Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 52905 times)

Description:

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »

kreciu wrote:
Do you believe that anybody who us turning Amiga on and off now how to "compile" anything?

No, obviously.I just gave you a concrete solution about the problem of Prayer 2 :-)

Do you know how your body/organism respond for a virus infections? O, I forget you are not a doctor of medicine? :-o

Yes, i know.Not a doctor of medicine but a Degree in biology         :-P  ;-)
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline kreciu

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »
So in this case can you compile this "think" for me? :D

Thanks  :-D
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show only replies by Nearly-Right
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
futaura
I remember buying IBrowse 1.x in 1996 and 2.0 in 1999 - that's over 8 years in which people were able to buy IBrowse and those keys from 8 years ago are valid for 2.4 also.

Yes but some people want to buy it NOW, and maybe did not get the chance to buy it when it was available, and they are right that the lack of availability to buy a registered keyfile has been dragging on for far too long.

I have a registered keyfile, but I could imagine how it feels for others who cannot get one, and it would be enough to put people off using the Amiga, especially thesedays when so much is done on the WEB.

Stephan ought to have more pride in keeping his product available for any new customers he can get, as there cannot be that many in any case, so to let them slip by, and walk away is not doing any of us any good. Get it sorted out ASAP.

After all, when IBrowse 3 comes along I would imagine a new keyfile will be required, and an upgrade for even the IB2.x keyfile holders will be required, to get full access to the IB3.x program.

By the way, seeing as there has been little news on the release of IB3.x, what is the progress on that software?

Also, are we likely to see it this side of 2009, or not, just a simple yes or no will do?

A breakdown of where the program is up to would be greatly appreciated, as silence is no longer golden, it's monotonous, and I feel like an old mushroom, kept in the dark and fed on $$it.

Seeing as you do not update the IBrowse pages with any information as to the development with IB3 it is like being a miner expected to hew coal out of the mine with no light to work with, an unworkable situation.

I know you reply to questions about general IBrowse 2.x questions on forums, but we all want to know about the future, IB3.x and where it is up to also.

The last update I can find on the IBrowse website was in January 2007. That is way over a year ago, with NOTHING else reported.

Frankly everyone with the complaint about the IB2.x keyfiles no longer being available, almost pales into insignificance, when you realise there is no official news on the future of what could otherwise thesedays be deemed a doomed/dead browser, though I would hate to think of IBrowse this way.

Get some news out about IB3.x, and get the availability of IB2.x keyfiles sorted out as a matter of urgency, can you afford to lose the few interested new users that you might get that would migrate to IB3.x if they were able to come on board? I think not.

Offline Lemmink

• Show only replies by Lemmink
    • http://www.lemmink.joice.net
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
Though your points might be right I would suggest you all use a friendlier tone.
Maybe mails starting with appreciation for what has been done so far, or expressing the strong wish to purchase the software without using harsh words have a better chance of beeing answered.
I'm not talking about kissing someones ass, I'm talking about realizeing who wants something from whome.

No matter how frustrating the situation might be, never forget that here in Amigaland the users are hardly in a position to demand anything from anyone be it software or hardware.

Be happy about the things that get released when they get released and get over the things that do not get released (BoXeR anyone ?). If you can not live with that better turn your back on the Amiga hobby.
Not really interesting, but it`s there.
http://www.lemmink.joice.net

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
@Nearly-right

I've still got a warm fuzzy feeling about having the upgradae from 2.3 > 2.4 :-D

Ibrowse3 will be a bonus, but based on the time gap between 2.3 > 2.4, I'm not holding my breath.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline futaura

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
@Nearly-Right

I had hoped the distribution situation would have been sorted by now, and I agree it has gone on for too long.  Not that IBrowse hasn't been in this situation before - the HiSoft->IOSPIRIT transition/uncertainty period (the doomsayers were preaching that IBrowse was dead back then too).  I'm sure the matter will be resolved sooner or later.  It would have been solved months ago had it been our main source of income, but given the state of the Amiga market we all have other priorities too.

Development is ongoing, and my "plan" would be to release a new version this year, but this perhaps hinges on when the distribution situation is sorted out.  I won't lie though - I think it will be some time before IBrowse has proper CSS-rendering support which OWB already has - maybe we'll lose our motivation before then also (personally speaking, the distribution problems haven't exactly helped with my motivation, so it's not just users who are suffering).

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
@futuara

Perhaps a bounty would increase your motivation?

Ontop of the ongoing gratitude of the entire Amiga community and the kudos of being one of the authors of the best Amiga browser too, of course!

Whatever happens, I'm happy to have paid out for the software - money well spent.

Regards

Rich

Offline futaura

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »
Boot_WB wrote:
@futuara

Perhaps a bounty would increase your motivation?

It might help :-D.  But, seriously, developing IBrowse has never been about money - it's mainly about the fun we have writing the code and something interesting to do in our spare time.  I've never really liked the idea of bounties - in IBrowse's case it would be added pressure (i.e. what happens to the bounty money if we don't end up delivering for whatever reason, etc) and not motivation.  Personally, I still find developing IBrowse fun, but don't have quite as much time to spend on it as I used to, at the moment.

All I can suggest to people is to bear with us, and we will sort things out soon, and hopefully bring some good news too.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »
 I'll love the idea of a real up-to-date Amiga 68k browser, and hope I can afford it (my conscience = wife don't allow me to spend more $$$ in Amiga nowadays).

And I can assure: Ibrowse 2.4 still is the best browser for classic Amigas! Keep the good job!:cheers:
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 12:08:03 AM »
@ Nearly-Right

I think you're right on about the lack of news being problematic.

It's a weird dynamic we have in the Amiga market. We have a long history of vaporware announcments, culminating, I think, with Amiga, Inc.'s Executetive Updates in the 2000-2001 period. Eventually even they said that they wouldn't announce anything until it was ready to ship. They've been essentially silent ever since (apart from additional vapor announcements), and I think that others, consciously or not, don't want to be perceived as another Amiga, Inc. (or similar non-delivering entity).

The pendulum's gone too far in the opposite direction, though. We've gone from vapor to nothing and I think that's hurting the "market" just as badly. With no news, it looks like there's no activity and users are ready to throw in the towel, whether that be leaving the platform (as seems to have happened with a lot of Pegasos/MOS users), or declaring a product dead and asking for keyfiles. If I may suggest, no perceptible news leads to no perceptible user interest leads to no developer interest, maybe?

But there is interest, as the occasional, yet lively, IBrowse (and MorphOS2, etc.) threads show.

I think everyone is (or should be) aware that Amiga development isn't sustainable as a primary business and that coding is done on one's own time and therefore takes longer. No problem. I was too harsh with my comments on IBrowse development being slow. Amiga users are patient. They wait. But if it looks like there's nothing to be waiting for, then that's the problem.

Not asking for release dates. Maybe just a semi-annual check-in. What's been worked on, what's still to be done, a screengrab or two (WinUAE is great with these sorts of updates). That's all. And I'm not just talking about IBrowse. Visible activity on any product would help sustain the market (maybe even expand it if some hardware turns up), benefiting users and developers alike.

EDIT: Bottom line: Take pride in your products and let people know they exist! :-)

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 01:15:59 AM »

...The sticking point is that Stefan has been very busy lately and not involved much in IBrowse, and it is he who needs to sort out the distribution stuff.

).

You here this time and time again.  Just how busy are the lives of these software writers (its not just Ibrowse), that it takes them YEARS to do anything about distribution of their software?

The way I read it, its not that Stefan's been trying to set up a suitable distributor and failed. No, he's finding it hard to find the time to even try.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who had any sort of priority or desire to distribute their software would have so little time in their lives to do so.  What would it take, really?  An email to a distributor,  areply from the distributor, a deal and some space on a website. Actually the developers should be commended on their patience as well.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate that the software is there and being developed still, even slowly, and yes I am a registered user, but don't ask me to believe its due to a lack of time either: its due to a lack of desire on Stefan's part, Stefan should just come out and say it.

Offline Terse

• Show only replies by Terse
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 01:18:44 AM »
I agree with the above poster.  Until I saw this thread I had assumed that iBrowse was dead.  It does not look in any way different than any other dead project/product that maintains a web page (example: MagicWB)

I don't have a NIC, but if I did I would not have hesitated to use a hacked copy of any Amiga Browser with the understanding that all have been abandoned completely with a final parting message of "don't worry - we'll be back for ordering real soon!"

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 02:54:45 AM »
No need to mess with cracking iBrowse!  Just get a bootleg ibrowse keyfile!  I own the original iBrowse 2.1 and could not upgrade but I am fine with using a bootleg keyfile that I found with Google.

I am sorry if you have a problem with that!  But I could care less!  Why?  Because I am a paying customer that is entitled to the latest upgrade and cannot get it because it is not available any more!

I guess I should just junk my Amigas and just buy new PC's with Vista, it comes with IE7 for free....  :whack:
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 05:40:32 AM »

Boot_WB wrote:
@Nearly-right

I've still got a warm fuzzy feeling about having the upgradae from 2.3 > 2.4 :-D

Ibrowse3 will be a bonus, but based on the time gap between 2.3 > 2.4, I'm not holding my breath.

Not being a "Ibrowse Fan", coming from a history of buying and using AWeb in the distant past and recently via AmiKit emulation, I have not kept up with the features that Ibrowse 2.4 has and AWeb3.5 does not.

It is my understanding that AWeb is currently being worked on as an Open Source project which I think is a good thing.

If Ibrowse2.4 were commercially available I would probably buy it just to support further development, but AWeb3.5 works fine for most of my browsing needs on an Amiga or emulated Amiga so far as I usually leave security sensitive Internet browsing for my Mac.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline a-pexTopic starter

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »

futaura wrote:
In my view, this is a completely different situation to Miami(Dx).

Not really, we have a very good product, the people want to buy and the programming team say: NO WE DO NOT WANT TO SELL IT!!! :-(

It is a real strange situation, because normally the authors are complaining that they are selling not enought AMIGA VERSIONS. The people in my forum are now waiting since OVER 1 YEAR and my problem ist, that my forum is only running perfectly with IBrowse 2.4 (in 2.3 are some bugs).

And, IIRC, he was handling his own registrations so it was his choice to stop.

But the Ibrowse team got many offers and are doing nothing since over 1 year!!! Andreas Magerl / AmigaFuture is distributing many, many Amigasoftware and Amigabooks and everyone is happy. I do not know what you really want?

Even I can sell IBrowse!!! My programmer made the offer to generate a nice german / english homepage, with own domain, making the full registration. But even this offer was unanswered.

And YES, we are writing still friendly emails! Opening this thread was the first unfriedly thing that I have done to get in touch with someone, to help the community, to clear the situation, or to make a own keyfile generator. ;)

On the flipside, Amiga users have had years to buy IBrowse 2.x, so I don't think all the blame can be pushed in our direction.

STOP!!! In my german amiga community are very much people that came back in 2004/2005 when I start my forum! With my contacts I found many "new" users and many hardware developers (see the phoenix II). All this people never had the chance to buy IBrowse in the past.

The sticking point is that Stefan has been very busy lately and not involved much in IBrowse, and it is he who needs to sort out the distribution stuff.

Everyone is busy, I also have a girlfriend, a job and have to travel very much, but I still take care to solve my important problems. If Ibrowse 2.4 is no more important for Stefan, he can release a keyfile for the community. ;)

Can you please help me to get about 30 registered legal keyfiles?
I will pay using paypal, give to you all the data needed from the users and you will send me the keyfiles? Is this possible? Or not?

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #29 from previous page: April 10, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »
@ Thread

I understand the frustration, but do you think a load of attitude is going to
a) encourage the Ibrowse team
or
b) Make the Ibrowse team see the Amiga community as full of ungrateful W@*kers.

These people are doing this for nothing, in their own precious free time (yes, we all have a life away from the Amiga), on top of having full time jobs.

Get a grip, check the attitude, and think about what approach is likely to yield results: ungrateful yapping about "what they owe their customers" (all of whom have already received the product they paid for - upgrades are offered as a free bonus) or friendly encouragement.

@TJlazer - frankly mate, your facts are incorrect. If you own a keyfile for v2.1, then the same keyfile will work for 2.4 without any modification. If you have had to download a bootleg keyfile then you obviously have not paid for a 2.x keyfile in the first place.
The v2.4 distribution is available on the Ibrowse website, so basically, your words say that you are just stealing their software.

Regards

Rich