Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigakit and their customer service...  (Read 43112 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Amigakit and their customer service...
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2008, 09:54:39 AM »
I have to agree with amigakit on this one.

@ Painkiller you seem to be stating facts about the tower working with all A1200 internal drives as if its fact when you were not even aware that there were several different versions, and sizes and eject buttong configs etc on A1200 drives.

I think the fault lies completley with you, and as someone else said you are taking out your own frustrations on the supplier.

Do you know how to mod a PC drive then ???  Its not just a case of making it fit the case, thats for sure.

But I am sure you know that right ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline wurzel

• Show only replies by wurzel
    • http://www.wurzel.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
All I can say is, "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware.

In other words, if you order something you haven't checked out with the supplier, it's your fault.

AmigaKit offered to give you a refund for the drives, but not for shipping. This is entirely normal practice with ANY supplier you care to look at.

The drives were sold as A600/1200 compatible - not Infinitiv compatible, which is entirely different. And, IIRC, ALL Amiga drives are modified PC drives, though I stand to be corrected on that one.

I have used AmigaKit many times, the service is excellent, as standard. If you had asked questions prior to buying, you would have saved both of you a lot of grief.
--
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 060 with SCSI, 196mb Ram, Mediator, Voodoo 5500, Spider USB, Hauppage TV, Soundblaster & Fast Ethernet cards, 2gb boot/program drive, 40gb data drive, 40x12x48 CDRW

Offline PainkillerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Painkiller
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
@JJ
Yes I know how to mod a PC drive. Done plenty of them. Still feel that Amigakit should mention that these are modded PC drives with cut upper shell and cut + glued together eject button to position with A1200 and A600 eject button hole.

NONE of the Amiga drives back then were modified in this manner. They all had factory made upper shells and eject buttons.

@JJ & Amigakit
Tell me one reaseon why shouldn't a consumer who is about to buy this product know these things upfront?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
Mainly because its of no importance.  The drives do what they say.  They are replacement drives to fit in an A600 or A1200 case.  Nothing more, nothing less.

It does not say commodore or escom etc drives.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »
And yet in this case it would have been important. I wouldn't have bought them. I would have know directly that these drives aren't going to fit directly. Be it that they had send me an "original" drive that wouldn't have fit then yes my bad and stupid Mikronik with their tower design.

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

Painkiller wrote:

@ffastback
None of the drives that came with Amigas were dremel jobs... These are. Buyer should know if the drives are modified PC drives do you not agree (it is not something that one should ask for to know)?

Since some of the OEM drives from Amiga in these machines were modified PC drives in the first place you argument holds no water, at all.  You've reduced yourself to saying that the modification method used should have been described for the product.  Since when does every product you buy come with a description of the manufacturing process??  What should it say?  Should it be like this:  "unlike Amiga who cut PC drives with metal shears to modify them for Amiga use, we use a dremel!".  Get real!  Amigakit may not even be the modifier vendor.

Didn't ask an Infinitiv Tower floppy drive, because internal A1200 drive should fit in it.

Which was an assumption on your part obviously.  If it needs the Panasonic and only Panasonic drives as you surmised earlier in this thread thats what you needed to ask about, you needed to ask if the drives Amigakit sold are exactly the Panasonic drives or like them in all dimensions, including the eject button.   Your lack at taking responsibility for your own actions is astonishing.

How would you feel if I were to sell you an Amiga and not mention what custom hacks I have done on it.
 When buying a 17 year old machine, which may have been through multiple owners, you learn to ask first Painkiller.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 01:17:33 PM »

Painkiller wrote:
@JJ & Amigakit
Tell me one reaseon why shouldn't a consumer who is about to buy this product know these things upfront?

I'll tell you why, because the onus was on you to ask questions when you decided to buy a product to use it outside of the original casing and for a different purpose other than the one advertised.

Here's a personal example:

A long time ago I wanted a Region Free DVD player and I settled on a particular model.  However, that model came in several revisions and only one had the older firmware that could be made region free.  The only way you could tell them apart was on the box because the bar codes of the revisions were different.

Now, no website I could find advertised these with details of the firmware revisions because it didn't matter.  These were sold as Region 1 DVD players for use in the USA, just like those drives you bought were advertised as A1200/A600 drives for use in the wedge desktop cases.  It was down to me to make sure that I got a correct model player to fit my purposes just like it was down to you to make sure that you got a drive that would suit yours.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »

Darrin wrote:

Painkiller wrote:
@JJ & Amigakit

I'll tell you why, because the onus was on you to ask questions when you decided to buy a product to use it outside of the original casing and for a different purpose other than the one advertised.......

I have to strongly agree with Darrin on this one guys...a simple email or phone call could have solved this problem IMHO.. :-?
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 01:50:30 PM »
In Aus, Consumer Laws say that the product "must be fit for the purpose".  Ofcourse we now have consumers who interprate this to mean "fit for any purpose that i want to use it for".  And that my friend is what you are doing: the item is fit for the purpose of working in an A1200, but you want it fir for the purpose of it working in a third party case that is clearly not an A1200.  Saying IF you knew that it wouldn't fit in your third party case that's not an A1200 you wouldn't have bought is irrelevant, because AmigaKit didn't know you were going to fit into that third party case and never said it could fit into the third party case.  

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
@Painkiller

They are selling a drive that will fit in an Amiga 1200 case. So, it doesn't fit in a tower case. They never stated that it would. Only that it would work with an A1200 in standard case.

Actually, I need a floppy drive for my A1200. Been trying to shoehorn a drive from an A3000. The floppy works but it's just a tad too tall to fit in the case.
Want to trade? That is if you think it will fit!

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
I modified the other drive to fit and the second I will sell inside A1200 that I will put together.

The problem really here isn't wheter it would fit or not, but I should have know upfornt that these are same drives I can manufacture my self pretty easily without asking the seller. How hard is it to write these are modified PC drives... For some this product is worth the price but to me it wasn't and I'm not happy because the product discription isn't totally honest.

I expected an original Amiga part which wouldn't include cutsom modifications, but actually factory made parts. This was not mentioned in the product discription in any way. If they would have been these and wouldn't have directly fit my Infinitiv Case I would have been fine with it.

I'm amazed how easily stores could sell products that are in some ways modified etc. and not told in the discription and some of you guys would be fine with it...  How would some of you guys feel if I created a MAC from custom parts installed OSX in it, fit it in MAC case and then sell it as a MAC. Hey it does job exactly like a MAC so it must be a MAC and screw you if you didn't bother to ask if it is a real MAC from Apple factory parts.

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
@Painkiller:

The hassle would start as soon as the 'Mac' would stop working after some sort of system update by Apple :-).

Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Sorry mate not my faulth you should have asked before you bought it...  :-P

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
I have to say, i side with Amigakit here. They sell drives for A600/A1200. The drives work inside an A600/A1200. If you want to use them in something else, you should have checked first.

Its your own fault, really.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 04:57:50 PM »

Painkiller wrote:

The problem really here isn't wheter it would fit or not, but I should have know upfornt that these are same drives I can manufacture my self pretty easily without asking the seller.

Why?  How the hell would Amigakit know about your abilities to modify PC drives when all you did was order through his website without speaking to him?  And even if he did know about your abilities that dosen't mean squat.  I can cook a steak myself, but sometimes I want a restaurant to do it for me anyway because I don't feel like cooking.  You are being ridiculous.

How hard is it to write these are modified PC drives...

Easy, yes.  Necessary?  No.  Are extra details nice?  Yes.  Are they required?  No.  If you want to or need to know more, what do you do?  Ask!

For some this product is worth the price but to me it wasn't and I'm not happy because the product discription isn't totally honest.

Thats a bunch of bull that its not honest.  Have you been blaming others for your own mistakes your whole life?  Not honest would be if he said NOS and/or OEM, which he did *not* do.  You are really going out of your way to try to damage his rep unfairly.  You don't see that at all?

I expected an original Amiga part which wouldn't include cutsom modifications, but actually factory made parts.

Why?  Again it does not say OEM or NOS anywhere.  You already admitted earlier you made an ASSUMPTION because you saw he sells NOS 1200 complete computers that these were NOS too.  That was YOUR incorrect assumption and your fault and your problem.  End of story.

I'm amazed how easily stores could sell products that are in some ways modified etc. and not told in the discription and some of you guys would be fine with it...

The "modification" is part of the product.  When Ford built the 1969 Talladega they took rear Torino bumpers and cut them in half, welded in a middle peice of metal, grinded down the welds, chromed them and then stuck them on the brand new Talladegas for front bumpers.  So the rear bumper was as sent to them by their supplier.  But the front bumper was not.  Now is it a Talladega bumper?  Of course it is.  Now if I have a Talladega missing a front bumper today and someone says they are selling front Talladega bumpers and it does not say OEM or NOS, if I care if it is I better ask.  Otherwise I should assume they did the same thing Ford originally did.  And if they are created today to work, is it a Talladega bumper?  Yes it is.  Just not a NOS or OEM one.

But on the other hand if I take a Torino and then take a bunch of parts to make it look like a Talladega and try to purposely pawn it off as an *original* Talladega from Ford (like in your Macintosh example) then thats fraud.  Thats not what Amigakit did.  And its really sad you are trying to make it sound like Amigakit did something like that to you.

Offline Lorraine

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 30, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
/