Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Ocean" gaming company was awesome, what do you think?  (Read 2875 times)

Description:

Offline kamelito

Re: "Ocean" gaming company was awesome, what do you think?
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 02, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Quote from: Paulie85;733420
Weren't most of the cutesy arcade platformers ported by Ocean France?
They seemed a lot more capable than their British counterparts IMO.

+1

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
I now work with one of the guys from Ocean, Stephen Hey, who was about during the period that game was released. I'm envious as I was still in university at the time and yet he doesn't see much fuss in his working (in sales) for one of the great classic software developers.
Then again the company we work for now is probably seen by the teens today as ground breaking/classic of the future.

Quote from: B00tDisk;733445
Ocean released Jurassic Park which had - for the Amiga - groundbreaking FPS play.
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;733464
Renegade the arcade game? That was released under the Imagine label and later on hit squad. Ok, so both of those were owned by ocean :-)

Most ocean/imagine games were really good.

System 3 released alot of nice games too.

My bad!  Renegade, of Chaos Engine fame :D  Or you could say Bitmap Brothers.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:15 AM »
Quote from: brownb2;733547
I now work with one of the guys from Ocean, Stephen Hey, who was about during the period that game was released. I'm envious as I was still in university at the time and yet he doesn't see much fuss in his working (in sales) for one of the great classic software developers.
Then again the company we work for now is probably seen by the teens today as ground breaking/classic of the future.

I tracked down a copy of the game for DOS and ran it in a virtual machine (doesn't run well in DOSBox)...the PC version...well, hell, the Amiga version too...were pretty groundbreaking.  The DOS version had fine graphics and non-orthagonal walls before Doom, plus look up/down before anyone else (including the awesome Ultima Underworld and System Shock).  Sadly the FPS parts were hindered by poor controls - you could mouse around, but no mouselook, and moving forward required pushing the mouse, moving it back, and pushing it forward again (or using bound keys).

Tell your co-worker at least one retro-game fan appreciates their hard work on making a decent game, and trying their damnedest to make a palatable port of it for the Amiga, too!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:13 AM »
For me Pang was king. I'm not normally a fan of those types of side to side games but i adored that game. There was always that sense of "just one more go".
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.