Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Software Hut Back In Business?  (Read 4999 times)

Description:

Offline amiga1084Topic starter

• Show only replies by amiga1084
Is Software Hut Back In Business?
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:01:20 AM »
Hello All,

I was googling Amiga software and I came along this site! Is this true?

Check it out!

http://softhut.us/

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Re: Is Software Hut Back In Business?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
Well that is good news.. However doesn't look like much in the way of larger hardware..ie machines, motherboards etc..

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
The "going rates" comment worries me.
It doesn't look like we are likely to be getting any bargains.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;753747
The "going rates" comment worries me.
It doesn't look like we are likely to be getting any bargains.

i'll try to keep prices as low as possible, but joe has to sign off on the price list before i post it. after all -- this is still his stuff, so i only have so much leverage. i'm just volunteering to sell it for him because i hated the idea that it would just get thrown out or otherwise destroyed in his warehouse over time.

p.s.: i didn't anticipate google finding the site just yet. the little blog was just for a few friends to follow. but now that everyone knows, yeah, i'm trying my best to get through all of the stuff. quite a lot isn't really worth much -- like tons and tons of old CDs of textures or PD software or ancient DRAM chips that probably don't even work anymore -- but some of it is. anyway, we'll see how it goes.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »
That blog is great, just skimmed it, will have to sit down with it a little later and read completely, but ahh, I love it. An Amiga adventure, and involvement from one of our own forum members here. Good luck to you and Joe in this venture! :)

:pint::pint:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
eliyahu

This is great news! Thanks for taking this on. I actually thought about getting in touch with Joe and doing this myself. If Iwas still on east coast I would have. I think its most important to catalogue whats there. I'm sure there is some good parts. And I will be needing many  as I'm sure alot of the muppets like me here will ;)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
I posted up looking for an Amiga 500.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what all is for sale...

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:33:44 AM »
This IS great news! Spent thousands there, even got my A1XE from Joe. Looking forward to seeing whats available.

Chris

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
Wow. quite a haul you had there. Sad that we've lost the only half way decent retailer in the country.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
This sort of situation was how AmigaKit in the UK was started! The demise of Eyetech, the British equivalent of Software Hut was turned into a business opportunity as Leaman Computing bought up the stock and started AmigaKit. The rest if history!

Has Eldee Stephens thought about buying up the stock himself and becoming the new AmigaOS reseller/systems builder/peripheral shop for North America? I know there is an AmigaKit branch in San Francisco but this might be good competition for them!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline amigakit

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
@BozzerBigD

We were trading in the Amiga market for a good few years before we acquired the Eyetech inventory.

this might be good competition for them!
I think there is a misunderstanding on how large the Amiga market is in reality.  From a professional Amiga business point of view, in this tiny worldwide market, extra competition is not necessarily good for us.  Margins are already wafer thin and our overheads/running costs are large, remember we have bills, taxes and wages to pay every month.  Our profits get re-invested back into Amiga projects so that we have new items to bring to the community next year.  We depend on every single order we get from our customer base, and appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:08:39 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
When you are on the subject of re-investing in the amiga market, is there any chance of a new zorro based graphics card?
There is a bunch of different projects, memory boards, ethernet, soundcard and usb cards being produced, but IMHO we/the market needs a new graphics card for ZorroII/III.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:17:53 PM »
We need to get the Prisma Sound Card out first- if that is successful, we will of course look at other viable projects.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;753793
@BozzerBigD

We were trading in the Amiga market for a good few years before we acquired the Eyetech inventory.

I think there is a misunderstanding on how large the Amiga market is in reality.  From a professional Amiga business point of view, in this tiny worldwide market, extra competition is not necessarily good for us.  Margins are already wafer thin and our overheads/running costs are large, remember we have bills, taxes and wages to pay every month.  Our profits get re-invested back into Amiga projects so that we have new items to bring to the community next year.  We depend on every single order we get from our customer base, and appreciate it.
Sorry, I can see that you were already in business before the Eyetech inventory buyout;

From http://www.leamancomputing.com/?page=about
Company History
Leaman Computing was formed and started operations in July 2004.

Offices in Cardiff(UK) were opened in August 2006.

In September 2006, Leaman Computing announces acquisition of remaining stock from Eyetech Group, Limited.

On 6th April 2009 entire business was transferred to Leaman Computing Limited.

However, as far as most Amiga owners are concerned the fact that you had all that Eyetech stock really was the point where your public profile rose.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios