Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)  (Read 12933 times)

Description:

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
Could you point out the huge powerdrains you see in the SE design? I don't see them glowing red hot here on my board, maybe you could tell me? ;-)

Offline olegil

@JurassicCamper:

The package for GGS was sent with UPS because of the show. Imagine the let-down when UPS didn't have it in England when Alan drove a long way to pick them up on friday.

GGS bought about 30 boards, 7 of which will end up with Datakompaniet. It would cost too much to send ALL the boards like that, so the rest will come in about a week.

Oh, and to everyone:
I saw someone making criticism about external Q&A and excuses and stuff. The big thing about external Q&A isn't that it's external, it's that it is in the same country as the production plant. That helps a lot when they have to ship boards back and forth between factory and testing... I know, because I'm in the R&D department at work and see this all the time...

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
@olegil

The SE has looooooots of small parts (/me lacks the right word
for NOT intregrated circuit, discret ?), these will allways
use more power compared to an IC.

AFAIK 17W is what the whole Pegasos-mobo with CPU takes, and I've
heard of mini-ATX/ITX mobos going even lower.

@coder

A men gotta do what a men gotta do  :-P
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
Beware of the clown, I tell you :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Helgis, would you mind toning your mindless optimism down quite a few notches?  It's thoroughly depressing to think that anyone could still have your viewpoint on things after about ten years of waiting for something NEW.  And then add to that the amount of delays of getting A1 XEs to ship even without the operating system we all want on it.

I'm glad I decided to wait until OS4 is at least released (I want to see it in action first) before thinking about getting an A1, I don't know how unbelievably pee'd off I would be if I had gone for the earlybird offers!  I would have probably had several seisures by now!

Offline Helgis75Topic starter

• Show only replies by Helgis75

mikeymike wrote:
Helgis, would you mind toning your mindless optimism down quite a few notches?  It's thoroughly depressing to think that anyone could still have your viewpoint on things after about ten years of waiting for something NEW.  And then add to that the amount of delays of getting A1 XEs to ship even without the operating system we all want on it.

I'm glad I decided to wait until OS4 is at least released (I want to see it in action first) before thinking about getting an A1, I don't know how unbelievably pee'd off I would be if I had gone for the earlybird offers!  I would have probably had several seisures by now!

Why should i be less optimistic? I don't care about what you might say. Most people feel more than happy enough to get the boards, and having the option to run LinuxPPC is a clear reason. It's to expand the software base for AmigaOS 4. If you want to wait, then fine. Most people are more than tired enough of waiting. I know for sure that i will have a motherboard in fully working condition, and being just powerful and exciting! I don't mind running Debian Linux as first...I think you sound a bit jealous, but listen up..i don't care for your comments, and i guess nobody else does...So, good luck with your choice...but we don't need your negative comments.

And you may know that two other new AmigaOne-motherboards are under development. The A1G3Lite and a microATX-formed AmigaOne with ATA133 RAID support and Gigawire, among other things..

Now you get the picture..
Helgis - AMIGA DEFINITELY makes it all possible!!!

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
microATX-formed AmigaOne

Sometimes I wonder how far technology evolves... Just kidding. :-)

Offline mikeymike

@ Helgis75
I don't care about what you might say.

Well I guess that's that then.  Oh no, apparently not.

Jealousy?  What's there to be jealous of?  To me that's not an Amiga until it runs AmigaOS.  To me it may as well be an x86 box with a Celeron in running Linux, aka.  "throroughly unremarkable".  Until OS4 is released.  

As far as "we don't need your negative comments", is your hope that desperate that it can't take a little bit of balloon popping from the reality squad?

Be as hopeful as you like, I don't mind that in the slightest.  However, in a public forum, please try to be a bit more objective and realistic in your expression.  If I maintained anywhere near the amount of optimism and happy-happy-joy-joy over every little piece of news and non-news regarding Amiga as you do, and expressed that to my [non Amiga fan] friends, they would have probably killed me by now!  Even now I have to keep my trap shut because in reality, as far as solid new product offerings go, I have nothing to talk about!

Offline alx

Could a micro-ATX board fit in an A500/1200 style console case?

Offline mikeymike

@ alx

With the aid of cutting equipment, quite a few new screw-hole mounting points, and a general cannabilism of the inside of the case, perhaps :-)

More likely an A500 though, the A1200 isn't that deep.

But even then, why would you want to?  You'd have to throw out or adapter-ize 99% of the inputs between things like keyboard, drives, etc in order to manage it, and in the end you're only putting an x86 motherboard into a plastic case that says Amiga on it :-)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
by vortexau on 2003/3/31 10:23:55

AOS on x86 would NOT attract applications, any more than BeOS did!
Linux runs on PLENTY of x86 boxes - WHERE are ALL THOSE WONDERFUL Linux Games?

BeOS is apparently making a commercial come back.  BeOS' problem was not that it went to X86 (it actually increased it's user base), but it was preasure of the IPO and desperate jump to embedded OS that lead management to screw up a decent OS.  As for games, what cutting edge games are out for Macs?  If you think just because MOS/OS4 runs on PPC, your going to get games, you got another thought coming.

Do you see a pattern here? Other OS' run on x86 - Developers code for Windows!

And Linux, and BSD, and BeOS, and AROS, and Symbian OS, and all the other OSs (like OSX ;-) .

WHY is MAC OS not on X86? Same reason! Move on!

Hate to break it to you, but Apple has maintained OSX on x86 for years.  Gee, wonder why Apple is spending R&D cash on maintaining a x86 port?  

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
Hate to break it to you, but Apple has maintained OSX on x86 for years. Gee, wonder why Apple is spending R&D cash on maintaining a x86 port?

To ensure a clean code base, and nothing more. It only has drivers for one 4 year old Intel chipset, 440BX.

Apple will never move to any variant of x86, or x86-64.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS

mikeymike wrote:
@ Helgis75
I don't care about what you might say.

Well I guess that's that then.  Oh no, apparently not.

Jealousy?  What's there to be jealous of?  To me that's not an Amiga until it runs AmigaOS.  To me it may as well be an x86 box with a Celeron in running Linux, aka.  "throroughly unremarkable".  Until OS4 is released.  

As far as "we don't need your negative comments", is your hope that desperate that it can't take a little bit of balloon popping from the reality squad?

Be as hopeful as you like, I don't mind that in the slightest.  However, in a public forum, please try to be a bit more objective and realistic in your expression.  If I maintained anywhere near the amount of optimism and happy-happy-joy-joy over every little piece of news and non-news regarding Amiga as you do, and expressed that to my [non Amiga fan] friends, they would have probably killed me by now!  Even now I have to keep my trap shut because in reality, as far as solid new product offerings go, I have nothing to talk about!

We have pretty much the same thoughts. Are we long lost brothers?  ;-)
Thats what I have been trying to cry out loud for ages: A1 is nothing but overpriced  Linux box until OS4 is running on it. And thats a fact no-one can change, not even Mr.Helgis.

Offline olegil

JurassicCamper wrote:
Who's bloody dog kept barking in the background ?

I think this is the guy who brought the dog:  http://amigbg.com/gallery/graak/pages/h_mvc-066f.htm

:-)

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
Hrmm... Yes, the A1 is nothing amazing until it has such a clean, intuitive, and fast OS like AOS4.  Looking at the 'screenshots' of OS4 is enough to make me believe they will release a product. They wouldn't lie about it because they are a small company and its highly illegal to pull people's legs for $$$ .  Yes it isn't finished, but to  me it seems close, like maybe a couple months now close.  sure its  a long wiat, but they can;t put more resources into it. Ainc is a small fish in a pond with things like MS or even Apple or Linux frankly... it has to survive, it can't bother chasing around something it can't eat now, or it'll starve. Out of money, out of luck, out of AOS4 since another Escom'll buy it, or worse, a company that doesn't like it but wants to kill it will buy the company and halt AOS4.  Be patient, I've waited years for the next release of other rgeat things, and usually it just makes them all the better, since its made by the rare peopel who won't release something until it's Right, at least as far as they can tell.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
Re: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 31, 2003, 10:29:09 PM »
Hooligan_DCS wrote:

one lousy (overpriced) motherboard.

"Overpriced" and "relatively expensive" (because it's still in low-volume production) are two totally different concepts.

You are apparently trying to get people to think that somebody is making an excessive profit out of the sale of A1 mobos.

This is totally untrue.
AT