Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9209 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;750867
If you count mobile in with desktops it begs the question why not count game systems?

Indeed why not, the PS4 running BSD would certainly skew the results once it's been on sale for a while. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 02:26:55 AM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;750797
I think SteamOS has a real chance of hurting windows even more as a lot of the core gamers are not that happy with Windows 8 direction, lose them and more and more of the market will shift. Interesting times.

I don't believe that people who don't like the start menu will just ditch windows for steamos, as that is also different.

Quote from: nicholas;750868
Indeed why not, the PS4 running BSD would certainly skew the results once it's been on sale for a while. :)

So will the xbox one running windows.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:30:43 AM by psxphill »

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 03:17:37 AM »
When I replace my XP games machine it will be an I7 with win 7. no win8, too much stuff I'll never use.

Chris

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:17 AM »
It'll all quiet down, MS Windows 8.1 is usable, the annoying two head desktop is less annoying, people will accept it in time like they accepted the start/windows button in the past.  Everyone thought that was a bad idea when it first came out and it was, but people came to use it anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:34 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:39 AM »
Quote from: persia;750874
It'll all quiet down, MS Windows 8.1 is usable, the annoying two head desktop is less annoying, people will accept it in time like they accepted the start/windows button in the past.  Everyone thought that was a bad idea when it first came out and it was, but people came to use it anyway.

Much like ultimately accepting the sweet release of death.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 04:00:06 AM »
I expect this will be the last windows I will buy. When support for Win7 goes I'll load it with Linux. Most games publishers will be running from windows by then.

Chris

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 04:51:47 AM »
Android Phones ship with 1920x1080p displays today.
Android Phones ship with 4 core cpus @1.6+ Ghz per core.
Android Phones multitask.
Android Phones ship with 1GB+ of RAM today.
Android Phones connect to the internet.
Android Phones run real web browsers.

Of course Android Phones are real computers with a real operating system and thousands of applications and games.

If a quadcore 1.6Ghz 1920x1080p computer that effortlessly plays 1080p movies and is portable and energy efficient isn't a real computer then there is no such thing as "a real computer" anymore.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 05:07:47 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;750882
Android Phones ship with 1920x1080p displays today.
Android Phones ship with 4 core cpus @1.6+ Ghz per core.
Android Phones multitask.
Android Phones ship with 1GB+ of RAM today.
Android Phones connect to the internet.
Android Phones run real web browsers.

Of course Android Phones are real computers with a real operating system and thousands of applications and games.

If a quadcore 1.6Ghz 1920x1080p computer that effortlessly plays 1080p movies and is portable and energy efficient isn't a real computer then there is no such thing as "a real computer" anymore.

Android Phones are oranges.
PC's are apples.
They are completely different.

ps if Android multitasks then why do i have to exit most apps, go to the home screen, open another app, go back to the home screen, then reopen the original app. Most of the time it is only to do something trival.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 05:32:28 AM »
Don't think major game or production, let alone other tools like engineering software will be made for android. At least I won't bet on it.

Chris

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 05:37:09 AM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;750885
Don't think major game or production, let alone other tools like engineering software will be made for android. At least I won't bet on it.

Chris

As soon as more tablets and phones and such are released with easy-to-connect external monitor + keyboard and mouse connections that type of software will soon follow.

Just wait a couple of more years and such phones/tablets/etc will be more common.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
"Just wait until tablets become shoddy laptops, and then they'll probably get all the software laptops already have!"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;750813
Tablet evangelists keep repeating this mantra, but three years into the iPad era it's still not lining up with any reality I can see. Out of every single person I know, there is exactly one guy who uses a smartphone as his primary computing device, and that by his own admission is because he's out of work and can't afford (his words) "a real computer." He's not even a techie - nor are 90% of the other people I know. They're just normal people. Sure, many of them have iPhones and perhaps tablets, but they use them primarily as mobile browsing/email platforms, they don't try to do serious work on them, and they largely don't even use them when they're not out and about. They have PCs (or Macs) for that. And if they're normal people, what reason do I have to believe that all the other normal people walking around town jabbering into their smartphone don't have a real computer at home?

It's as gertsy says: what's selling is a vastly smaller subset of what people are using.

I know loads of people who use nothing but phones and tablets and have no desktop or laptop computer. They mostly fall into two categories: middle aged and older folks who don't care for computers and never did, and college students.

We're always going to have desktop and laptop computers, but they're evaporating from the consumer space at a rapid pace. Tablets and smartphones cover most users need in a less expensive and more convenient form factor.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
It is the loathsome terminate and stay resident.

My virus scanner uses 3 processes in the task monitor. No idea why it needs 3. Online update (OUC) runs even though it does nothing and is often targeted for concealing a virus.

I'm going get into the virtual machine thing. If some software ruins the OS in the VM, I just delete and use the backup.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;750889
I know loads of people who use nothing but phones and tablets and have no desktop or laptop computer. They mostly fall into two categories: middle aged and older folks who don't care for computers and never did, and college students.

We're always going to have desktop and laptop computers, but they're evaporating from the consumer space at a rapid pace. Tablets and smartphones cover most users need in a less expensive and more convenient form factor.

Yes they are content consumers. As opposed to content creators. But I don't believe a college student these days can get by not using a personal computer.

@chickenDevil: TSR, your joking right. How is that the OSs fault?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:56:56 AM by gertsy »

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 23, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
MS Windows is not going to disappear. Those who believe so should stop popping their delusional 'A' (apple) pills.

All form factors have their flaws but desktops are by far the most superior as they are easy to upgrade, repair, customize and offer the greatest longevity.
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD