Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls  (Read 13076 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 11:40:43 PM »
1) refining the rules?

I always thought the rules were quite fine, but I may be wrong.

2) Getting stricter? (good idea or bad?)

It depends on how it goes. I can tell you that *I*, personally, would go through withdrawals if I got banned from A.org for a week or so. I don't see how that could backfire either, 'cos the more out of line or rowdy  they get about it, the more they're banned.

3) Re-hashing the forums into a new schema to include more forums for personal discussion?

I LIKE this idea. Call it the 'Gibberish Section' or something that's exclusively for the humor and guffaw of the Amiga.org members. THAT would cut down on the DMZ posting and those that could care less about those particular threads, wouldn't need or bother to go.

I will admit that I have been WAY out there on my posts at times (thank GOD no one's fragged me for some of them. :-D) , but what Amiga user out there ISN'T way out there??!?? Maybe the Mods should lock threads more often or just outright give warning, 'Hey...it's getting a bit out of hand.' and kick 'em for a time, if they don't listen. I mean, if  I said something that was out of line (which I assume I have not) and got kicked for a time for it, I'd have no one to blame, but myself.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Dr.Bongo

• Show only replies by Dr.Bongo
    • http://www.c64radio.com
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2004, 11:48:38 PM »
How about if posts in the Talk-about section didn`t count toward your post rating. Wouldn`t this mean people would be more likley to only post if they had something genuine/intersting to say?

It seems a little silly that you have to go to measures though. If people genuinely support the Amiga you`d think they would support it`s user groups.
38911 BASIC BYTES FREE, less when I`ve had a drink!

*** http://c64radio.com *** Commodore 64 Radio 24/7 for free!

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2004, 11:50:24 PM »
I don't post on a.org very often, but I do read it everyday.  What annoys me most about the forums is:

1.  People using HTML in their posts - often enormous images, which also appear in people's replies to the offending post.

2.  People posting garbage like "this is my 4000th post".  I think this is the worst kind of crapflooding.

3.  People posting stuff for the sake of it, that doesn't actually say anything.

What I'd like to stay in the Talk-about forums:

1.  People posting stuff about their lives - like finishing uni & wondering what to do next, just been dumped, planning a travel adventure, etc...  Amigans still have lives outside their Amiga-ish systems and some of these threads have been interesting reading and had some insightful replies.

2.  Politics.  Apart from "FluffyMcDeath"'s never ending and tiresome crusade against the United States (this loon also used to have a picture of a 20-year old Saddam Hussein on his avatar).  I've read some interesting threads about politics with an international flavour that you don't always find in Murdoch's finest.

If you're having trouble with your moderators, then I'd be quite happy to volunteer.  I'm well qualified because I am not allied with either side (I was indepdently classified as a "freelance/general troll" on ANN!).  I am definately not a name-follower, and I won't be putting up with any stupid picture-threads, threads about people bragging that they've posted 3 million pieces of ####, I don't get power-crazed, I'm not a patronising twit (like a certain other moderator here is), and I'm not about to fall in love with either side.

Waiting in anticipation  :-D

-smithy

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2004, 11:54:55 PM »
Here's a crazy suggestion: Start flying the MorphOS banner. I assume when you say trolls, you mean 'red trolls' so why not just stop dancing around it and do it? The red trolls already have a home at AW (see avatar), and now the blue trolls will have a home as well.

This has nothing to do with red or blue trolls ... just general trolls.
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2004, 11:57:18 PM »
I offered to return and was politely turned down.

I only recall that you said that you might want to return some day ... I can't recall turning you down ...

Kees

Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2004, 12:00:37 AM »
It would be a nice start if we really knew what was considered acceptable. I mean, this has all blown up just now, mostly down to a couple of wankers who think they're rather funny. You can't underestimate the effect they've had on people, even those who don't appreciate their humour.

But I don't know the extent to which Wayne sees fit to cut back on off-topic conversation. For instance, if I start a thread about Paintmashing, is that welcome, or simply "tolerated?" This is freaking most people out, they're wondering what they've done wrong. I think in all fairness, names should be named. There are a couple of members that most people would like to see banned. Ones who cross the line on purpose and don't see fit to rectify it when they realise it's offending people. Perhaps that, coupled with the fact that we're now talking about this, would help?

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2004, 12:02:33 AM »
Oh... and people posting jokes;  NO! :-x

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2004, 12:02:33 AM »
Wayne, Kees, Red!!! Lads lads lads... lets keep this on topic please :lol:

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2004, 12:03:14 AM »

smithy wrote:
FluffyMcDeath... loon...

Where's the wisdom in slagging people off in this of all threads?

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2004, 12:11:05 AM »

I couldn't agree more, Mate. ;-)
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2004, 12:12:42 AM »

that_punk_guy wrote:

smithy wrote:
FluffyMcDeath... loon...

I agree, I like having Fluffy around, he doesn't post stupid pictures and troll with his mates. I liked AOrg the way it was last Autumn, when the DMZ was lively, before T_bone left...

Honestly guys, instead of making rules, shall we just lead by example? Lets get back to some good ol' discussion. And if someone trolls, ignore them, no matter how tempting it is to reply!
I like Amigas

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2004, 12:14:29 AM »
Amiga.org is what we make it...

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2004, 12:21:38 AM »
Make some stricter rules, then give a warning or two when rule is broken... If that fails, then ban is only option i guess...

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2004, 12:32:05 AM »
I would agree with a combination of Wayne's suggestions (built upon by some others)  Say...moderators could be a bit more strict in enforcing rules, but also create a seperate forum for 'just plain goofiness."

If possible, set the then established 'goofiness' forum to automatically dump threads that have had no activity for more than 2 weeks.

Then when an inappropriate thread comes down the talk-about section, it can be moved and the poster can be slapped.
Professional Expatriate

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2004, 03:05:51 AM »
1. People using HTML in their posts - often enormous images, which also appear in people's replies to the offending post.
Why shouldn't people take advantage of the World Wide Web when posting on a web forum?!? Perhaps we should turn A.org into a telnet/gopher server then?!?

2. People posting garbage like "this is my 4000th post". I think this is the worst kind of crapflooding.
It's called a right of passage. It's goofy, no argument there, but at the same time it's good to (self) honor those long time users of Amiga.org, with which without there would not BE an Amiga.org.

3. People posting stuff for the sake of it, that doesn't actually say anything.
Well that's highly subjective. Communication is always good. I'm surprised people are so anal about this crap-flooding BS. Personally, I think it livens things up a bit. I mean, A.org is full of wacky characters, many of which I strongly disagree with, while others I'm indifferent with, but I'd never want to see anyone be removed. If someone's a goof, well, the world is full of goofs and that tells me that even goofs have a role to play.

2. Politics. Apart from "FluffyMcDeath"'s never ending and tiresome crusade against the United States (this loon also used to have a picture of a 20-year old Saddam Hussein on his avatar).
One man's loon is another man's straight talker. However it seems you're perfectly fine with personal attacks (perhaps you should have made that point number 3). How charming.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 27, 2004, 03:09:32 AM »

bloodline wrote:
Wayne, Kees, Red!!! Lads lads lads... lets keep this on topic please :lol:
Please Bloodline, no laughing allowed! However it's perfectly fine to insult someone.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE