Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10393 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:18:14 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
If Windows is dying, it's because they hacked it to death trying to turn it into a tablet OS, not because of this "death-of-the-PC" myth nonsense.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
Betteridges lawof headlines states that if a headline ends with a question mark then the answer is usually no!...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

Not that i care two hoots about windows fate though!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
ZDNet is such tripe.  Every week they publish some new article "death of this or that!!" (I'm looking at you, Ed Bott and SJVN!)  it's just loud-mouthed commentary and opinion pieces to bring in advertising dollars and drum up arguments from the same bunch of commenting jackasses, not real tech news.  I'll normally pass on reading anything there, although if Big Dave is commenting it might be worth a look...
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
What I think is killing windows is windows 8, people don't like change and that is exactly what happened with windows 8 but that's just my opinion. The new start screen is a good idea on a tablet or phone but on a desktop environment like a laptop or desktop I feel it just doesn't work the same way.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:26 PM »
A flawless Surface Pro will get you $302.

http://www.gazelle.com/sell/tablet/microsoft/surface-pro/wifi-only/surface-pro-64gb/495342-gpid

Ouch! That's $700 less than it sold for. Talk about losing value!

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
Surface Pro is actually quite nice.  The Surface RT, though - is less useful than a boat anchor.

8.1 will address many of the complaints that came along with W8.  I've been running the PTR version for some time and it's come a long way.  Can avoid the Metro (Modern UI) crap outright.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
Windows 8 lost me at the charms bar which is anything but charming. Bye bye, I'll stick with Windows 7 if I need to run Windows.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
iv got an Amiga 500

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;741847
Windows 8 lost me at the charms bar which is anything but charming. Bye bye, I'll stick with Windows 7 if I need to run Windows.

I agree, I think win 7 is probably the best windows as to date as it is modern yet backward compatible with most xp software.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
Quote from: Duce;741844
8.1 will address many of the complaints that came along with W8.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »
Windows 7 in my view is the best Microsoft offered to the consumers.

Windows 8 a failure. Yes because I have to install third party software just to get a start button on my laptop computer. Trying to support computers, laptops, cellphones, and tablets using the same operation system. To me users need to be able to get their work done fast. Gamers like myself want compatibility. I have a game rollercoaster tycoon. It does work on windows 8 but it so small that you cant see it. (yes I have install on Linux) I miss the old days where games just worked as long as you had hard-drive space. Yes I hate change because I don't like learning where everything is all over again.

I don't think the pc market will die. I still build my own. I use Linux on my desktop computers. True it want be as strong as the tablet and phone market. If I were a gaming company I would be going for tablet and phone market.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:39:25 PM »
Windoze died after '98. ME killed it! :laughing:

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »
YES! my evil master plan is working!

All i have to do now is remove windows from 3 billion other PC's around the globe!
not long from victory now!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;741836
If Windows is dying, it's because they hacked it to death trying to turn it into a tablet OS, not because of this "death-of-the-PC" myth nonsense.

Bingo.

Some additional thoughts:

When they first announced they were porting Windows to ARM, I thought it was a bold move. Then the ARM version turned out to be Windows RT, a cut-down, crippleware version of Windows 8, itself suffering from a terrible identity crisis.

If Windows ARM had been full Windows (like Linux - same system, multiple architectures), they would have had something, especially with an x86-to-ARM (and vice versa) emulator. Instead, they're forcing everything through the 30%-cut Windows Store, cutting off decades worth of programs and reasons for using Windows. They had an opportunity to unify the platform - instead of just the UI - across form factors and they blew it.

Meanwhile, on x86, they're not outright restricting proper desktop programs, but they're sure not encouraging the appropriate UI for the form factor. Surely they could have used the "design language" of Metro to develop a desktop UI toolkit that would be familiar to both traditional desktop users and Windows Phone users.

And if they'd bothered pushing the "one-program-multiple-interfaces" feature of Windows 8, their problems would be solved: one codebase to build desktop and touch versions. Instant ecosystem.

Microsoft has a bad habit of messing with what works. XP fixed the stability and usability problems of the Win95-WinME era, so they followed it with the travesty of Vista. Windows 7 cleaned up that mess, so they threw it away and gave us desktop Metro instead.

I don't think 8.1 will stop the bleeding. It'll probably take them until 8.5 or 9.0 to turn things around.