Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4000T problems, wierd video output  (Read 1610 times)

Description:

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
Re: 4000T problems, wierd video output
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 17, 2008, 04:22:36 AM »
Hold both mouse buttons when you turn it on or reboot and see if you get the early startup boot menu. If you do, then your problem is minor. Make sure the ribbon cables going to the I/O board are not misaligned by a pin. You may need a flashlight to see. Try a different power supply. It's just a standard AT power supply and it's easy to swap. I just swapped mine out and it solved random crashes and periodic reboots I was having.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
@Kristian95: Yeah, I think there's a defective part somewhere, too.

@yogisumo: There's no hard drive installed, so no drivers or prefs; I can't even get to a Kickstart screen so there's no point trying with a floppy in, either.

@amesie2: I have tried warm booting several times, with no luck.

@matthey: I can't get an early boot menu, I can't get anything at all. My power supply is brand-new [like everything else in the system aside from the motherboard at this point] and everything is hooked up correctly.

Offline Kristian95

• Show only replies by Kristian95
    • http://www.karlshoj.com
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »
Maybe you get something out of hearing this:
I accidentally put my ports module cables in 180° flipped. This has resulted in a dead Paula chip. The result: The computer doesn't boot but is stuck at the light grey start-up screen. Nothing I do will change that (until I get my replacement Paula chip and a socket for it soon :-)).
That's why I guess one of your custom IC's is dead....
If you are willing to spend about $300 Ed Jeffries in Kansas can repair it for you.
Proud A4000T owner
Project: Make a GB A1000 :)
Project homepage: http://www.gba1000.info/  <-- The right place for your GB A1000 questions! :)

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »

Kristian95 wrote:
Maybe you get something out of hearing this:
I accidentally put my ports module cables in 180° flipped. This has resulted in a dead Paula chip. The result: The computer doesn't boot but is stuck at the light grey start-up screen. Nothing I do will change that (until I get my replacement Paula chip and a socket for it soon :-)).
That's why I guess one of your custom IC's is dead....

I double and triple-checked which pin was pin 1 on each of those connectors when I hooked it up. But I don't doubt that there's a dead chip on the board, because it would work otherwise - all the other components have been checked and work.

If you are willing to spend about $300 Ed Jeffries in Kansas can repair it for you.

Forget about it; I paid just over $300 for the boards in the first place, I'm not about to double that to get them fixed when they were guaranteed against DOA.

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »
no loose screws under the motherboard?

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »

yogisumo wrote:
no loose screws under the motherboard?

No, there are no loose screws or anything that could be shorting a connection.

I think I give up on this one. :(