Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which PCMCIA-wlan cards work with A600/A1200 ?  (Read 3911 times)

Description:

Offline Jools

• Show only replies by Jools
Re: Which PCMCIA-wlan cards work with A600/A1200 ?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 23, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »
But many routers don't support (or allow) using only WEP, or even only WPA/TKIP. Not that I would like to open up my wireless network anyway.

But does someone have experience with setting up a second network (one with WEP or no encryption) within the same subnet as one secured with WPA2? Is it even possible? You need 2 DHCP servers with non-overlapping ranges? Or can computers see each other on separate subnets somehow? All online guides recommend only using one DHCP server, but I suppose most don't have to deal with using WEP in year 2015.

I guess one difference between using WEP and no  encryption is a legal one: with WEP you at least tell other people they cant use your network for sending 100 vulgar emails to the pope.

Also, what's the point of encryption anyway: maybe to keep your snooping neighbour out. But against government agencies: they already have infiltrated the end points and also put back-doors into security standards. But maybe the Amiga is so old that it's free from those.

Offline pVC

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
Quote from: Jools;788259

But does someone have experience with setting up a second network (one with WEP or no encryption) within the same subnet as one secured with WPA2? Is it even possible? You need 2 DHCP servers with non-overlapping ranges? Or can computers see each other on separate subnets somehow? All online guides recommend only using one DHCP server, but I suppose most don't have to deal with using WEP in year 2015.

I have two wireless routers in my setup, a main router as a gateway to the outside internet which also provides wireless WPA2 access, and then another one just for Amiga usage with WEP.

The WEP one is connected to the same LAN with others (no WAN connection at all on it) and I have disabled DHCP server on it. I haven't even tried if Amigas would get addresses with DHCP from the other router, I guess they should, because AFAIK DHCP client finds the server with broadcasting.. but using static addresses is easier with Amiga anyway.

So, all devices are happily in the same LAN/subnet on my system, but I usually keep the WEP router off and only turn it on on the rare occasions I need to get online with my wireless Amigas. It's still not the most secure way, but at least much better than having WEP available all the time. I guess you could make them to different subnets for more security and then have port forwarding for the services you want to share locally...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline cunnpole

• Show only replies by cunnpole
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
I do something similar to PVC, except I also have a MAC address whitelist and can disable broadcasting of the SSID on the netgear wireless box
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:08:24 PM by cunnpole »