Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: monitors: need XP help for one au fait with Amiga  (Read 1713 times)

Description:

Offline AgafasterTopic starter

• Show only replies by Agafaster
monitors: need XP help for one au fait with Amiga
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »
Y'know how in OS4 you can specify the resolutions a monitor can display, as a tooltype in the driver's icon in the DEVS:Monitors drawer ? is there an equivalent in Windoze XP ?

I have got a new Widescreen monitor for m'kids PeeCee tp replace the CRT that died on us a week or two ago. It'll do 1280x720 but the display settings slider will only show me 3:4 ratio screen modes.

Oh - the graphics card is an ATi Rage 128 GL AGP job with 32MB RAM.
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
Re: monitors: need XP help for one au fait with Amiga
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »
Have you done the usual..?

Right-click somewhere on the desktop, choose Properties, Settings tab, Advanced button, Monitor tab, CLEAR the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox, go to the Adapter tab, click on the List All Modes button. This should show all sorts of silly sizes and refresh rates. :-)

Monitor capabilities that will show in standard selector lists can be set by editing the .inf files... if you know what it is called... and where it is...
:)

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »
yeees, I did do the usual stuff - trouble is it was me mums' old PC, so its a bit long in the tooth - as you robably guessed by the gfx card!
List all modes showed a lot of modes, but they were all in a 4:3 or 5:4 ratio.

I'll try the .inf tip - I'd forgotten about those !

It is a new monitor, so it should do PnP but that all depends on whether the display driver does...
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »
xp should know its new montior also and find another driver for it athough l think this mostley to call by the right model name and brand it works okay as gentric brand .
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:46:24 AM »

Agafaster wrote:
Y'know how in OS4 you can specify the resolutions a monitor can display, as a tooltype in the driver's icon in the DEVS:Monitors drawer ? is there an equivalent in Windoze XP ?

I have got a new Widescreen monitor for m'kids PeeCee tp replace the CRT that died on us a week or two ago. It'll do 1280x720 but the display settings slider will only show me 3:4 ratio screen modes.

Oh - the graphics card is an ATi Rage 128 GL AGP job with 32MB RAM.

That graphics card is really old. It may not support HDTV resolution. The best suggestion I can give is to download the latest drivers and see if they added HD support. If not there is a 3rd party commercial program that will add/hack different resolutions into the drivers. I think it's power something or another.

I'd recommend picking up a newer Nvidia AGP card that supports their newer drivers that have HD resolutions built in.

Good luck.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Damion

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:27:12 AM »
Powerstrip is the name of the "mode edit" tool, but make sure you've installed the driver for your specific monitor first, as that should probably do it. XP may not have the driver since your monitor is new.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »
hmm. I'll give the app a go, but I'm about to upgrade the mobo anyway, and get one with graphics on board.
I can generate any res I want on amiga, so I may just temporarily swap, and put the 17" 1280x1024 on the pc.

ta!
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »
god what an awkward difficult intransigent operating system !! took me 5 minutes to knock up a 1280x720@60Hz mode on AmigaOS 4 - I'm still wrestling Richmond awkwardness!!

I got version 3 of powerstrip which looks quite nifty - trouble is all I ended up doing was generating a new .inf but restricting me to only 800x600! I'll have another run up to it tomorrow. in the words of an old English king: "Once more unto the breach!"
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
Sorted - I gave up!
I swapped the widescreen with my standard one - so the widescreen is on OS4, and took 5 minutes to configure, and the 3:4 is on the kids' PeeCee, and also took 5 mins ! I'll swap 'em back when I upgrade thier motherboard to something a little less ancient...
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB