Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 50184 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Ease off bashing Amiga x1000?
« Reply #194 from previous page: July 26, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
Quote from: A1260;742435
no it was not the bashing that drive me away. it actually was the high price, never finished drivers and os4 not out of the beta. that was what drive me away from my amiga hobby. you can squeeze people so much, but at some point its gonna snap peoples wallets and they will leave. that is what happen and not bashing and i was a great member. now i just do a little of aros/winuae and not much here.

Agreed, milking it for every penny was foolish.
It defeated the OS' long term chance for survival.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742413
A rewrite means that it was written from scratch, no different to AROS or MorphOS.

I don't take AmigaOS as a continuation of the Amiga OS. Firstly because it's a rewrite (Remember The Friedens vs Hyperion court case?), secondly if it were it would have the legal right to use the Amiga trademark, which it doesn't.

As far as I do remember, court case has proven Amiga Inc supplied AmigaOS 3.0 code, instead Os 3.9 code. That much had to be "decoded" from assambly language and rewritten is true, however I do find it was a try to move same OS forward, unlike MorphOS and AROS that really started from scratch. It does hold right to AmigaOS name - I don`t understand what doesn`t make it an AmigaOS.

MorphOS started as a rewrite of the Amiga OS by the "superstar" coders of the Amiga scene who had spent the 90's keeping our beloved platform alive.  OS4 started because a greedy wannabe lawyer and a greedy truck driver wanted to milk as much money as they could from what was remaining of our community.

Yes, I do remember its beginning and loved it was first PPC only AOS implementation. I just could not afford a PPC expansion at the time.

I agree on Amiga Inc stance, while they have intitiated and early finaced AmigaOS 4 development, they always looked at it as some gap solution until OS5 which they newer brought to life. I feel a lot advancement after the court case on AOS4 side. How different would be if MOS was taken as basis, well we can only theorize.

I do agree MorphOS has Amiga users heritage, but isn`t AmigaOS continuation, but compatibile new OS, while AmigaOS is build on exactly same structure (not only  name bearer).

Unfortunately for Billy and Benji most of the best coders had already started the MorphOS project and they were left with hardly anyone of note to write their Amiga OS clone "AmigaOS".

Seems Hyperion was only choice. Haage & Partner (OS 3.5,OS 3.9) have already left the place.

The AROS and MorphOS teams have already worked together for years.

Glad for it.

Well I would have even more but the Chetniks brutally raped and murdered them. But that's a story for the Coffee House forum methinks

Well, as someone born in Yugoslavia, I do feel sadness for every victim (and not killed person - raped - emigrated etc.) of the civic war. However, mind that even it was promoted so, real "Chetniks" "Ustashes" as so on belong to 1945. These were brutal often paramilitaries or locally raised armies.

Feel free to open it at cofee house, I am quite fed up with revisiting any of civic wars during break up of Yugoslavia. Simply no winner and way too much victims for realistically nothing - weaker states.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742413
MorphOS started as a rewrite of the Amiga OS by the "superstar" coders of the Amiga scene who had spent the 90's keeping our beloved platform alive.  OS4 started because a greedy wannabe lawyer and a greedy truck driver wanted to milk as much money as they could from what was remaining of our community.

For me the problem with MorphOS was with BBRV long before Hyperion had anything to do with OS development. His business tactic were in my eyes bad: he seemed to go from confrontation to confrontation in the Amiga world. Although long ago I also do seem to remember having problems with Ralph Smidth's attitude; this was still the time forums didn't exists and usenet was the place to discuss things.
What I do agree with is that Bill McEwen is likely incompetent for leading a company.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline wawrzon

Re: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »
i think there always be problems in attitude and confrontations. therefore where the people claim prominent positions it will always be handicap. again i see here advantage in aros, where i feel it is not so important and even if there are leading personalities the whole effort is rather anonymous and easier to identify with without a need to subject oneself.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;742514
i think there always be problems in attitude and confrontations. therefore where the people claim prominent positions it will always be handicap. again i see here advantage in aros, where i feel it is not so important and even if there are leading personalities the whole effort is rather anonymous and easier to identify with without a need to subject oneself.

Sounds like a great way to lose.

And I have no problem with Bill Buck or Ralph Schmidt.
Ralph is a genius.
They had a plan in place, and Bill tried to pull the rug out from under them.
Funny, since he did not profit from it and later had it done to him.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
Quote from: Fats;742502
For me the problem with MorphOS was with BBRV long before Hyperion had anything to do with OS development.

I think Hyperion were in the OS business before BBRV.

Not that it matters much. They both lost.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nicholas

« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:02 PM »
Quote from: itix;742520
I think Hyperion were in the OS business before BBRV.

Not that it matters much. They both lost.

We the users lost the most. :(
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;742514

I have no doubt that AROS (Well, a derivative of it) will win in the end.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742526
I have no doubt that AROS (Well, a derivative of it) will win in the end.

it has promise, Nik.
But consider how many Linux distros have withered up and gone away.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742528
it has promise, Nik.
But consider how many Linux distros have withered up and gone away.

True, but when Hyperion finally run out of cows to milk and the money dries up and the MOS-Team get bored/die from old age the code to AROS will still be there for anyone to hack away at and compile.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742518
Sounds like a great way to lose.
dont think i see it in categories of win or lose, win against whom? lose against whom? we are all doomed to ose at this point sooner or later.
And I have no problem with Bill Buck or Ralph Schmidt.
Ralph is a genius.
They had a plan in place, and Bill tried to pull the rug out from under them.
Funny, since he did not profit from it and later had it done to him.
neither i have any problem with any of them, buck has always tried to sponsor amiga development so far ive seen, even the natami team, power2people initiative is great to have and the like..

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
You mean just waiting till all competition has died? Would be a little too long for my taste :-). I hope that with progress of AROS at least some people of the community will be persuaded to use it. And then there are much more people outside...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742544
You mean just waiting till all competition has died? Would be a little too long for my taste :-). I hope that with progress of AROS at least some people of the community will be persuaded to use it. And then there are much more people outside...

I personally don't think Hyperion will last more than another couple of years at most, but I'm only guessing.

AROS and MorphOS teams already cooperate and I can't see why that should stop anytime soon.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »
I misread the title as "Ease of bashing AmigaONE X1000"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2013, 02:33:52 AM »
Quote from: persia;742562
I misread the title as "Ease of bashing AmigaONE X1000"

Actually its more like "bashing Bill and Ben". I still like Trevor.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2013, 02:37:17 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;742570
Actually its more like "bashing Bill and Ben". I still like Trevor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF9JSxkUSE ;)

Trevor seems to me to be a thoroughly nice and genuinely honest man.  I think it's just a shame for him (and us users) that he threw his hat into the ring with those two shysters.

edit:

ps Check your email please Jim. :)