Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aos 3 -> aos 4  (Read 25601 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Aos 3 -> aos 4
« Reply #269 from previous page: June 06, 2011, 02:51:57 AM »
Quote from: smerf;642834
Hi,

@HotRod,

I have a classic Amiga 1200, no graphics card, so I am stuck running OS 4.1 on it in AGA mode. I also have a Blizzard PPC 240 mhz for OS 4.1. which takes approximately 2 and one half minutes to load up almost 1 minute slower than windows XP. Now on my A1200 running on OS 3.9 it boots up in 30 seconds and can run Aminet 18 modplayer while I play one of my favorite games Soliton (I pick this game because it is on both OS's) If I try to play Aminet 18 on OS 4.1 the modplayer freezes up the system on loading, but I have mods that I have transferred over and play them on OS 4.1's SimplePlay. Now listening to my mods with SimplePlay and running Soliton is like slow, the system just can't handle it. Constant freeze ups and constant stalling with the cards. I do not have this problem with OS 3.9.
Now I don't know what an AmigaOne can do because I really don't like buying old archaic junk. PPC's to me are old archaic and dead. The reason I have my PPC is because I bought it when I thought the PPC's where going to be the thing of the future for the Amiga back in 1995 (if I remember right) I paid $399 for it at Software Hut. Heck it has been so long I may even be wrong on the price. Then I waited for OS 4.0 to come out, then when it did come out my Amiga was in storage in the Attic, since I had to move to Pennsyltucky with my job. So now that I have it and now that I have used it I am highly disappointed with the PPC's operation, multi-tasking and sound reproduction. As I said I cannot rate the AmigaOne because it to is an orphan computer. I wanted to say dead but some people still have them and use them. Will I put OS 3.0 back on my A1200, for now no, I have my A4000 using OS 3.9, and my A1200 will run OS 4.1 for now, so I can see what it will do.

smerf

Well stated Smerf.
My Mac boots MorphOS in slightly more then 30 seconds. I don't know what OS4 can do on something faster (like a SAM), but on a legacy system both MorphOS and OS4 are of questionable value.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2011, 04:02:13 AM »
Quote from: Franko;642820
To be honest I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if you were referring to some member here called CJ that I hadn't noticed before... (must be going senile)... :)

CJ - CommodoreJohn

I just thought it a bit of a laugh to tie the two together :D

Quote from: Franko;642820

I'll just leave me clothes on the beach now and head off into the sea... ;)

[youtube]6J4PGiJl2dQ&feature=related[/youtube]

:lol:

Great series :D
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2011, 04:06:12 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;642867
CJ - CommodoreJohn

I just thought it a bit of a laugh to tie the two together :D

:lol:

Great series :D

Ahh... gotcha now... neat... :)

Need to remember to refer to CommodoreJohn as Reggie Perrin from now on... :)

PS:Yup one the best comedy shows ever written... :D

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
Quote from: HotRod;642524
"We where here before you"?

Yes we were, and it seems a history lesson *was needed* after all:

An early version of MorphOS was first released to the public in September 2000.

An early version of OS4 was first released to the public in May 2004. Almost *four full years* behind, and by then MorphOS had reached version 1.4 or something like that.

The ones who have been here the longest, is the Amiga users (the left column in the picture), who has been here the whole time.

Ehm... I got my amiga -87 and been a user since then.

Well, I got my Amiga *before* you then :p, and I'm also still here! :) As are many other MorphOS, AROS and OS4 users. I still have a couple of Amigas (2x A1200 and 1x A600). But that wasn't the point.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline HotRodTopic starter

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;642888

An early version of OS4 was first released to the public in May 2004. Almost *four full years* behind, and by then MorphOS had reached version 1.4 or something like that.

The ones who have been here the longest, is the Amiga users (the left column in the picture), who has been here the whole time.

Well, I got my Amiga *before* you then :p, and I'm also still here! :) As are many other MorphOS, AROS and OS4 users. I still have a couple of Amigas (2x A1200 and 1x A600). But that wasn't the point.

Aha, I didn't know what you meant by that statement, if you meant here as in being the first to register at amiga.org :P . Sure I know that work began on MOS first, I ran 0.4 on my CSPPC. Like I said, no history lesson needed even though it seems that you're always prepared to give one. Are you sitting there prepared with that picture and some text that you copy and paste in case someone says something not being right about the amiga history?

« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;642540
The truth hurts those holding the short stick and some of them just can't stand hearing or reading the truth, so they are reduced to being like HotRod.  Sad little men with a complex that feel compelled to lash out with insults and lies.

With this thread HotRod must hold some kind of record in how many users one single individual can insult and piss off in one single thread. In retrospect it seems like trolling and provoking was the real purpose of the thread. If so - mission accomplished!

« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;642891
Aha, I didn't know what you meant by that statement, if you meant here as in being the first to register at amiga.org :P . Sure I know that work began on MOS first, I ran 0.4 on my CSPPC. Like I said, no history lesson needed even though it seems that you're always prepared to give one. Are you sitting there prepared with that picture and some text that you copy and paste in case someone says something not being right about the amiga history?

MorphOS was here a long, long time before OS4. Historical revisionism is a common phenomenon in groups with totalitarian or religious tendencies, and the only way to fight this is with *facts*. So yes, I will provide the true picture whenever you try to push your edited version of history, as you tried a few pages back.

« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;642892
With this thread HotRod must hold some kind of record in how many users one single individual can insult and piss off in one single thread. In retrospect it seems like trolling and provoking was the real purpose of the thread. If so - mission accomplished!

Nah but as usual the blue trolls couldn't stay off the thread so it was a given, I just took advantage of it.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;642895
Nah but as usual the blue trolls couldn't stay off the thread so it was a given, I just took advantage of it.

Lol. You asked why people on OS3.x hadn't moved over to OS4.x and people from all sides answered your question and quite honestly with the exception of yourself, the "trolls" have been courteous and polite in explaining their thought processes as to why they either kept with 3.x or picked an alternative.

Wilful ignorance sir, you haz it.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;642894
MorphOS was here a long, long time before OS4. Historical revisionism is a common phenomenon in groups with totalitarian or religious tendencies, and the only way to fight this is with *facts*. So yes, I will provide the true picture whenever you try to push your edited version of history, as you tried a few pages back.

You really are thick. I haven't put up any history lessons. Are you taking any drugs? Are you drunk? Or simply a morron?

« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;642896
Lol. You asked why people on OS3.x hadn't moved over to OS4.x and people from all sides answered your question and quite honestly with the exception of yourself, the "trolls" have been courteous and polite in explaining their thought processes as to why they either kept with 3.x or picked an alternative.

Wilful ignorance sir, you haz it.

Well, everyone not singing the Hyperion OS4 gospel is a "troll", that's their definition of the word as proven many times in this very thread. They themselves have a free pass to behave in the most insulting manners, and calling *others* "troll" while doing it. :rolleyes:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;642888

This diagram is a bit misleading in that it seems to imply that AROS is a derivative of 3.1, MorphOS is a derivative of 3.5 and OS4 is a derivative of 3.9. I'm pretty sure the MorphOS developers have always stated that there's no actual 3.x code in their OS, likewise AROS is a ground-up reimplementation. As far as I recall, there was probably more 3.1 source used as the original foundation of OS4 than any of the later ones.
int p; // A