Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New layout looks good...  (Read 4031 times)

Description:

Offline adzTopic starter

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
New layout looks good...
« on: February 16, 2004, 12:06:34 AM »
...albiet a little slow on my 64K link, actually, painfully slow is a better description...

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: New layout looks good...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:10:27 AM »
Slow on 64k really?

I'm using 33k6 at the moment, all seems fine, so it must be a problem at your end

Offline adzTopic starter

• Knight of the Sock
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 01:13:27 AM »
More than likely on DEET's end, my proxy is showing bugger all usage at the moment, will have to wait and see what happens at home on a 56K link. Come to think of it, I was kinda rude assuming that it was the site and not me, sorry.

Offline adzTopic starter

• Knight of the Sock
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 08:20:18 AM »
Tis a lot better at home on 56K, in fact I reckon its a bit faster than the previous layout.

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:39:38 AM »
I agree it is a bit slower, which surprised me given the optimisations built into XOOPS2.

Wayne, if the grumpies on the site force you to go back to XOOPS 1.3 Im sure between the three sites that use it ( AmigaWorld, Targhan's Morphzone and your Amiga.org ) we can manage patching any exploits and bugs that get found between us.

BTW, only main XOOPS support for 1.3 has been dropped but Im guessing your hosting provider mandated the upgrade.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 12:52:07 PM »
Going back to Xoops 1.3.x is not an option because of the security risks.  It's not going to happen.
Michael

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »
I think A.org whent from amazing to crap! im sorry but as it is now it sucks bigtime! i can understand why they did it though.

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 01:08:25 PM »
@ everyone,
I think A.org whent from amazing to crap! im sorry but as it is now it sucks bigtime! i can understand why they did it though.

As I have said elsewhere on the site, this type of comment provides NO HELP AT ALL!!!  The change to Xoops2 was made mainly because of security reasons.  With it comes many layout changes.  Yes, some of you may not like it, and it will take some getting used to.  Rather than simply bitching about it, why don't you provide some constructive criticism point-by-point, backed up with reasoning for each one.  We're more inclined to listen to something like that than arbitrary whining.  Like Wayne, I am tired of it!!   :evil:
Michael

Offline Ogy

• Show only replies by Ogy
    • http://www.cliffsoncape.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »
Engine behind it all might be more secure and faster - but graphicaly is really #OOPS#e... It just needs a bit of visual magic and it would be fine

Offline DaveP

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 01:53:30 PM »
What security risks? I find this a curious one really. Ive been through all the publically known advisories and checked our site covers them all, where it applies, with patches. Ive even found some extras through my own testing that Ive notified Targhan of the fixes for.

Perhaps it is something peculiar to your own setup that made XOOPS1.3 insecure.

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 03:01:20 PM »
@Dave,

Sorry, but we're not really interested in publicly discussing the security holes in 1.3.10.  I've already notified the core coders, so we'll see what they do with it.  Just keep an eye out on individual user records.  I'm fairly certain we were targetted by someone who didn't like being banned, but if it can happen to us...

Wayne

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 03:08:24 PM »

I agree with Silvrdrgn. There is simply too much bitchin' around here. There has been a huge change in AO's looks, but as I have understood it, this will change as time passes...

Looks aren't everything... :)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 03:09:30 PM »
SilvrDrgn wrote:
As I have said elsewhere on the site, this type of comment provides NO HELP AT ALL!!!  The change to Xoops2 was made mainly because of security reasons.  With it comes many layout changes.  Yes, some of you may not like it, and it will take some getting used to.  Rather than simply bitching about it, why don't you provide some constructive criticism point-by-point, backed up with reasoning for each one.  We're more inclined to listen to something like that than arbitrary whining.  Like Wayne, I am tired of it!!   :evil:

Very well. I was rather surprised by the layout change, and I'm sure I'll be able to navigate my way around the site in good time again. The one thing which immediately struck me as 'awkward' is that there is very little visual separation between posts in the forum. To the eye, it is now one long text, with little distinction between each separate one. There's only two indicators (avatar info and reply button), and they are not in the same 'vertical column' as the text. Inside the 'column' there's just a bit of bold text. But since everyone can insert bold text... You get the idea.

As it stands now, the old layout was simply easier on the eyes. I'm staying away on purpose from hollow phrases like 'I want the old site back!' or 'The new look is crap!'---I'm sure the site is still undergoing massive editing and tweaking. But you wanted constructive criticism, so here are my two cents. Now excuse me while I have a look about what new features I have at my disposal ;-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 03:20:53 PM »
@Wayne

OK fair enough but if you could send us a private message as to what you have been seeing it would be a tremendous help in securing ours and Targhan's site against the idiots.

Dave.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 03:30:51 PM »
Please e-mail me a screenshot from your machine as I simply don't understand your comments.  The fields for comments are varied by color and easily distinguishable.  The only thing I can think without seeing what you're complaining about is that you're running a browser so old that it doesn't understand TD bgcolor=

If that's the case, you need to upgrade your browser, as there is zero I can do to fix it.

Wayne