Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pushover  (Read 1357 times)

Description:

Offline MarkAshleyTopic starter

• Show only replies by MarkAshley
Pushover
« on: November 21, 2005, 08:09:36 AM »
Is it me, or was this game seriously underrated when it was released? The concept and implementation was pure genius, in my opinion. I am slowly working my way through but am currently stuck on about level 65 (I think).

I would love to have seen a sequel with some new dominos. Like a "switch" domino - a red, green or blue domino which would open a door of corresponding colour and allow other dominos to pass through. Or a teleport domino which when touched by another domino, would disappear and reappear in a predefined location and then topple.

But for now, I'm having fun with this game  :-)
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000
All stuffed in to a D-BOX

Offline Thomas

Re: Pushover
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:43:22 AM »

I like PushOver very much, too. Although it has been a long time since I played it, I am quite sure that these teleport things exist in higher levels. IIRC my highest level was 97 or 98 or so.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Etho

• Show only replies by Etho
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 12:28:19 PM »
There was a sequel to Pushover called:

One Step Beyond

It works differently however. Now you had to jump on different types of platform to reach the exit.

Never got to play that though so can't say if it's any good.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »
Well, like someone already said there were an unofficial, I think, sequel called One Step Beyond. Released by Ocean, but never, as far as I know, considered to be the official "Pushover 2".

Now, as far as ratings go... I have never seen Pushover recieve any bad reviews. As far as I know the game sold rather well and most people seem to like it. At the time it was released just as many of my friends having a PC played the game as the ones with an AMiGA, and they were rather many. So, to me it seems rather odd to consider the game being underrated, since I can't see that it ever has been.

One Step Beyond though, recieved some major bashing from the critics and I have never even bothered to play the game myself since it looks so utterly boring. Maybe I have to try it out now, just to be sure that I haven't missed out on something not to be missed out on.

Oh, well, anyways...
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:55:11 PM »
Cool, I look forward to getting to a level with teleporters in :-) I still think doors with trigger dominos that open them would have been a nice touch.

I played One Step Beyond a couple of times, but it didn't appeal to me in the same way as Pushover. There's something about seeing all those dominos topple over that I find so satisfying, especially when the domino run splits in several directions.
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 01:27:55 PM »
I played through the entire Push Over with a friend a few years ago, problem was that we had missed one of the things you were collecting (was the things called quavers? or was that something else?) so we didn't get to see the ending :-( Can't remember the details exactly. Except for that, I think it's an excellent game!
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:34:33 PM »
Fx: OH DEAR GOD! Your new avatar is DISGUSTING...! *LOL* ...it makes me ill looking at it. Really, really creepy! But I guess that's cool...  :lol:

Anyways, are you sure that you "missed" anything? That there were a different ending to see? Because, them quavers you collect you can't really miss? And the ones you have as "credits", well, they don't stay there when re-entering a code. So, I don't really see how that could be... but I do remember when that happened when you and your friend played through the game, but it sounds so odd?
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
Wow.

One of the few handful of games that I liked on the Amiga.

I too thought this game was never really mentioned that should have.  I still have the original disks and I believe manuals to this game. :) Good stuff definately.

My sisters would play this game alot. I dont think I ever got that far on the game since I was never really that kind of a person.:) Overall, the music rocked.

I knew they were gonna release a part 2 of the game, but reading from the previous posts, I dont think it was worth the download? Either way, I never had the chance to try this out.

One game I do remember playing just the demo of was called 'Benefactor' I believe is what it was called.  It was by psygnosis if I remember, but the game was good. :)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:21:23 PM »
You get a packet of Colin's Quavers every few levels (10?). I don't think you have to do anything specific to get them, just complete the levels :-)

The tokens you get when you complete a level. As Legerdemain said these are lost when you enter a code. You don't need the tokens to win the game, they just allow you to reset the level back to how it was before you pushed the first domino (so you don't have to move the dominos back again) or jump to the next level if you don't complete it in time.
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 03:21:12 PM »

Interesting............I thought this game utterly SUCKED bigtime...........just the animation and graphics and smoothness were not to my liking, didnt even find the gameplay that great............maybe cuz I played the demo?

I will have to give it another try to see whats all the craze about.
Im always looking for fun games to add to my collection.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 03:26:23 PM »
Hmmm don't know what you mean about the animation. I love the way the dominos topple and interact with each other. There is a good mix of levels as well, from out and out puzzles where you have to rack your brains, to more action type levels where the solution is obvious, but you have to start the domino run then race from one side of the level to the other while carrying a domino and put it in place before it is needed. It's fun  :-)
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »
It's a pity I can't recall exactly what happened when we completed it, except that for some reason we didn't get to see the ending. Perhaps we had used to many tokens or something like that? But I seem to remember that we missed 1(!) quaver, even though I know you never find them on any levels, but get them inbetween.

Would be fun to play the entire thing again some time, but I never think I'll get around to it. :inquisitive:
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 04:47:45 PM »
@MarkAshley

I guess I will have to play the game for an hour or so............as its been years since I tested it.  and that wa just a demo.maybe the completed game was different.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline ErrethAkbe

• Show only replies by ErrethAkbe
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 04:11:06 AM »
I've always been a fan of puzzle games, and the gameplay was so good (and original) in this game that it quickly became one of my favorites.

The graphics aren't all that great but they are good enough to get the idea across. Still, it's the sheer creativity of the game that had me hooked.

._ __/|
\\`O,o\\\'
=(___)=
...U

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 07:05:32 AM »
Graphics? Pah! As long as you can see where you're going who cares  :-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10