Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CRT TV's - Are you using one?  (Read 4956 times)

Description:

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
Re: CRT TV's - Are you using one?
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 14, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »
I could not wait to get away from CRT Televisions on my computers in 1984, I sure don't want to use one now! I have a 1084, a 1902, a couple of 1702's and some LCD displays - no nostalgia at all for blurry CRT's. That's just me, though.

I do, however, love my Commodore 2002 connected to my REV3 NTSC A500 when playing Indy500 and Flight Simulator!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »
powered up, but still emits that high frequency sound. Guess most old TV-s are like this?

The sound that your younger friends are complaining about is the line scan frequency.

If you are young you can hear it quite easily.

If you are old you can't hear it at all.

I guess that means you're old!

Offline paul1981

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
I could not wait to get away from CRT Televisions on my computers in 1984, I sure don't want to use one now! I have a 1084, a 1902, a couple of 1702's and some LCD displays - no nostalgia at all for blurry CRT's. That's just me, though.

There should be a pot on the rear or behind the rear cover for adjusting the focus (it's on the LOPT). You need a large mirror though ideally so can actually set it - especially on larger CRT's.

Offline spudmiga

• A chip off the old block
    • Show only replies by spudmiga
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 11:43:18 PM »
I have used many CRTs - Commodore 1084S's of various models, Philips CM 8833 mk 1 & 2,
Today I am using a Amiga M1438S - for many at one point the holy grail of Amiga monitors along with its 17" bigger brother ( cannot remember the model number but would still love one)/
It is multisync but to my disappointment it is not anti-flicker, so for the nice interlaced modes I guess I will need to get a flickerfixer for it.

With regards to the high pitched sound - I think I know what you mean.
I would not really describe it as a squeal though, it is unfortunately the noise CRT displays make. Your family have probably forgotten but 20-25 years ago their TV's would have made exactly the same noise.
It is quiet and you do get used to it.

Out of all of the displays I have used - the top one for gaming hands down has to be the Philips CM 8833 mark 1.
The mark 2 is fine if you cannot get hold of a mark 1.
But the mark 1 - boy oh boy - the games look sure fantastic. The colours POP and look really vibrant. Amiga games really shine on this kind of display.
An advantage of the mark 1 over the mark 2 is you have SCART connectivity in the back - so if you like you can get a splitter and use it for several retro devices. I used a PlayStation and a Dreamcast with one for a while and it worked great. Do look out for common problems with them though - power switch failure is very common and the speakers tend to go on them.

If you are doing serious stuff with your Amiga then probably not the best choice - you would be better off with a 1438 or one of the higher specced Microvitec/Amiga badged monitors if you can find one, they are pretty rare now.

The Commodore monitors are okay - but not a patch on the Philips.I suspect the main reason a lot of people get them is for the name "COMMODORE" on it. Which makes sense I guess.
If you can find a multisync Commodore monitor that may be good, but I have never used one.

I agree with Brian Hoskins about getting a proper monitor.
You will see an increase in sharpness and image quality comparable to RF lead > Scart.

Games suck on LCD screens. I had one for a while with the Indivision flickerfixer.
Sure, Workbench looked nice with the non-flicker interlace modes, but the horrible artifacts, jagged edges on the games looked terrible which becomes more apparent if you have  a CRT available and compare the difference.
The old games wer designed and programmed on CRT's and thus look best on them.

There is the problem of them getting old now - which is a shame, but I will keep using mine for as long as I can.
A good Amiga compatible CRT monitor thankfully does come up on sites like eBay from time to time, at least in the UK.
And Amibay may be worth a shot too. I managed to get a good deal on a 1084S a couple of years back which was cheaper than eBay and that included shipping from the Netherlands.

Anyway I will stop rambling. I hope you enjoy your new TV, but do consider a dedicated monitor if it goes kaput.  ;D

Spud  8)
Founder of NWAG - North West Amiga Group (UK)

Night Operations

A1200, ACA 1233/50Mhz, 130Mb + 4Gb CF + OS 3.2
A500 Plus, 2Mb, OS 2.05

Offline Brian Hoskins

• brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »

These old monitors can fetch quite healthy prices on the retro computing market.  You could trade them on the market and use the proceeds to get some new AMIGA goodies.  A purchase that would fly under the radar at home  :-X

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »

These old monitors can fetch quite healthy prices on the retro computing market.  You could trade them on the market and use the proceeds to get some new AMIGA goodies.  A purchase that would fly under the radar at home  :-X

You bet they could - but I love my Commodore monitors! I have a 1942 and I think a 1950 that I have to repair, too.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
Quote from: Dynamic_Computing
You bet they could - but I love my Commodore monitors!

I thought you were saying you hated them, hence my suggestion.  But now I see you were only hating on the TV option.

I used a TV for my AMIGA screen for my entire childhood.  I was kind of OK with it until I went around my (richer) friend's house and he had a proper monitor on his A500.  All of a sudden I hated my TV.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »
When I was a lad I used mine through the RF for a couple of years until I figured out what those phono connections were on the back of the tv. Even through the RF I used to use the 1280x512 interlaced Workbench with magenta coloured icons because I didn't know about the MagicWB palette. The composite video picture was quite an improvement. My tv didn't have scart.

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline vince_6

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 11:03:58 AM »
Always CRT for gaming.
Some 1084s, a philips and some TVs.
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline soviet

• Show only replies by soviet
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »
Using the amiga on an led tv get me the feeling of playing on an emulator.
crts all the way, they are free you can pic one every day from the trash is the best time to get some  :)

Offline RetroPassion

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
CRT is the only way to go IMO for anything pre 2000. for my Amiga CD32 and 500 I have a Sony 21" and the 500 has a Philips 8833 MK2, I also have a portable CRT TV for my Amiga test bench. LCD is far to sharp, there is no warmth or softness to the images...
Offering complete Amiga recapping  services including add-ons, mods. We also cater for other makes and models of consoles and computers.