Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vampire going into high end production  (Read 4896 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Vampire going into high end production
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;823449
the guy is doing things, with an amazing motivation and endurance. he and gunnar have probably delivered more that anyone else within last years, and there is more to come. all you have ever done was talking big. considering this, your opinion doesnt count a dime.

Right...I was in business when many of you were children.
If you want to continue to act like children, that is your decision.

But the business model is asinine.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
Quote from: David Wright;823445
Still $300 for 500 version.

Excellent. I'd take one for that price.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;823451

sorry, i have never knowingly came across anything you have done, but im constantly getting to read your posts, where you refer to yourself in a rather grandeur manner, as if it was everybodys matter of interest, what you are going to do and what you are going to buy or not, while you dont miss an opportunity to badmouth vampire people.

if i have a choice to act like you or act like a child, ill take the latter. everybody who might be interested knows your opinion by now, no need to repeat yourself.

Offline TekkNed

• Show only replies by TekkNed
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
The web service to this account has been limited temporarily!
There is a server resource overage report open for this account in the User area. To remove the limits, please log into your User area and consider the options available to resolve the case.

Offline Acill

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 08:03:58 PM »
Interesting news. I hope things work out well for them this time and things move along. The website being down from what I expect an increase in traffic isn't a good start.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline kolla

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »

And you're from Delaware, the irony is thick :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »
The trouble is that the 'special' kind of people who create innovative hardware/software are not the best kind of people to market and produce it (we've seen this so often in the retro scene).

The Amiga A1200 replacement case shows how it can be done right:

1) launch a successful campaign to raise the capital
2) Get your product mass produced on the cheap
3) Keep your backers updated about the delays that always occur in AmigaLand
4) Pay for an actual shipping company to ship the bloody thing ;)

It's not too late for the Vampire to have a great Kickstarter campaign with the A1200 model...stretch targets could be a model for CD32 and A3000  :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:31 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;823467
The trouble is that the 'special' kind of people who create innovative hardware/software are not the best kind of people to market and produce it (we've seen this so often in the retro scene).

+1

The A1200 replacement case project...  LOL, two years to ship, at least the cases arrived in good shape (although the mug packed in with them the handle was broken off)... but people's lives and expectations change in that period of time.  I love the idea of Kickstarter, especially for backing something your heart's really into, but I don't think I'd back something like that on there again.  From now on out I think I'll wait for products to be in-stock and available from a trusted retailer, instead.  Just IMHO.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:25:25 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »

1) launch a successful campaign to raise the capital
2) Get your product mass produced on the cheap
3) Keep your backers updated about the delays that always occur in AmigaLand
4) Pay for an actual shipping company to ship the bloody thing ;)

It's not too late for the Vampire to have a great Kickstarter campaign with the A1200 model...stretch targets could be a model for CD32 and A3000  :)

äh, the a1200 replacement case is ages behind a schedule  and has been becoming enough flack themselves. same for fpgaarcade. natami has not been delivered to the public atall! not that i say the flack is justified.

apollo people, same as everybody else, are free to choose how they want to proceed with their project. they could bean it, as long they didnt take any money from you up front, and they would have been well within their own rights.

they dont owe community nothing. same as you are not oblidged to deliver game ports to the community (for free) and may quit any time. i really dont understand these constant blames and demands towards people, who like you, actually do or did something.

edit: btw i can well understand why they dont want to make kickstart out of it. let alone they need to do that. they want to keep their project flexible and dynamic, rather than fulfilling obligations. they want to motivate others to join and contribute, create a current, rather than to make the public passively waiting for a product. they want people to come up with ideas. and this unfolds. read igors post on his page.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:43:49 PM by wawrzon »

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 11:58:10 PM »
I know the Amiga case was way behind schedule, I was one of the people waiting LoL

But even with the delays, the A1200 case is still the best example in recent times of how to produce and ship new Amiga 'hardware' to lots of buyers.  I can think of loads of other Amiga hardware releases that have been a total disaster in comparison, most of them just quietly disappeared (ScanJuggler anyone?)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:17 AM »
@nova

so you didnt sell all your amiga stuff;)

anyway, in this case vampire is second best, without kickstarter. there must be already few hundred people served, which is not bad in comparison to other products. im not one of them nor intend to be, except mybe if i sell my csppc to get vampire 1200, but im still rather convinced and supportive.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 01:29:47 AM »

Do you realize how pretentious this sounds? Also, do you realize this means diddly squat? What a person has done in the past is of little consequence. Its current actions that count. The past is just that... the past. Even experiences of the past can be counter productive. Its a different world today.

Perhaps their choices aren't optimal, but given the fact its the most successful bit of Amiga related kit in over 15 years I'd suggest they're doing OK.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Honkybear

• Show only replies by Honkybear
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 01:49:18 AM »
What's incredible is the current prices on the A600 Vampire 2 is selling for roughly $500 on ebay. There is definately lots of demand. I think I'll wait a little.
A600 ,ECS, ACA620EC ,A604
Mini MAC 1.42Ghz Morphos 3.3

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 02:44:01 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;823473
@nova

so you didnt sell all your amiga stuff;)

Well I have an empty case at least ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 02:56:58 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;823489
Well I have an empty case at least ;)

Well, if you accidentially end up with a Vampire in that empty box, have you seen the OpenGL thread on Apollo forum?
Just randomly throwing it up here, since you seemed quite 3D inclined a while back;

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=2¬e=4142

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 17, 2017, 03:02:00 AM »
Quote from: Niding;823492
Well, if you accidentially end up with a Vampire in that empty box, have you seen the OpenGL thread on Apollo forum?
Just randomly throwing it up here, since you seemed quite 3D inclined a while back;

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=2¬e=4142

Yes I did notice that thread :)

Adding OpenGL support to some of my old ports (and my old SDL library) would be pretty cool :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!