Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A500 mouse issue  (Read 912 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

A500 mouse issue
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
Hi

I was using an A5000 accelerator on an A500 which uses its own software to boot and has a weird mouse pointer. Anyway after a while of using I started to get this very strange issue with the mouse pointer. It basically would move to the base of say an icon and then jump to the top of it making it impossible to click the icon,

I rebooted the computer in 1.3 and found the same problem. At just about half way or just above on the screen the mouse will not settle at a specific horozontal band on the screen. I can just get the scroll vertical to work above the line. I can use the Amiga and arrow key to move the mouse. But it simply jumps above the icons and won't settle over them with the mouse.

I replaced the ROM and reseated everything. I know its not the CIAs but I swapped them anyway. Could be Denise. I reseated . Also tried several mice and no different.

The A5000 worked no problem.. just wish it hadn't burnt out the mouse controller. Cus I fear its soldered to the board.

Any ideas.

scuzz

Offline paul1981

Re: A500 mouse issue
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
Are you sure this couldn't be a virus or something on your 'special' disk? It sounds very suspicious to me.

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »
Wow that got me thinking. Anyway wasn't a virus. Certainly felt like one.

I decided to take the A500 down the ECS route and set forth swapping out all the chips. I had already swapped out the ROM to the 2.04. Then when I checked the CPU I found a dodgy pin connector on the socket. Nothing I could do but wing it. Looks like it has always been that way.

What I did find was that the floppy was no longer working and I was getting a solid green and yellow light.

I swapped out GARY first and that cleared the yellow light but the floppy was broken. DEAD. So I dragged in another and cleaned the heads and she worked no problem. I was again into the Workbench screen but the mouse was still stuttering at icons heights.

Next I swapped out PAULA but that didn't make any difference either.

And finally good old DENISE..... My goodness that worked. The stuttering gone completely. So it was DENISE. And so I quickly restored her to her previous self including the memory card but excluding the A5000 and she is running without problem. I checked everything including keyboard.

I really cannot have one of my troops down. Took me two days but I got there. Phew... I thought for a moment I had hit my first capacitor issue. Close one that. Still haven't recapped anything and its all still working fine.

Onwards.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
Well done, I'll have to remember that one.  ;D