Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!  (Read 13594 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
Quote from: billt;589021

Cool. Though I question the need to have the disk animation and Amiga checkmark exactly as they were, as it seems those images could suffer from copyright issues. Are there plans to have some new imagery to replace them once things progress and there is less and less and then none of Amiga Inc's code in there?

FrankenROM is the term Jason coined to explain that it's part Aros code and part KS3.0.

I'm sure those are parts of the original kickstart.

All original parts will be replaced as individual replacements are stable enough.

It's just easier to test when you can test one section at a time for compatibility rather than trying to do it all at once, not knowing which part broke the whole.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
Quote from: billt;589021
Though I question the need to have the disk animation and Amiga checkmark exactly as they were, as it seems those images could suffer from copyright issues.
Again, the reason you see it because this is not AROS. It's original Commodore KS ROM.

The only part AROS is the exec. That's a tiny fraction of the KS ROM.

Are there plans to have some new imagery to replace them once things progress and there is less and less and then none of Amiga Inc's code in there?
They're not images as such, but rather instructions on how to draw the vector gfx involved. Anything else would have taken way too much ROM storage.

It will get replaced as soon as the strap module is replaced.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:19:17 PM by Piru »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
Quote from: kolla;588951
No more silly boing balls please - I very much perfer the one and only true Amiga logo - the checkmark - which btw is free for anyone to use, since none of the Amiga copyright/IP holders cared about it.
I'm with this. I like the checkmark logo, but something a little more elegant than the KS2-3 version would be good; it looks a bit too much like a mid-90s "I'm just learning Turbo Pascal!" shareware thing. Maybe something sort of like the old Windows 95 BOOT.SYS with some color-cycling? (Not with the clouds, obviously, but a largish checkmark against a simple abstract backdrop?)

'Course, if we do want a sexy animal, I'd be happy to assist ;D

(P.S. yeah, I know that's still the old Kickstart doing the splash-screen gruntwork; I'm just tossing out ideas for when it does get to the point that a replacement is in order. Heck, if someone would point me to some documentation on how that section works, I might take a stab at a new screen myself.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:38:27 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Piru

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;589027
(P.S. yeah, I know that's still the old Kickstart doing the splash-screen gruntwork; I'm just tossing out ideas for when it does get to the point that a replacement is in order. Heck, if someone would point me to some documentation on how that section works, I might take a stab at a new screen myself.)

Well, you have a very tight space constraint. It can be asked if AROS KS ROM even fits 512KB as it is now. Images are definitely out, so anything you do must be mathematically generated.

I don't think that AROS even implements the "please insert disk" animation of any sort as of now. So you have free hands on this one. As long as your effects fits into say 7KB it should be fine. Some free hints: You really want to look into vector graphics and perhaps procedural generation.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »
I perosnally dont think we need any sorrt off animation.

Cant say I have seen that screen come up in a long time.

Who is going to be booting off floppy  ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
Oh definitely vector/procedural type graphics; no question there. Would this be okay to make Amiga-specific, or would they be looking for something cross-platform? (i.e., is it safe to go stuffing registers, or should it rely on graphics.library?) What is the code structure like? Is it a function that gets called periodically, or what?
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
It's way too early to say, but if at all possible, I'd assume using built in routines.

We don't need another unmanageable asm only, hard coded to the hardware mess.

For all you know, the machine it runs on may not even have the custom chipset.

Once it does work though, I'm sure it will fork all over the place.

There will surely be 1.3-type ROMS for old games, 3.1-type, 060 specific, ROMs for super-expanded Amigas that boot directly to RTG cards with USB input, etc.

Aros will really open up a lot of options without needing OS3.1, Picasso96 or CybergraphX once it's finally complete.

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 04:29:33 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;589027
... Heck, if someone would point me to some documentation on how that section works, ...

I suspect there is none, so maybe you could take a stab at generating some :)
I'd be interested just to see how it works. You would have to disassemble sections of KS and comment the code, for starters. Would be interesting if you could re-factor it into a callable subroutine that could be run anytime you wanted to see the 'hand'.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »
So about the original post. It did express my honest buffuddlement at your pirsuit of this endeavor.

But, as someone with no current 68K based hardware I am hardly the target for this project.

Further, if you guys want this, support this, and see benefit in it, far be it from me to discourage a project that advances the Amiga platform.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:11:47 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Piru

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
Quote from: hardlink;589043
I suspect there is none, so maybe you could take a stab at generating some :)
I'd be interested just to see how it works. You would have to disassemble sections of KS and comment the code, for starters. Would be interesting if you could re-factor it into a callable subroutine that could be run anytime you wanted to see the 'hand'.

Well I've actually done it once. I even wrote my own gfx replacement using the routines. Unfortunately I have no idea where I might have the source code...

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 05:54:46 PM »
So basically once this is completed, AROS boots as the native OS on Amiga HW, correct?  Or am I missing something.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »
Hmm. Well, I'm just going to play around with designs and graphics.library coding; if you ever find the information on integrating it into Kickstart, drop me a line :)

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;589058
So basically once this is completed, AROS boots as the native OS on Amiga HW, correct?  Or am I missing something.

The long term goal is to have a ROM that can replace the 3.1 ROM and still run AmigsOS and games or use AROS as the OS.

If using AROS as the OS, you could access more advanced features like the AROS CybergraphX replacement, hardware independent device layer, USB, etc.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »
the coolest project since years, wonder why this was impossible to do earlier. will have impact at much broader front than aros or 68k alone i think.

Offline deadwood

• Show only replies by deadwood
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 07:04:28 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;589072
the coolest project since years, wonder why this was impossible to do earlier. will have impact at much broader front than aros or 68k alone i think.

Because there was no person interested and with enough knowledge. Now such person joined the team and the projected kickstarted ;)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 03, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;589065
The long term goal is to have a ROM that can replace the 3.1 ROM and still run AmigsOS and games or use AROS as the OS.

If using AROS as the OS, you could access more advanced features like the AROS CybergraphX replacement, hardware independent device layer, USB, etc.

Would AROS be totally contained on the ROM, or would the ROM act as a bootstrap for AROS?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"