Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Phone - Dead man walking  (Read 6294 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Windows Phone - Dead man walking
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 15, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Lol... Meanwhile the rest of the world carries in as normal ;)

Anyway, I respect a person's choice if they can explain what they like about their chosen platform. I know what I like about my chosen platform, and also what is really crap about it... But everyone has to decide what trade offs they can live with.

I notice some people are sprouting out of date crap in this thread... If you are going attack a particular platform, you might want to try it for a bit and see if your "issues" still exist...

Offline psxphill

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;764480
All the billions of free dollars in the world can't force people to buy something,

It worked for google, android is horrible. windows phone gets a much better review. People are sheep though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:50:08 PM by psxphill »

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
Now Nokia is a corporation out of mobile phone business... ms havent enough level to produce phones on the future without new patents from Nokia, but i hope for a resurrection in the future, far away of ms.
a1200 060

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:05 PM »
I find it interestng how "journalists", pundits and armchair analysts all love to pick apart every square inch of Microsoft's sale figures. Looking for something they can latch onto and parade around for eternity. It is the exact same for BlackBerry. We have been hearing and reading and watching streams of news that BlackBerry was on its knees and the axe was about to come down and finish it off any second for years now. Yet BlackBerry still continue, releasing a new BB10 phone and planning to release 3-4 new devices in the next year or so. Same with Windows Phone. I remember when Windows Phone 7 came out and the pundits were giving it a year before microsoft killed it off. yet here we are with Windows Phone 8.1, a list of OEM's ready to release phones with it and Microsoft offering incentives for them.

Until that fat woman walks out and starts warbling the obituary for these companies we can't predict how the phone market will play out.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:33 AM »
Worst. Train. Of. Thought. Ever.
Windows Phone global market share is 3% ergo Microsoft should keep making handsets and tablets and dump the OS for Android?

The only purpose of that article is to create these kinds of conversation threads all over the net. We've all just helped COMPUTERWORLD secure some advertising.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics
Yes, you can take the global mobile phone market size and look at how many users have Windows Phone 7.x/8.x and take the 3% figure and paint a dire picture.
But when you take the global mobile phone subscription numbers being 6.9 billion    that's around 207 million for Microsoft.
http://mobithinking.com/mobile-marketing-tools/latest-mobile-stats/a#subscribers

But even if you focused on just smartphones and tablets and assume everyone has destroyed their old smartphone and tablet, that is still some 1.2 billion units and Microsoft's 3% share of that is 36 million.
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24645514
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2674215

Now you might say that 36 million units is way below what Microsoft is used to, or a number that shareholders will not tolerate. But before you do, consider that:

Microsoft's original Xbox console sold 24.75 million units globally (the first Xbox ran at a complete loss), and the Xbox 360 sold 59,4 million units globally over 9 years.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/xbox-statistics/

Like it or not, Microsofts Phone and Tablet business is more aligned to how the Xbox division operates, than how the Windows and Office divisions operate. Meaning:
It will take time for a firm and stable market position to be established, and
Microsoft will not be a dominant force in this market segment.

The Globe
The other issue with the moronic post over at COMPUTERWORLD is that the global market is perceived as homogenous. The fact is that whilst Microsoft's Windows Phone smartphones are sold almost everywhere, Microsoft's marketing efforts would be focused on key segments within key geographies. One would have to have access to internally distributed reports to see how well MS is doing in this regard. For all anyone outside of that circle knows, they may hold a respectable 10+% in the markets they care about.

The Xbox does not sell equally well everywhere. It does very well in key markets. Yes, it would be great if all the people in the BRIC countries were the target for a Windows Phone 8.x device. That's just unrealistic.

Microsoft + Android = $$$
So lets say that Microsoft dump Windows Phone OS and move to Android. What, all of a sudden everyone will throw out their Sony, Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, Huawei, ASUS, Nexus (made by one of the aforementioned) smartphone and tablet and buy a Nokia (or whatever Microsoft end up calling it) smartphone and tablet?

How many of those people bought the Android based phone because the Lumia didn't have Android?

Buy suggesting to move to Android the moron is suggesting that Microsoft pull out of the mobility space all together. Sure, they'll stop spending all that money on smartphones and tablets and OS development, but they also won't be making any money in that segment and they certainly won't be solidifying a place at the post-PC table. Xbox and Office will support the company? I don't think so.

And Lastly
There only reason I didn't buy a Windows Phone smartphone just several weeks ago is because there is no Pebble app. But I was actually keen on it. I already use a Samsung Tabletbook with Windows 8 Pro so having a Windows Phone 8 companion device would have been nice.

And I find with most people it is the lack of apps. Sure all the key ones are there as they have been well established: Twitter, Facebook, Skype (Microsoft), Evernote, Dropbox, etc. But something new comes out and you know that more often than not it will be on iOS first, Android second, and at some point it will get to Windows Phone.

First you get the apps, then you get the users, then you get the money. Whilst there is a catch 22 in there with the users and apps, MS should not wait for this to occur organically. The best money they can spend is making all the most popular and highly sought after apps a first party development or co-development priority. Like Apple did in the early days of the iPhone.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
I got to annoyed with my Galaxy S3 4G (the 4G version with double amount of ram compared to standard S3) and decided to give Nokia  Lumia 1020 with WP a shot and well I like it, i have a more stable phone and less problems with better battery life so I won't complain.

My S3 had tons of issues, all from not getting back reception after being in a area without reception and it could go a half day before I noticed and then I had to restart the phone, it handeled the jump between bands poorly and it was impossible to surf the web while talking in the phone, also I couldn't use the camera while in a call, coulden't send texts or pictures while in a call. Those things are much because of the phone and the jump to 4G since I did not have those problems on the Sony Xperia Play but my new phone handles that with a breeze.

Also pocket restarting without reason was annoying since if you didn't notice it you would miss calls etc because it would be stuck at "enter pin code" screen :/

I also was annoyed that I had to charge the phone every single day even if barely used. Felt like I always heard those low battery sounds...

Well in short im happy with my Nokia, I didn't think I would be before I bought it but i gave it a gamble and im happy with it, haven't used a Nokia phone since my N900 with Maemo (which I loved) and even if WP has thinks I do not like most is just a matter of just getting used to :)

Offline spirantho

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;764540
It is the exact same for BlackBerry. We have been hearing and reading and watching streams of news that BlackBerry was on its knees and the axe was about to come down and finish it off any second for years now. Yet BlackBerry still continue, releasing a new BB10 phone and planning to release 3-4 new devices in the next year or so.

I can understand what you're saying, but....

If I had £10,000 to spend on shares, there is absolutely zero chance I'd buy any of Blackberry's. Would you?

In terms of financial health, even though Blackberry survives, the fact that it has failed to maintain what was once a good grasp on the market basically means it's dead to shareholders, and they're the guys who dictate whether a company lives or dies, not the customers. It'd take a miracle for Blackberry to come back strong now - it's possible, but the market has matured and Blackberry didn't capitalise on their early strength. Not surprising, given the marketing budgets of Google and Samsung, particularly.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
Since when has the number of sales of a product had anything do with how good it is. The ZX Spectrum sold millions and it was relatively crap. Sorry but I had one.
Everyone loves their phone choice and their phone is the best and having used all 3 and BB I have mine and it's the best too.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:21 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;764554

If I had £10,000 to spend on shares, there is absolutely zero chance I'd buy any of Blackberry's. Would you?

In terms of financial health, even though Blackberry survives, the fact that it has failed to maintain what was once a good grasp on the market basically means it's dead to shareholders, and they're the guys who dictate whether a company lives or dies, not the customers. It'd take a miracle for Blackberry to come back strong now - it's possible, but the market has matured and Blackberry didn't capitalise on their early strength. Not surprising, given the marketing budgets of Google and Samsung, particularly.

Agree with all those points but one. I'd argue for evidence that a multi microcosm un-integrated market is mature.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;764555
Since when has the number of sales of a product had anything do with how good it is. The ZX Spectrum sold millions and it was relatively crap. Sorry but I had one.

There are better example of that (c.f. VHS cassette format, Windows 95, many others). The Spectrum was released in 1982 at a price point of £139 - at that time, and at that price, a machine that in eight years time would have games like Lemmings and R-Type on it was actually an amazing piece of kit, you just need to put it into the context of the time it was released.

Sorry but I still have several (about 20 in the bookcase behind me :) )

Your point is absolutely correct, but the example wasn't :P
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;764554

I agree. The past management at BlackBerry screwed the pooch so hard it is shivering in shock at a corner. They f'ed up the marketing of the BlackBerry 10 OS, they rested on their arse and let the competition take market shares from them in the business sectors. However there is a new management team in, they have a plant to work with Foxxcon to get new phones (which they have just released one) out, they are almost ready to release OS 10.3 and their BES 10 software is getting cross platform functionality. Yet these tech blogs don't seem interested in that fact.

Much like with Windows Phone these tech blogs are more interesting in regurgitating fact devoid or poorly researched opinion pieces. Windows Phone 8.1 has just got out of the door and I have seen people, who have never used a Windows Phone, slamming it.

Also if people do want to invest in BlackBerry they can't anyway. They went private months ago ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:49:59 AM by CritAnime »

Offline matt3k

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
Glad to hear BB is giving it a go.  Never used one of those or an Iphone.

I was a huge palm user back in the day.  My favorite smartphone was my 700p, it was the last real smartphone where I didn't need a data contract.  I synced all my work directly to the device and it was none of anyones business what apps I installed on it.  I only updated to the Galaxy s3 when IT couldn't support it any longer.

To this day it had the best crm application by a longshot that I have ever used and a phone.

The Nokia Icon running wp8 is a nice break, and seems cohesive and stable to me.  I have seen 8.1 demoed at ms store and it is pretty slick.  I will wait until it is an official release on the phone even though it is easy to install a developer 8.1.  My revelation is that I need to use it as a tool for work and not for games and hacking.  I had so many games and fun tweaks on my 700p and SG3 it sucked a lot of time.  The Icon is my first business tool/camera only and so far I'm enjoying spending time on other things...

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 12:44:41 AM »
My next phone os will be Cyanogenmod. My next phone will probably be the Oppo N1. It has a movable camera. I'm not really into phone cameras but the idea of actually having a moving part on my phone excites me!

The best phone i ever owned was a Blackberry Pearl. Probably because it only had 2G networking which means no internet! I also like the keyboard as opposed to crappy touchscreens.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 03:18:28 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;764604
My next phone os will be Cyanogenmod. My next phone will probably be the Oppo N1. It has a movable camera. I'm not really into phone cameras but the idea of actually having a moving part on my phone excites me!

So Android then ;-) Cyanogenmod is just an Android ROM, any Android phone can use it.

The Oppo N1 doesn't exactly get rave reviews and most mention sluggish/crashing. It's just another Chinese Android phone.

If you want something designed around the Cyanogenmod ROM then get the oneplusone.
http://oneplus.net/

I'll just stick with my Nokia Lumia 1320, smooth as silk. Camera is amazing for what it is, better than my Samsung digital camera which is 8MP.

Only have to charge every 3rd/4th day instead of the once a day with my old Android phone :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 05:25:46 AM »
You can put Cyanogen on pretty much any phone and have better hardware than the cheap chinese phones coming out with it installed, like the OPPO or the oneplus.

Better yet, just buy a vanilla Android phone like the Nexus or one of the Motorola handsets.

Cyanogen isn't anything but a re-roll of Android.  A nice one, yes - but she's still Android.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 06:10:03 AM »
I like to think of it as a googleless android :)

Will it work well with my sony Xperia S? My last android update has slowed my phone to a snails pace and is now a little buggy. My phone is only compatible with the version from 2 years ago. Is it worth installing?

I didn't know about the oppo getting crappy reviews so thanks. And yes i think the oneplusone is nice.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.