Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...  (Read 24171 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...
« Reply #104 from previous page: April 28, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;634240
Cheers mate.  I've given it a 30 minute blast in the dishwasher to get rid of dirt, dust and grime before applying the paste.

ps The gloves (along with a new toolbox and a combination lock) are the result of me being totally unable to walk into B&Q and only buy the one thing I went in for in the first place (Which was Lye in this case).

Anyone else suffer from this debilitating condition? :lol:

When I go to B&Q my sister follows me these days to prevent me picking up "Bargains" when I'd only gone in for a tap washer or bag of screws... :D

(got a habit of buying LED torches these days for some reason, last count I had somehow managed to buy 11 of em so far... :))

Offline nicholas

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
Quote from: Franko;634244
When I go to B&Q my sister follows me these days to prevent me picking up "Bargains" when I'd only gone in for a tap washer or bag of screws... :D

(got a habit of buying LED torches these days for some reason, last count I had somehow managed to buy 11 of em so far... :))

Good to hear it's not just me! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »
Just thought I'd post the pics of my old VIC 20's before and after the Retr0Bright treatment as I'll need to pack them away for now as I'm running out of space for doing my A1200's... :)

Unfortunately I only managed to take this one pic before I started of the first one I tried. This was the worst case of yellowing I had ever seen on anything... :eek:

This one was made in England and seems to be made from a different plastic from the German made ones below which are less prone to yellowing and the English one when done comes up almost white in comparison to the German ones that come up the more usual creme colour... :)

English made VIC 20 Before...

English made VIC 20 After...

German made VIC 20 Before...

German made VIC 20 After...

And here they all are together...

As you can see the English made one had the biggest difference to it after the Retr0Bright but the German ones also came up looking how they should, it just doesn't show up in the photos that well, but when you see them with your own peepers the difference is amazing... :D

Now for the rest of me miggies... :)

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
Franko,

Would be interested in seeing pictures of your entire computer collection :)
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline nicholas

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
I did exactly as you said Franko but it made no difference at all. :(

Perhaps the bulb is the wrong sort?  It's a 75W UV Black Light.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
@ Nicholas

Surprised & sorry to hear that... :(

The only time I didn't get any results was when I first tried it without the "UV" black light. I'm only using 11W & 9W fluorescent energy saving bulbs and have had perfect results since doing so... :)

Only thing I would say if the room in which your doing it is on the cold side then the results are not so good and usually require another treatment (or more). Could be the bulb you're using is not a real "Balck light" and just one of those cheaper purple coated ones that give out the same light effect but doesn't actually give off UV rays... :(

this is the type I use.... it's an 11W energy saving type that fit in desk lamps you can buy from Argos (or it can use the 9W ones I bought on  eBay) ... :)

PS:If the stuff glows like in this pic then the bulb you're using is ok...

@ RMK305

I'll post some pics of my full collection after they're all Retr0Brighted, but there are plenty of folk here with far bigger & better collections than I have... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
I did a fresh coat of paste and left it for another 10 hours.

Same result again. :(

Just had a look at the auction i bought the bulbs from and noticed they are those cheap purple ones, need to buy some proper bulbs instead.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140531482895

Offline nicholas

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
@ Nicholas

Yup looking at the first ones you bought they're just the purple coated type that only give off a filtered normal light... (it even says so in the listing)... ;)

The second ones look like they should do the job just fine... :)

Offline Pentad

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
Quote from: Franko;634578
Just thought I'd post the pics of my old VIC 20's before and after...

Franko,

That is absolutely amazing!  They look like they just rolled off the assembly line @ Commodore.

Do you use anything to protect them from going yellow again?  Is that possible?

Cheers!
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;634968
Franko,

That is absolutely amazing!  They look like they just rolled off the assembly line @ Commodore.

Do you use anything to protect them from going yellow again?  Is that possible?

Cheers!
-P

I do actually (forgot to mention that) I give them a good polish up with CAR WAX just make sure it's the kind that has UV protection in it and it should help to prevent UV (yellowing) damage from reoccurring again in future... :)

Still find it amazing myself just how well this stuff works it's like you say they look like they've just shipped out the factory... :D

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Quote from: Franko;634974
I do actually (forgot to mention that) I give them a good polish up with CAR WAX...

You should set up a business cleaning these things since the UK postal service doesn't allow the strength of chemicals in retrobright to be shipped without notification.

With the amount of sun you're getting in Scotland atm I hope you aren't using that black lamp ;)
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;635329
You should set up a business cleaning these things since the UK postal service doesn't allow the strength of chemicals in retrobright to be shipped without notification.

With the amount of sun you're getting in Scotland atm I hope you aren't using that black lamp ;)

The peroxide I bought from the hairdressing company had to be sent via a special courier service that has a licence to ship hazardous materials but the stuff I bought from ebay which was stronger was posted via royal mail... :confused:

The sun may be out but it's still too cold here for it to have any effect, so right now I've got five Black Lamps on doing one of my A1200 cases... :)

As for setting up a service to RetroBright things for others, no thanks it's a long slow process and takes up a lot of space just doing your own stuff, plus to be honest it pretty damn boring... ;)