Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: not amiga related sorry but need too know why !  (Read 1287 times)

Description:

Offline adonayTopic starter

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
not amiga related sorry but need too know why !
« on: August 03, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »
Hi i have a laptop i use for ubuntu linux distro it works great and all works a charm etc . But i installed 2 gigs of memmory in my laptop now the computer is a acer aspire 5542NWXCI with 1.66 core duo used to have 256 mb of ram .. now after dual channel memmory on the 667mhz ddr2 buss m$windows XP(dual boot) does not work nor do the installation cd annymore after the memmory upgrade wtf! is wrong with m$window s? linux had no issues after that upgrade but m$ did not boot and the installation show same blue screen i have tested both memmory modules ect they are ok and i can not see were my problem lies at all please help me as i would like too see how much better this computer behaves in windows after that memm upgrade..

i know you are a clever bunch here hope you can tell me how to install xp back on that partition with out that BLUE!!!!! SCREEN!!

final coputer specs:
2x 1.0 gb PC667 SODIMM DDR2 APACER
intel core duo 1.66ghz 667fsb 2mb L2 cash
IGM(intel graphics media accelerator 950 allocated 128 mb
mobo mem
40 gig hd
dvd\cdrw drive combo

Thanks in advance
A1200 ACA 1230

Re: not amiga related sorry but need too know why !
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:18:41 AM »
*bump*
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 02:31:49 AM »
I can tell you whats wrong, you need to delete the windows partition and learn to like linux.  You should install amigaXL on the windows partion and forget that you ever ran any thing microsoft, I know it can be hard when the answer is right in front you!  Seriously, now that you have linux, why do you care, they even make UAE for lunix..... :hat:

Offline paulvm

• Show only replies by paulvm
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 02:58:15 AM »
The Pdf for the computer is here-http://csd.acer.com.tw/acer/URMUL1.NSF/1af87a750eeeb70f0825628f006e0bfc/f23f57d6fd9e41b2482570fa00410f8a/$FILE/AS5540-5560-ENG-OLM.pdf

It could be as the bios setting are not correct for the memory.
Another possible cause is your memory has an error in it that because linux uses different address space for its os than windows. Windows uses much more area for its program. windows is hitting a bad area.
I found sometimes switching the two memory banks around helps.
Also this is ram listed to work with motherboard newer motherboards not all ram created equal.

Offline Gojirax

• Show only replies by Gojirax
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:04:50 AM »
The issue isn't your memory. (I don't think)

My money is on your hard drive being partitioned with Linux. You need to repartition the hard drive before Windows will run on it properly. Find a utility like Partition Magic for that.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 12:05:40 PM »

Gojirax wrote:
The issue isn't your memory. (I don't think)

My money is on your hard drive being partitioned with Linux. You need to repartition the hard drive before Windows will run on it properly. Find a utility like Partition Magic for that.

hmmm yes i think you are right used to have similair problem before o well i better forget xp then hurray i have vmware server for my linux annyways :-p
A1200 ACA 1230