Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of Amiga.org ...?  (Read 23572 times)

Description:

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
Re: The future of Amiga.org ...?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »
Want to hear the oppinion of a newcomer to the site? Well here it is:

I don´t think that selling the site will work out. I don´t think anyone who is ready to invest 10k will want to keep Amiga.org the way it is now. Which is sad of course. I think the site is great!

Just a thought: maybe the 15 years you "invested" were really invested in something inside yourself, which nobody could possibly buy. This isn´t saying you should ask for less.

All the best for your auction. And thanks for providing this cool blog-service. I have yet to find anything like it. I was thinking about a subscription, but I will put this idea on hold for now.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:28 PM »
What if nobody is interested and the ebay auction doesn't cough up more than say a couple of thousand?

-edit-
Maybe the Mozilla bounty can be put to something useful now =).

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
*Somebody* has to maintain this site. Can't stress enough how important we have a Stateside based Amiga site and forums. I've met LOTS of great folks here (in person and online) where deals and get-togethers have actually gone through. News just keeps getting sadder and sadder these days  :-(

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:24:34 PM »
Some just-because stats.  Just because someone was interested;
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »
Quote from: odin;519982
What if nobody is interested and the ebay auction doesn't cough up more than say a couple of thousand?

-edit-
Maybe the Mozilla bounty can be put to something useful now =).

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to extort money from anyone here.  I'm just stating my case and seeing if there's anyone interested.  It would be sad if there's not, as that would indicate to me that I've wasted a whole lot of time trying to support a community that doesn't believe it's worth it, but no one can predict what might happen in the foreseeable future.

My hope is to find someone who's interested in continuing what is, not turning it into something else, but the simple fact is that someone who actually cares about the Amiga would be a better candidate than I to continue supporting the community.   I care about the people here, and the friendships, but not the computer (past or future).  

My time of caring about computers in general is long gone.  I went Mac 3+ years ago and haven't even touched a Windows machine since then (when I can help it).  

Between Amiga Inc getting nowhere, and Genesi screwing me over, I've just had enough.

Now, if you want me to take the site and turn it into a social networking site with the Amiga as a sub-culture, I could do that, but again, where's the payoff in all that effort for me?  When I put up vBulletin, I was actually revitalized for a while and once again felt like part of things, but... Apparently it's a case of running out of new modules and things to try to keep my mind occupied and interested.

In short, I find myself becoming sorely disinterested in the virtual world of the Web and wanting to get back to the real world that is all around me.

In DIRECT answer to your question, if no one is interested, and a standing "until it sells" auction never meets the reserve, the site WOULD **** EVENTUALLY **** close down some day.  NOT today, not tomorrow, next week, or next month, but no one can run a single Web site forever and not lose some measure of interest.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
Sad news Wayne, but I saw this coming from many of your posts over the last couple of years.

Thanks for all you have done and I hope after you complete the sale you will drop by from time to time to let us know what you are up to.  Perhaps I'll travel to your part of the country some day and go for a motorcycle ride with you if I still have my bike at that time.

I don't have much monetary resources, but would be willing to join a group of members to help purchase and run the site.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

• Winning!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
Quote from: save2600;519983
*Somebody* has to maintain this site. Can't stress enough how important we have a Stateside based Amiga site and forums. I've met LOTS of great folks here (in person and online) where deals and get-togethers have actually gone through. News just keeps getting sadder and sadder these days  :-(
Again, I've said this clearly, but Amiga.org isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.  I just think it needs someone in the captain's chair who actually appreciates the Amiga for what it is.

I'm surprised Davey, or any of the other exodus sites haven't chimed in.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
I don't have the time or the knowledge to run a site like Amiga.org but if Wayne (or anybody else on here) wants to start a fund for a buyout I'll put up $1000.

I'm sure there's some active Amiga.org members out there that would love to take over the running of the site - for the sake of what remains of the Amiga and its community it'd be great if we could help them to do so.

Perhaps Cloanto and some of the other remaining Amiga companies would consider contributing too?

Sorry to see you reach this decision Wayne but a heartfelt thank you for keeping the torch burning for all these years.

Aegis.
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline toca180

• Show only replies by toca180
The future of Amiga.org ...?
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
Sad news indeed. Good luck Wayne I hope things work out for you. I may not be the most active user but I always enjoy reading the posts here. I hope that the site continues. If someone sets up a community buy out I'm in.

@Wayne
Is this the end for you and Amigas completely?

Robert
A1200 (Dead :-(  OS 3.1/3.1, 030@33, 882@33, 2/8MB RAM, 1.4GB HDD
A500 OS 3.1/3.1, 020@14, 882@14, 0.5/6.5MB RAM, A590 2GB SCSI HDD, CD ROM, Mas Player
A600 OS 2.1/2.05, 000@7, 1/0MB RAM

Commodore
Vic 20 1530
64C 1541, 1530
128 1530
C16 1531

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:11 PM »
Long time lurker :-) I know exactly where you're coming from Wayne :-) Downside is I dont know what I can do from NZ, plus with real life getting in the way I dont have the time to be an admin for a webiste.. wish I could enjoy doing it :-)

I wish you luck with the auction, and $10k seems fair enough to me for the time and effort you've put in.

I just hope the new owners will be like minded and dont rip it a part as nothing else is like amiga.org :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »
@ Wayne

Why not turn the site over to the current moderators for a while? It's been said before Wayne that you should take a break from here so here's the perfect oppotunity for you to do so - you even mention the fact that you feel like you need a vacation from here in your first post in the thread.

A.org practically runs itself now so little or no intervention on your part for a few weeks should be unnecessary whilst you go into the wilderness (or to Disneyland lol).

If you still feel the same way when October 1st comes around then so be it ... sell the place.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:25:35 PM by ZeBeeDee »
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »
Quote from: ZeBeeDee;519993
@ Wayne

Why not turn the site over to the current moderators for a while? It's been said before Wayne that you should take a break from here so here's the perfect oppotunity for you to do so - you even mention the fact that you feel like you need a vacation from here in your first post in the thread.

Thats not a bad idea, why not do this Wayne.. I'm just worried I wont have the same amiga.org to come to and read :-/
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline oceancrafts

• Show only replies by oceancrafts
    • http://www.oceancrafts.net
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
Wow... that's a bit sad. But I can't help but understand your feelings. And I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that your efforts are truly appreciated.

Cheers, mate! :drink:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
Quote from: ZeBeeDee;519972
Had that done to me in the past with a tutorial of mine on here Wayne and it's not pleasent ... all they had to do was ask instead of steal.

Has happened to me too. I did a How-To on getting a Catweasel Flipper to work under MOS, posted it to AO and within days it was on another site, with exact same pics and text, but someone else taking credit.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

• Winning!
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
Quote from: ZeBeeDee;519993
@ Wayne

Neat idea, but in practice, it's a no-go.  Most of the current friends operating as moderators rarely even visit the site any more, and several -- like me -- don't even use Amigas any longer.

This is just a test to see if anyone really thinks this site is worth continuing or not.  Like I said, yes, there are other sites, but there's only one Amiga.org, and it's up to everyone reading this thread to figure out what is, and isn't important.  

As for me, a "vacation" isn't the answer.  The site's "pretty much run itself" for far too long and needs someone who's interested in making the site a better place and more worthy of supporting the community than I simply have to give it any more.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline ceaser

• Show only replies by ceaser
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 19, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »
I'm not too great with Amiga's either.  Finally figured out how to get a CD-ROM installed in my 4000 along with a nice CD32 emulator finally yesterday.

I asked you to remove some dumb post of mine once and you actually responded to me.  It's a thread I never have to look at again since I fixed the problem now so I won't ever look at it again.

I know a good admin though.  I abandoned Amiga in 1995 only to spend a couple thousand this year to revive it.  I see what you're saying.  Also I don't think there's anything wrong with getting 10k for a site.  We're in the digital age.  Websites get bought and sold like everything else now.

With that said this is without a doubt THEE place to go for Amiga questions.  Every time I have asked for help here, there has been some kind of answer within a 1/2 hour from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.  This is NOT like any other Amiga forum I've found.  No doubt this is a very wonderful site.  When people say "you should ask the community I don't know" in relation to Amiga questions, they mean go to Amiga.org.  Most Amiga forums I've gone to have newest posts from 2004.  Or maybe they'll have a post or two from 2007 after a guy asked a question in 2004.

I've been here only a very short time Wayne but don't be concerned about some other person knowing more than you about some hardware.  And absolutely if it's just not your main hobby anymore then it's not your main hobby.

I hope you find a good friend who wants the site.  These types of deals are so famous for going sour (selling websites).  But from what I've seen you know plenty about Amiga.  And the admin of the site doesn't have to be the most knowledgeable, but just someone who cares.  Sounds real lame.  I know.  Those are my thoughts though.

God bless you Wayne.  This forum is great!
it\'s too bad she won\'t live, but then again who does?