Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jumpstart AROS devlopment  (Read 3718 times)

Description:

Offline DFergATLTopic starter

• Show only replies by DFergATL
Jumpstart AROS devlopment
« on: February 18, 2004, 04:30:08 PM »
This is something that has been on my mind for at least a week so I thought I would post my thoughts here.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to attract more devlopers to AROS?  I know that requests have gone out, the bounty program started ect..  But if I am not mistaken we still only have the same core of devlopers, less than a handfull at any given time.  These people are talented and work very hard to get things done but they also have lives, school etc.  I am very glad that the bounty program was started and now there is literaly hundreds of dollars these people can earn for doing what they love.  But we, the people who belive in AROS, need to come up with ways to get more devlopers working on it.  Each time something new gets completed I have seen posts, "This is great...", "It will be nice when this " " is completed", but no new devlopers come on borad to help.  I fear that the progess will continue to be slow to the point that it may not reach useablity, of any kind, for years to come.  I belive that AROS could be good for the Amiga community as, if nothing else, a way for people to get an idea of what the Amiga enviorment looks and feels like without having to invest in new hardware.  Sort of, try this and if you like it you should see it's big brother.  So, any ideas??  Any at all???  Please no flames like "You, could code yourself." really if I could I would.  So, this is for all of us who believe in it but can't actually write code ourselves.
Sir, I believe that we have a problem with your brain being missing.  -Firefly-

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Jumpstart AROS devlopment
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:43:26 PM »
More hardware hackers. Thats what AROS needs.

-Edit- 68K, x86, PPC... whatever! we need them.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 04:45:09 PM »
I'm in the "if I could..." boat too regarding coding... it seems like people are too busy writing new stuff for the Classic/OS4/MOS solutions. But the general perception of AROS as a realistic, usable alternative is improving all the time - here's hoping it snowballs...

As for getting the momentum going, I dunno... The bloodline approach would get on everyone's nerves if everyone did it. At the same time, it's almost like people laugh, pat Matt on the head and then get back to the "real work." :-(

AROS suits me better politically than any of the other solutions - it's cross-platform, open-source and free of the "your Bill's more exploitative than our Bill" crap.

Hmm, I dunno. It is slowly growing, perhaps it's just a case of sticking at it...

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:07:15 PM »
hmm, maybe we cold start an "AROS" boosters club or something.  We could all stand around with Pom Poms chanting "Go AROS, Go AROS..."  something, anything.  I just wonder if any of these people who go back to the "real work" of coding for the classic Amgia stop to consider.  If AROS was in a useable state and is "source compatiable" with the software they are devoping, runs on a lot more hardware.  How many more copies of said software can they sell??  I realise that AROS will not gain wide spred adoption.  But the Amiga community is very, very small.  If only a few thousand people were using AROS that could mean a good amount of money to some of these small Amiga devlopers.  No, I do not believe that a few thousand users for a complete version of AROS is unreasonalbe.  AROS would be free or at least inexpensive if someone did "packaging" and could eaisly see quite a number of people trying it out.  The point is there is a lot of "professional quality" software for the Amiga, which is more than can be said for other "hobby", "alt." operating systems out there.  

Offline Glorix

• Show only replies by Glorix
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 05:15:48 PM »
The only way I could contribute is by doing some testing, and prolly update their site more regularly than they can achieve atm. Or provide them with a periodical update, for them to put on their site. (There'd have to be something developed worthy of a site-update of course).

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 05:34:25 PM »
The best way, IMO, is to talk to old Amiga users.  Couple times a month, I'll be chatting in IRC on a non-Amiga related channel to find someone who use to own an Amiga.  They are quiet suprised to find out about AROS even exists and even more suprised it runs on x86.  If you can't code/documenation, or support TeamAROS, you can still burn a couple of AROS CDs and hand them out.  C= produced 7 million Amigas, there are quiet a few of those former Amgia owners who would love to know about AROS.  Few of those maybe old coders. ;)

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 06:07:03 PM »
I have done the burn and give the CD before.  And it is great I know a few others who would use AROS.  But we are in a "holding pattern" as far as it really isn't useable for anything at this time.  I don't know any devlopers who are interested in AROS.  I do know devlopers but they just aren't interested in devloping for AROS, the bums.  But, as soon as I can burn off CDs and show people what it can do... Belive me I will be a CD burning fool.  I have access to a CD copier so there will be copies everywhere around the places I go.  It just needs to be more than a "look pretty."

Offline dammy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 06:16:45 PM »
by DFergATL on 2004/2/18 13:07:03

I do know devlopers but they just aren't interested in devloping for AROS, the bums.

We really do need to look outside the current community for more developers.  I wonder if there are any Amiga communities in EuroAsia or Central America that may have a few devs that are not aware of AROS or the bounties?

Dammy
Dammy

Offline Glorix

• Show only replies by Glorix
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 06:36:03 PM »
@Dammy:
If you need documentation, I might be able to lend a hand too. I could write in English, French and Dutch. I come from a company which has a policy to only document finished products tho (no pun), so I'm not really sure what sort of documentation you mean. Howto's?

As for developers, I only know 4GL ppl...

Offline dammy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 06:54:07 PM »
@ Glorix

If your interested, I would suggest you would join the AROS-DEV ML and or join the devs in IRC chat, irc.freenode.org in #aros channel.  I'm sure they can use any time you have to donate.

Dammy
Dammy

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 07:13:54 PM »
For my own part about all I could do other than "Preach the AROS Gospel" and donate to the Team AROS whenever I can is..  End user support.  I have been doing end user support for 8 years, various hardware, software, mostly Windoze.  So, when it is time I would be more than willing and able to help new users get started, help others with questions or problems etc..  Just give me somthing to support, please!  Pretty please....

Offline melott

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 10:26:14 PM »
Well ... I've said this before, I guess I'll say it again.

I don't think AROS will go anywhere until it gets 68k
compatability on th x86 platform.
Until dummies like me can take their 68k software and
plug it into any old PC, there's no attraction. ( IMHO )
There needs to be a software base to attract.
Get AROS to that point and it will get all the users it
wants.
There are guys still writting for the classic Amiga.
What do you think they would do if they had a OS that
they could write to the 68k or the x86??
I suspect that would get alot of interest.

( it's only my opinion )

Stealth ONE  8-)

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 10:38:23 PM »
I don't completly agree.  While I will say that being able to run 68k software would be great I don't think that is completly necessary.  There is pleanty of other software still in devlopemnt that could be "recompiled" for AROS.  This is not to say that 68k is not important I just don't see it as the big stumbling block.  Either way this thread isn't about getting AROS users. It is about getting more AROS devlopers so that maybe one of them could work on getting the 68k stuff as intrigrated as possiable.

Offline melott

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 11:26:55 PM »
OK.. and I don't quite agree with about users.
Since in the case of AROS the user IS the developer.
You are not going to attract any commerical developers.
Ask yourself "Why would they spend money developing for
a system that has no users?"
Also your target IS the Classic Amiga user. The PC and MAC
user converts would be too few to count.
So that leaves you with 'Classic Amiga' users.
When Amiga first came out, it was a totally different era.
The PC was crap, so you had APPLE and ATARI.
Amiga got its following from the C=64, a very large group.
Open mindly look around, AROS has nothing to get the user
over to it and since Amiga Classic users are the AROS
target.... well its got to go 68k compatable or die.

(its only my opinion )
Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 11:44:20 PM »
One thing is sure and thats the fact that AROS isnt dying anytime soon =) AROS is here to stay and unless something HUGE happens with MOS/OS4 (not likely) AROS is gonna grow bigger and bigger and one day (i belive so) it will be much bigger then them thanx to its open and free code! as for the 68k intergration thats been talked to death before and its a BAD idea at least for AROS on PCs! if your interest in AROS stops there just forget about AROS cause it wont suit YOUR needs :) its as simple as that.