Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows fudges it again  (Read 5979 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Windows fudges it again
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:56:47 AM »
This article suggests you create a ram disk and tell Windows to use that as a swap file. Faster than a hard drive, but slower than regular memory access.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-3.html

If ever Amiga becomes the number one operating system again... remember simplicity, logic, ease of use mean nothing. Just market the thing like crazy and the sheeple will buy it up without even thinking.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
Re: Windows fudges it again
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:12:11 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;594247
If ever Amiga becomes the number one operating system again...

Is this the new "If pigs can fly and the earth is flat ..." ?

Just market the thing like crazy and the sheeple will buy it up without even thinking.

Yep! This is precisely what Apple is doing today and Microsoft did in the past. Microsotfs problem today is: because they are everywhere they tend to become invisible. If it weren´t for the penguin, I bet most people wouldn´t know about Linux.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
This article suggests you create a ram disk and tell Windows to use that as a swap file. Faster than a hard drive, but slower than regular memory access.

This is a solution looking for a problem, Microsoft already have a solution. Install a 64 bit version of Windows that will happily use more than 4gb of ram, no fudging required.

If you're using software that needs alot of ram then it's probably already available as a 64 bit application itself.

I only run a 32bit OS on my netbook because it doesn't have an x64 compatible chip and the chipset only supports 2gb max.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »

PAE works just fine, but there are caveats that even this method won't fix: There is still a hard limit for how much ram any single program can use. This is a limitation of a 32bit OS that neither PAE or the above suggestion will get around.

If you honestly have need for more than 4Gb of ram, you should use a 64bit OS. There simply isn't any good reason not to these days.

If ever Amiga becomes the number one operating system again.

Hahahahahahaha!

.. remember simplicity, logic, ease of use mean nothing.

Not if they come at the expense of you know, actually getting the job done.

Just market the thing like crazy and the sheeple will buy it up without even thinking.

Sheeple? You actually wrote that?
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
Sheeple mean Sheep People. I'm referring to the average Joe who buys the most marketed product he's heard of as opposed to doing some research first.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;594273
Sheeple mean Sheep People. I'm referring to the average Joe who buys the most marketed product he's heard of as opposed to doing some research first.

I'm well aware of what it means, I was asking if you'd actually written that.

The last time I saw that word used in a non ironic context was when dealing with loonspud conspiracy theorists.

Make of that what you will.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »
No. 1 operating system again is asking way too much, BUT (and yes its a big but) any further improvement to Windoze and Mac Os is purely cosmetic from now on in, so AmigaOS if given enough resources and can stay financially viable will certainly catch up on what the average joe wants from a computer which I believe is Hyperion's current goal.

By making a competent fit-for-purpose browser, make a modern OS, build-in place strong 3d/graphic support and provide common internet applications as standard.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »
There is another way to increase program speed and decrease memory usage on a 32 Bit Windows machine.
Remove the bloat.
Run a dos or early windows program on a high end machine.  The results are amazing. Functionally and in basic usage there's not a lot of difference between some programs with conterparts from the early 90s yet the ones from the 90s are 1 tenth the size and 50 times faster.  As we develop new and faster ways to develop there's a proportional drop in performance and increase in size. When they invented DLLs they didn't mean for them to actually contain as much bloat as a real Library.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;594279
There is another way to increase program speed and decrease memory usage on a 32 Bit Windows machine.
Remove the bloat.
Run a dos or early windows program on a high end machine.  The results are amazing. Functionally and in basic usage there's not a lot of difference between some programs with conterparts from the early 90s yet the ones from the 90s are 1 tenth the size and 50 times faster.

There I don't agree. A lot of the old programs have limitations, bugs and missing features. Most are actually incompatible with new operating systems and only work under emulation. Putting old operating systems on new hardware is another nightmare in its own right.

It's an old argument many Linux distros have used over the years: use slimmed down software to gain speed, because you don't need those new features. Anyone tried viewing modern web sites with Dillo?

Seriously, things have moved on. Eventually, 32-bit computing will be as obsolete as C64 BASIC is today - or indeed as obsolete as Amigas have become.

That the 32-bit memory limitation of Windows is an issue as a result of Microsoft's success in penetrating such a huge slice of the market. Developers don't want to abandon the existing user base (mostly 32-bit) and some can't afford the development costs of releasing 64-bit versions of their stuff just yet. This leads to users sticking with 32-bit because they don't want the hassle of (partially or fully) incompatible applications and you have a vicious circle. To a lesser extent the same vicious circle applies to Linux too, though that's improved a lot of late.

The fact that most systems now selling with pre-installed Windows 7 come with the 64-bit version will accelerate the transition to 64-bit as software developers are forced to get their finger out and the current memory limitation on 32-bit Windows systems will be pretty much irrelevant in a couple of years' time.

As for the research the OP mentioned, let's face facts: if people did their research, they'd probably make the same choice. Some would choose a Mac and some would use Linux, again depending on what their prime requirement would be.

Very few people would have their needs met by an Amiga, or by something running AmigaOS. Mostly those people are... well... here.

The article on Tom's Hardware is useful and interesting and yes, it's a kludge, but before we laugh too hard we should remember what they say about people living in glass houses.
Bill Hoggett

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;594279
Functionally and in basic usage there's not a lot of difference between some programs with conterparts from the early 90s yet the ones from the 90s are 1 tenth the size and 50 times faster.  As we develop new and faster ways to develop there's a proportional drop in performance and increase in size. When they invented DLLs they didn't mean for them to actually contain as much bloat as a real Library.

I do agree, people I work with (in a university) don't know how to use Excel or Word to any better degree than they did in 1995. Or use a computer in general with any more proficiency than they did in 1995. They are no better with a quad-core machine than a 486. CPU Power is really just off-set with glossy icons and sliding screens and widgets. How is that "Advancement"?
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

If ever Amiga becomes the number one operating system again... remember simplicity, logic, ease of use mean nothing. Just market the thing like crazy and the sheeple will buy it up without even thinking.

When was AmigaOS the number one OS.  I must have missed that nano-second :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
Actually if you read the whole article it makes a lot of sense even fro 64bit os , to have ram disk/swpa file/tmp files in extra ram.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »
Quote from: JJ;594327
When was AmigaOS the number one OS.  I must have missed that nano-second :)

Probably depends what you are rating it on.  People seem to automatically think #1 of something should be based on sales.  When we all know the most popular thing is not the best thing and the best thing is not the best selling.  I'm sure we can all list some technologies that were better, but lost out to lesser technology because of marketing.

I would definitely say for a while, Amiga was the #1 choice computer for personal use, for graphics use, for gaming, and for video editing.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
The method described really does seem like a clever way to let a 32 bit OS with a bucketload of RAM actually make use of that RAM. The question would ofcourse be why not switch to a 64 bit OS but oh well. Windows bashing is so 90s, bashing Apple is all the new rage today kids.

Offline tone007

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
Windows is great!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever