Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7 sins  (Read 2215 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Windows 7 sins
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
Windows 7 sins by the free software foundation.
Surfed to this, it's kind of funny. Scroll down to the No.4 reason... "inflating hardware requirements" :lol:

http://en.windows7sins.org/
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: Windows 7 sins
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
I had to scroll back up to the top of the page a few times to remind myself I was not reading about Apple.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »
These people clearly don't believe in free enterprise. There are literally thousands of MS beta testers. Anyone can register to be a beta tester at MS. Anyone can have a voice at MS. Another point I might add, is that MS has ALWAYS made the general public pay for their R&D by releasing some segway products (win95, ME, Vista...). Besides, IMHO APPLE is the one with the thuggery lobbyists for public education! You don't like MS then don't buy their products! People should be a little bit grateful for MS's innovation such as plug&play, which gets reverse engineered all the time and finds it way into so called FREE software. Just my thoughts on the subject. Please, no lobbing internet arrows! HA!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
AmigaOS is a closed-source operating system as well.  Should we dump AmigaOS?
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline beakster2

• Show only replies by beakster2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:49:25 PM »
I think its a little bit harsh.  I was expecting to see specific things that Windows does wrong from a user interaction point of view.

Point 3 isn't really valid at all.  If you don't want Windows on your new computer you can get a refund for it.  There was a big Linux club that did it a few years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

And what else would the manufacturers put on their machines.  There are some nice version of Linux now, but I still think Windows is more straight forward for the non-computer literate.  The fact is that other than OS2 Warp and maybe BeOS for a short time, there has never been a serious commercial contender for the defacto desktop OS on the x86 platform.  I think things would change if Apple allowed OS X to be installed on non-Apple hardware, but this will probably never happen.

Offline tone007

Windows 7 sins
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
Windows 7 rocks, end of story.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;613518
AmigaOS is a closed-source operating system as well.  Should we dump AmigaOS?

you havent already ? :afro:
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »
Quote from: tone007;613537

Dunno if you are hitting the sarcastic button or not, but its true.

Heck, even WinXP rocked, as long as you weren't a (l)user who understood nothing about security.

I've ridden the Win train from '95 on up, as well as linux from Debian Hamm on up.  For the OS everyone loves to hate, it sure works great.

Offline tone007

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;613570
Dunno if you are hitting the sarcastic button or not, but its true.

Nope, no sarcasm.  Also, after using Win7 for a while, I went back to Vista (got a deal I couldn't pass up on a used laptop with it preinstalled) and all service-packed up, it also works pretty well.  All of my laptops also have Ubuntu on them as well, I go back and forth for whatever reason and as I'm using the computer I often forget what OS I'm booted into since everything just works.

I was a big XP fan (and still use it at the office,) but it's starting to show its age so I don't do new installs of it at home much anymore.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
I've been riding the Windows train since 3.11, and I've gotta say 7 is all right.

95 was such a huge leap from 3.1, but 98 and 98SE ...eh, not so much.

I administered and supported NT4 in an enterprise environment.  I had a love-hate relationship with it.  There were things that I wished I could do with NT on my '95/'98 boxen at home, and vice-versa.

Win2000 floored me: I loved it.  Multimedia + ease of use + NT and all that came with it?  Sign me up!  Loved it.

I stayed away from XP until early 2003 or thereabouts, but fell in deep like with it.  Sure, in a lot of ways it was just a reskinned Win2000, but in a lot of ways it was better/different.

Windows Vista - I think MS is at fault on this one (obviously) for understating system requirements and an over-reaction to XP security vulnerabilities that could be accidentally opened by users, but some of the blame lies on OEMs for poor driver development and crapware pre-loads.

I ran Win7 on a VM on XP.  On that VM, I had allocated half my RAM (1gb), and it typically used about half my CPU power at the time (1.1ghz) and aside from no Aero support (I think it was actually VirtualPC from MS I ran it on and the minimal video card emulation in there can in no way support Aero), it was fine.  I didn't have nearly as many nags with the UAC, I ran Office 2007 (EE), installed Firefox 3, surfed the web, used it for general tasks most of the time.  It wasn't like oiled glass or anything but it still worked and worked well, and for a beta, was entirely stable.

When the final release hit I picked up a student discounted copy, and have been using it since.  Good OS.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
Windows 7 is the best version of Windows yet!

Now having said that, I will add that it still sucks.  After having gone through using the Atari ST TOS (which was so simple that a monkey could figure it out, in fact that's what the guy who sold my family the Atari Mega STe said) to using a bit of the AmigaOS (which I loved) and the on to Windows 95.  I hated windows 95.  It was always such an unstable piece of junk.  Of course part of that may have been the crap packard bell we had it on with it's soundcard/modem on the same card...  But reguardless, it just never felt right to me.

Then there was Enlightenment DR13.  That was freaking awesome!  Been using Linux off and on ever since.  More on (Ha moron) than off now.  The only reason I ever boot into Windows 7 is to play the occasional game.

But having said that, EVERY time I boot into Windows 7, I try something that should just work and be straight forward, but it doesn't work right.  Kind of reminds me of the early versions of KDE4.  Where most of the features just weren't there, or were buggy.

Maybe I use my PC differently than most people, but really the change between Gnome and Windows 7 is really annoying.  Not to mention it still doesn't do true transparency...

But whatever.  I'll finish my rant by saying it really is too bad that AmigaOS didn't become open sourced.  Then everyone could (try) to have their wish of Amiga on ARM, or x86, or PPC, or SPARC, or whatever.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Quote from: tone007;613537

Even more obese than your average American.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;613596
When the final release hit I picked up a student discounted copy, and have been using it since.  Good OS.

That was not the point of the article. The FSF is not criticizing Win7 for technical shortcomings, nor do they emphasize on the closed source part. The point is that Microsoft does not respect your ownership of the computer and uses every trick in the book to drive competition out of business.

The refund policy mentioned above was something that was fought for in court in the 90s and Microsoft isn´t particulary supportive to resellers that try to keep Linux as an alternative. When governments decide to go Linux there often only a short delay, before somebody at M$ will make a visit and try to reverse the decision by promising this or that.

I am not saying that Apple wouldn´t do the same things, but they weren´t in the position until recently. So they had to play more open and fair, because they needed support from OSS.

Offline tone007

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;613609
Even more obese than your average American.

But not quite as obese as Snow Leopard!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;613610

I am not saying that Apple wouldn´t do the same things, but they weren´t in the position until recently. So they had to play more open and fair, because they needed support from OSS.

BULL SHIT.

Apple have been chasing end users around with sharp sticks since the fucking company was created.  Please don't come at me with that reality distortion field cult of jobs oh their hands were clean CRAP.  Because that's what it is: crap.  And it wasn't "until recently".  They stole the Xerox UI, and have sued or try to sue anyone else doing exactly the same thing.

Only smart thing C= did late in the Amiga's life: ignore Apple's stupid, frivolous "look and feel" lawsuit.
Back away from the EU-SSR!