Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Emulation - Questions  (Read 1276 times)

Description:

Offline FedorenkoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fedorenko
Amiga Emulation - Questions
« on: September 03, 2003, 08:28:05 AM »
Hi,

I have never used an Amiga, but Im really keen to try out AmigaOS, but Im too cheap to shell out for an AmigaONE :D. Ive been lurking around here for a while, but only have decided to register today.  Im currently working on setting up a computer, that has the OSs that I am intereasted in, emulated on top of Windows XP.

To cut a long storry short, I am wondering how AmigaForever and kin operate when running ontop of Windows? Does it support running AmigaOS in a window?

Thanks.

Offline ipino

• Show only replies by ipino
Re: Amiga Emulation - Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »
Well, I've been lurking for many months and this is my first post ever !

However Amiga Forever is based upon WinUAE, but it also gives kickstart files for various versions of AmigaOS... don't remember whether it contains the WB disks or not, but maybe yes...

However the answer to your question is 'yes' because WinUAE can run AmigaOS in a window on your desktop as well as full screen.
Other emulators are not so featured and supported as WinUAE is, so I think it is the only real choice you have.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 09:25:41 AM »
Thanks, WinUAE it is!

Offline alx

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 09:43:32 AM »
@Fedorenko, ipino

Welcome to A.org :-D

@Fedorenko

If you haven't got a real Amiga, then you'll need to get Amiga Forever.  As ipino said, it comes with ROM images (and WB disk images) that you need for an emulator - it is illegal to download them.  Amiga Forever is cheap, and comes with loads of stuff - every AmigaOS (except the last two versions), ready-made environments, transfer utilities etc.

Offline ACEFNQ

• Show only replies by ACEFNQ
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 09:58:17 AM »
Fedorenko
Welcome to Amiga Org.  I run WINUAE on my PIV 2.6.
It runs really well.  I did buy Amiga Forever (from V3)a couple of years ago and whilst their package was good I got stung with buying an online version with an upgrade just around the corner.  They did however respond to my complaints by offering a free upgrade later but somewhere the serial nos all conflicted.  Never the less I have the roms I needed, another good option to start with Amiga In A Box, a great effort to start folks off.  Email me for more info if you wish.

Cheers
ACE

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 11:03:51 AM »
AmigaForever doesnt include the last 2 versions of AmigaOS, but if you were to buy them could you run them?

Offline alx

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 11:11:43 AM »
AmigaForever doesnt include the last 2 versions of AmigaOS, but if you were to buy them could you run them?

Yes.  OS3.5 and OS3.9 didn't come on ROMs like all previous OSes - they use the 3.1 Kickstart ROM, which comes with Amiga Forever.

Offline theguru

• Show only replies by theguru
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 01:16:27 PM »
Yes, you can install and run Amiga OS 3.5 and 3.9 on AmigaOS. I even have Dopus Megallan II installed on my Winuae installation.

See http://www.pcguru.plus.com/uae_faq.html