Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Legal game downloads, legal to reproduce???  (Read 2274 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: Legal game downloads, legal to reproduce???
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 01, 2005, 11:53:49 PM »

Roman78 wrote:
I wil not sell them on ebay. I'm makeing an own webstore in PHP. Server is running and already installed.

First i wil contact al open source manufactures, like all linux, bsd, sun and also closed source like linspire and Zeta. And the games wil come later. Next year some where.

And why is it lame? When people order a cd whit 100 or 1000 games on it. Ultimate Amiga Game collection. Like Amiga Forever only sells 2 OS, 2 roms and some freeware like Winfellow and WinUAE. And a little interface. When i'm going to make it is also got an interface where the enduser just klik a game and it's going to start. And i do not burn it, i press it.

Cloanto actually paid license money to amiga inc for both the OS and roms afaik..

Back2roots is a example of a site that is entirely legal and got permission from various of commerical companies for redistributing these games/adf images for free.

I am sure you could get permission from some of them as well, but i doubt many of them would allow you to sell these games for personal profits, unless you make a money deal with them :-P

And as tjlazer said, it is a whole different deal if you only charge for the media price and dont make a direct profit yourself. You still would have to get permission unless they are already been made PD.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »

Tomas wrote:

And as tjlazer said, it is a whole different deal if you only charge for the media price and dont make a direct profit yourself. You still would have to get permission unless they are already been made PD.

So what's with www.amigagames.co.uk ? They look legit (at least the website looks professional) and they claim that the Amiga ROM images are licensed.

But the list of games include stuff from DMA (now Rockstar), Sensible software (now owned by Codemasters), Psygnosis (now SCE), Ocean (bought by Infogrames now Atari) and hundreds more?  We must assume that they have obtained permission.  Somehow I think that £49 for the set is still making them a profit.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 01:25:37 AM »

Lando wrote:

Tomas wrote:

So what's with www.amigagames.co.uk ? They look legit (at least the website looks professional) and they claim that the Amiga ROM images are licensed.

But the list of games include stuff from DMA (now Rockstar), Sensible software (now owned by Codemasters), Psygnosis (now SCE), Ocean (bought by Infogrames now Atari) and hundreds more?  We must assume that they have obtained permission.  Somehow I think that £49 for the set is still making them a profit.

I know nothing about their story, but i find it hard to believe that they actually managed to get permission for so much software and games..

I did not say that you cannot make a profit, because you can if you get a license or permission from the developers, which is the case with for example cloanto. What i said, is that i doubt that most of these software companies will allow you to sell their software, without giving them royalities, even if this same companies did give you permission to distribute the software for free on the internet.