
Holley ... yes it should be interesting ...

Offline Holley

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 03:26:07 PM »
If you're connecting to the internet then yes, get all the updates!  While Windows networking would only act as a pass-through it can still get one of the myriad of viruses I'm afraid, so a virus scanner that can auto-update is also a wise move :-( (AVG is free and can be set to auto-update, check out www.grisoft.com).

As for speed, with your setup it should fly along! In general use it'll certainly outstrip a 40MHz WarpEngine ;-)

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2004, 05:41:48 PM »
@ Holley:
 only in general use ... but not in or with Amiga programs such as IFX or a paint program ??

Offline Thomas

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2004, 06:26:39 PM »

Trinity wrote:
@ Holley:
 only in general use ... but not in or with Amiga programs such as IFX or a paint program ??

Everywhere. Your setup is clearly oversized if only used with WinUAE. On every PC with 1000MHz or above WinUAE will run more than 2 to 10 times faster than every Amiga which ever existed. It even outperforms a CyberstormPPC 233MHz.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Holley

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2004, 06:47:01 PM »
Sorry, short of rendering lightwave images most everything counts as 'general use' in my book ;-)

BTW Thomas - have you got a way for AmiSSL to redirect to Windows instead of looking for AmiTCP?

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 24, 2004, 08:19:12 PM »
Holley ...correct me if I'm wrong ,but I was under the impression that lightwave was a "Toaster