Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Retina BLT Z3  (Read 1751 times)

Description:

Retina BLT Z3
« on: December 28, 2002, 04:43:08 AM »
Hey all, I am about to aquire a Retina BLT Z3 for my A3000T. I am wondering how does this board stack up with say a GVP spectrum or Cybervision 64/3D, or any of the other GFX cards available for the Amiga? I have heard that the Retina BLT was a good card to have, but there is scarce information on the net about it. If any of you have experiences with this particular card, I would like to know about them.

Thanks.

Offline AmigaSource

• AmigaSource.com
    • Show only replies by AmigaSource
    • amigasource.com
Re: Retina BLT Z3
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 06:52:14 AM »
Hello Mouser,
   I purchased a used Retina Z3 about 6 years ago for my A4000.  One of the BEST investments I have ever made.  But if I had the choice between the Retina and a Cybervision I would take the Cybervision!  
  As far as driver software?  I gave the Retina Emu about 10 seconds on my system.  It's CRAP compared to CGX or P96.  (Please keep in mind that when it first came out it was adequate.  Remember there wasn't much else out there.)
   Throughout the years I have bounced between both of them.  I personally like CGX for the drag down screens.  P96 doesn't allow this. (Not that I really have a need for this feature.  It just makes me feel I’m still using a classic Amiga.)  P96 is also very good, in fact I like it more than CGX.  Something about the interface and the feel of the perfomance.  It seems quicker.
   Right now I have CGX 4v.0 installed because I can use Lightwave 4.0 with this GREAT patch I found on Aminet that allows me to render on a non Picasso video card.  There is no patch for P96.
  Bottom line.  Unless you have a specific need they both seem to work just fine.  I hope this helps!
Please visit AmigaSource.com!!! Since 2001... Your NEW source for Amiga information. *** Always Under Construction *** (Over 3000+ Amiga links for your viewing pleasure! -- Please help spread the word!)

Offline CosmoCarl

• Show only replies by CosmoCarl
    • http://www.members.optushome.com.au/mrnicholls/
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 08:41:11 AM »
Retina BLT Z3 works well on my 4000 in T using P96
takes a little work to config P96 then using a good PC monitor display is good.
Rebuilt LX Torana. 308 group C. built by Peter Mac. 3500 rpm stall
auto/ manual shift. 9\\" dff.  
A real delight just like my 4000 in T and 1200.

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 10:32:47 AM »
no personal experience, but I have several advertisements "at-hand" in my Amiga World magazine collection.

sounds like a good card
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline matt3k

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 01:40:10 PM »
Great card, faster than the GVP and on par with the CV64.  I own all 3 of these cards and my favorite is the Z3.  For trivia's sake it was the most expensive new, payed $640 US dollars for mine.  I don't own a CV64/3D, so I can't compare.  

Enjoy.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 04:16:26 PM »
hmmm ok now this made me and alot more (i guess) confused.....

afaik Retina is a NON CGX/p96 card , so what software do u use? , and does it have any limitations to the NORMAL OS apps and running os friendly stuff??  (forget aga and such, im asking about RTG!)

secondly lightwave does renders on p96 screens also if u have the upd and lw 5.1->5.2

(this post was edited due to major typo's :))
Whats up with all the hate!