Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odamex for AmigaOS?!?  (Read 2174 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Odamex for AmigaOS?!?
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
Can someone with coding knowledge tell me why AmigaOS is mentioned on this page and what it means?

Please tell me someone is trying to port this to AmigaOS!!! :)

http://www.odamex.net/svn/filedetails.php?repname=Odamex&path=%2Fbranches%2F0.6-dev%2Flibminiupnpc%2FMakefile&peg=2720
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
Re: Odamex for AmigaOS?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »
Well look like its compiling some sort of *nix library..

It checks weather uname returns AmigaOS or Darwin.. and then compiles accordingly.

Darwin is MAC OS as you probably know which is a fork from FreeBSD.. *I believe*

I would guess since Mac OSX X86/PPC is supported then the AmigaOS probably means OS 4.x PPC since thats like the Mac PPC and Im guessing OS 4.x probably has more *nix feel to it and still reports under uname as being AmigaOS?.. I've never used it so dont 100% know..

Offline darkage

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »
Here you go same lib but mentions OS 4.1 SDK and something about GeekGadgets OS3 but I put my bet on OS 4.x support first instead of classic OS..

http://odamex.net/svn/diff.php?repname=Odamex&path=%2Ftrunk%2Flibminiupnpc%2FREADME&rev=2283

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
Holy crap! If they get this working I'm going to have to invest into a Sam!

Thankx for the help!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
That page is to do with libminiupnpc, not specifically Odamex. If I recall correctly that lib itself compiles without any problems, but there's another trickier (gui related if memory serves me correctly) dependency that is a problem.

Been a while since I tried it, but Im pretty sure it was some gui related code/lib rather than the Odamex engine itself that made me put it aside. I may be mistaken, but I think the problematic dependancy of Odamex is the same reason even PRBoom+ doesnt exist for any amiga derived systems.

edit: damn you XDelusion. Between this and your thread on aros-exec Im starting to get the doom modding bug again  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:25:40 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:12:37 AM »
So it looks like one of the members of the Odamex team own an Amiga me thinks. I'm going to have to contact them and ask them about this. I do know that they are trying to spread it to as many platforms as possible (Classic XBOX included), but it is rare that I ever see projects for Amiga like OS's listed on people's project sites. Prolly because MorphOS and Amiga OS require money to use. As for why I see a shortage of people trying to port to AROS is still beyond me.

Anyhow, in relation to Odamex and PrBOOM Plus' GUI....

Actually Odamex has two binary files. One is for the launcher, which is what I presume you are talking about, and the other is just the binary to launch the game itself.

I presume that a port could be done that abandons the GUI all together and just brings over the binary that launches the game directly...

THis would take care of the Single Player side of things for sure, but considering that Odamex has become the ULTIMATE way to play DOOM on-line, we'd prolly want to have support for all that to, which I would think could either be accomplished via command line, or by creating a simple MUI/Zune interface.

PrBOOM Plus on the other hand is a single binary that has the GUI included in it. I'm not sure how a coder would get around that except maybe to compare the additions with the original PRBOOM source, separate those components, then add in the non-GUI related additions that have been put into PrBOOM Plus.

Just a thought.

Anyhoo, in relation to your edit. A DOOM Community project built by Amiga users would be an interesting project. I.E. if you, I, and maybe a couple other people got together and created a set of maps which we would then combine into a megawad.

Not something I'm ready to dive into at the moment, but a worthy project for the future me thinks! ;)

Quote from: fishy_fiz;693257
That page is to do with libminiupnpc, not specifically Odamex. If I recall correctly that lib itself compiles without any problems, but there's another trickier (gui related if memory serves me correctly) dependency that is a problem.

Been a while since I tried it, but Im pretty sure it was some gui related code/lib rather than the Odamex engine itself that made me put it aside. I may be mistaken, but I think the problematic dependancy of Odamex is the same reason even PRBoom+ doesnt exist for any amiga derived systems.

edit: damn you XDelusion. Between this and your thread on aros-exec Im starting to get the doom modding bug again  :)

Offline darkage

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:45:05 AM »
Man I havent played Doom for umm 18 or 19 years..  Whao just found out it was released in 1993.. Didnt even know it was that new when I was playing it..  

Geez time whizzes past so fast..

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:40:55 AM »
Nah, that's what Im saying. The amiga os references there may not even have anything to do with Odamex. It seems more likely that its to do with libminiupnpc, which is used elsewhere too (networking based lib).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;693316
Nah, that's what Im saying. The amiga os references there may not even have anything to do with Odamex. It seems more likely that its to do with libminiupnpc, which is used elsewhere too (networking based lib).

Aghhhh... :/

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
I dont know for sure, so there's still hope :) If I was a gambling man though I would put my money on the amiga os references being to do with libminiupnpc, perhaps placed by people in amiga land having used it for something rather than key Odamex devvers.

Just a guess though, and Id be happy to be wrong.

Backtracking slightly to the Doom modding, could be fun to do an amiga game based mod using something like Boom (cos of it being the lowest enhanced common denominator available for all amiga based systems.systems). An AB3d based mod could be cool. I know there's one being worked on for quake, but the quake engine doesnt feel quite right for ab3d in my opinion. Doom seems a better fit, even if it does lack a few features of ab3d2.

Speaking of Doom, this was a pleasant surprise while browsing aros-exec:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/AROS/AROSx86_64-2012-05-16-00-18-01.png
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:06:10 PM by fishy_fiz »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
Heh, I saw that. :)

An AB3D mod would be fitting, and Boom does still manage to pack a punch...

I think that would be a worthy project! One thing is for sure, the controls would be greatly improved!

Btw, did you ever fix your port of PrBoom for AROS?

Quote from: fishy_fiz;693338
I dont know for sure, so there's still hope :) If I was a gambling man though I would put my money on the amiga os references being to do with libminiupnpc, perhaps placed by people in amiga land having used it for something rather than key Odamex devvers.

Just a guess though, and Id be happy to be wrong.

Backtracking slightly to the Doom modding, could be fun to do an amiga game based mod using something like Boom (cos of it being the lowest enhanced common denominator available for all amiga based systems.systems). An AB3d based mod could be cool. I know there's one being worked on for quake, but the quake engine doesnt feel quite right for ab3d in my opinion. Doom seems a better fit, even if it does lack a few features of ab3d2.

Speaking of Doom, this was a pleasant surprise while browsing aros-exec:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/AROS/AROSx86_64-2012-05-16-00-18-01.png

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
I was probably taking my hobbies a bit too seriously for a while there so was pretty offput by the whole "NG" Amiga scene :) Point being I hadnt touched AROS or PRBoom for ages. It was only opengl rendering that I was having a problem with last I tried though. Something seemed a bit broken when using gl with sdl on aros at the time. Ive *finally* got my computer issues sorted and have got my amithlon and aros machines back up and running so I'll have a look tonight. Still have the (slightly) modified sources so I just need to compile it.
An ab3d mod using opengl sounds fun actually :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;693343

An ab3d mod using opengl sounds fun actually :)

I think it would be a worth while venture. Now I want to play through all the old games so I can get a feel for its "essence" so to speak.

It would make for a nice side project to work on alOng side of my PrBoom Plus Star Wars TC.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Alright Fish, I have not been able to shake this project idea from my mind. I really like the idea of trying to revive the Alien Breed series via the Boom engine on Amiga (and other platforms). If done well, I can see the community taking to it well.

My 1200's are out of commission atm, and my 600's are off being re-capped, so I put the ADF images of the original series on my XBOX, and have re-installed Amikit on my main PC and installed Alien Breed 3D 1 and 2 on there.

Tonight I'm going to configure Joy2Key so I can play through them via XBOX 360 controller.

The idea is to go through all the games in the series so that I can learn how everything works and acts. I need to know the enemies and their behavior, as well as the general level lay outs so I can conform to all this as much as possible.

On top of all this I am getting the new trilogy for Windows so I can play through them and maybe draw ideas from them to incorporate into this project.

I just downloaded the AB 3D II sources off Aminet and am going to fish through them tonight so I can hopefully find and make use of the textures, sprites, and sounds.

Likewise I'm about to start searching the web for a model viewer for the new games so see if it might be possible to take screen grabs of them and convert them to sprites...

Textures and sounds from that series might be a bonus as well.

Will post my work as I get there...