Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Second Beta Release of Timberwolf  (Read 5829 times)

Description:

Offline smf

Re: Second Beta Release of Timberwolf
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Timberwolf evolves nicely, if the updates continues to come within a few weeks between them timberwolf will soon become a good alternative to OWB. i guess there will be atleast 2 more updates before it's time to work on the performance and then the fun will start :)  for now it loads most sites within an resonable time but some others like facebooks seems to be hopeless, maybe something to do with network activity? even searching/connecting to a page eats lots of cpu for a long time. The gui works good & i can live with the slow scrolling speed for now so there's not really that much to fix before it can be an everyday browser.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
Quote from: Argo;685917
You do understand what a Beta is...

Of course, it means it can't be relied on to work properly.
BTW - I'm using real Firefox to post this.
Even when Timberwolf is finished it won't offer significant improvements over OWB.
Neither will have good Flash support.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline spirantho

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Timberwolf allows AmigaOS 4 to use plug-ins and also HTML5 support for sites like YouTube.
Plus competition is a good thing even in a small market - it helps make OWB and Timberwolf the better browsers.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
It's a great day for OS4 users. I applaud Timberwolf's dev team for their hardwork
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;685901
Are they ever going to release the source code per the gpl of firefox or do they still planning on trying to illegally keep their port closed source and try and charge people money for a firefox port which violates the gpl?

Firefox code is MPL. There is nothing wrong with that, and it isn't illegal. Donations are not forced, the program will come out one way or the other.

I'd really recommend to inform yourself first before accusing people of illegal behavior. I'm ready to take your apology.

~~ Rogue
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Iggy

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;685951
Timberwolf allows AmigaOS 4 to use plug-ins and also HTML5 support for sites like YouTube.
Plus competition is a good thing even in a small market - it helps make OWB and Timberwolf the better browsers.

OWB already has html5 support.
And will Timberwolf allow you to use Firefox plug-ins?

And in our market competition tends to eliminate  other products.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline spirantho

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »
And for myself, I will donate when I eventually have any money again (I donated to OWB, I see it as only fair).

@Rogue
Many of us appreciate the work you've put in on TW and AmigaOS generally, so thank you! I'm amazed you even come to this site any more given how many anti-OS4 people there are here, I don't think I would.

@Iggy

OWB only has HTML5 on MOS. Timberwolf does allow Firefox plugins, I believe, yes.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;685941
You do understand that *everything* is being developed in *everyone's* spare time, don't you?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I was under the impression that the Friedens are getting paid for their work on OS4, but not for Timberwolf. Are you saying that they're working on OS4 for free?

Any time I'm being paid for I don't consider to be spare, or even mine. I've sold it to someone else and so do work for them during that time instead.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Rogue

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;685956
And will Timberwolf allow you to use Firefox plug-ins?

Add-Ons. Plugins are compiled for the platform they run on and need to be ported.

And in our market competition tends to eliminate other products.

So that means that we should all quit at Workbench 1.0 and not develop it any further because it might eliminate other products? I don't get THAT logic.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;685957
And for myself, I will donate when I eventually have any money again (I donated to OWB, I see it as only fair).

@Rogue
Many of us appreciate the work you've put in on TW and AmigaOS generally, so thank you! I'm amazed you even come to this site any more given how many anti-OS4 people there are here, I don't think I would.

@Iggy

OWB only has HTML5 on MOS. Timberwolf does allow Firefox plugins, I believe, yes.

I thought the latest version was based on the MOS version.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 02:00:54 PM »
C'mon guys, lets just grow up a little bit? At least someone is taking the time to develop something.

@Haywire

What has you in an uproar? As previously stated nobody's doing anything illegal. Are you upset they havent ported it to AROS, MOS etc? From a personal stance I think it is higher priority to getting the issues worked out before going off on a tangent and porting an unfinished application to other platforms. But, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you the source, and, if you're so inclined, you may attempt to port it to AROS or MorphOS. Just send the team an e-mail, and if they refuse, just post the response here in a new thread and we'll come to your aid and politely ask ourselves, I don't see the point in getting riled up over details
My machines:
iPad 2

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Rogue

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Speaking about bugs: If you use Timberwolf and come across some bugs, please make sure to check

http://bugs.os4depot.net/index.php?function=viewsoftware&softwareid=19

Check whether the problem has been reported already, and if not, add a report there with steps to reproduce the error. That will help immensely.

Thanks.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
thanks rogue, but I dont use OS4, if you were talking to me. If I hit the lottery anytime soon, then I'll buy an a1x1k, but until then, I'm with my current machines
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;685963
I thought the latest version was based on the MOS version.

What spirantho meant was HTML5 video support, via the WebM codec. MOS' OWB and Timberwolf support WebM, the OS4's port of MOS' OWB (MUI OWB) does not.

@Rogue
Thanks for this new release, most welcomed.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;685961
I was under the impression that the Friedens are getting paid for their work on OS4

Then I think you may have been greatly overestimating the accumulated sales of OS4, Gorky 17, Shogo, SiN, Quake2 etc during the last decade... ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 29, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;685975
What spirantho meant was HTML5 video support, via the WebM codec. MOS' OWB and Timberwolf support WebM, the OS4's port of MOS' OWB (MUI OWB) does not.

Just for the completeness:

Odyssey Web Browser supports HTML5 video and audio, and not only WebM (which is still not very widely used except on YouTube) but also H264, Ogg/Theora and FLV (and several audio codecs as well such as mpeg, aac and so on). FireFox given its choices will never support H264, which means it won't be able to view a good amount of HTML5 video websites such as DailyMotion or Vimeo and many others.

It currently scores 345 + 15 bonus points at html5test.com, by the way.

It also supports NPAPI plugins, but it wasn't adapted (yet?) on the OS4/AROS ports. Through this plugin system, Flash is supported with swfdec plugin (gnash would also be a possibility, but it's not better, anyway).

Finally, add-ons such as the ones you can find on userscripts.org are also supported by OWB (some needs some tweaking). These ones need the GreaseMonkey addon to work on Firefox.