Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: European Camcorders  (Read 3951 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

European Camcorders
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
Are there any camcorders made in Europe?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: European Camcorders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;637617
Are there any camcorders made in Europe?

Probably not. Define "made"?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
Manufactured.

So Europe was suckered into letting Asia make everything too?

guest7146

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »
"suckered" being the operative word.

Consumer demand for lower prices has lead manufacturers to use Chinese sites to make their products.  Now it is almost impossible for a consumer electronics company to be competetive unless their products are being made in Asian countries.

But now the Chinese economy is the second largest in the world, and the current predictions are that they will soon knock the US off their perch.

Meanwhile we're struggling through a recession, we're losing jobs, and the financial system is in crisis.  Politicians are running around trying to find a way to kickstart our economy again.

I wonder when the penny dropped that we can't possibly kick-start our economy, because we don't produce anything anymore! The Chinese (and countries like them) have it all.  They have the products, they have the talent, they have the facilities, and they have the infra-structure for mass production.

We've given it all away.

So yes, "suckered" is indeed the right word.

AH.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Wow... couldn't find one manufacturer in this list that wasn't based in China... :(
(111 pages of them...) :eek:

Camcorder Manufacturers & Suppliers

Offline x303

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
Philips is Dutch, mainoffice is in Amsterdam

Offline Franko

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
Quote from: x303;637629
Philips is Dutch, mainoffice is in Amsterdam

Yup, but they don't manufacture the vast majority of their products (if any) in Europe, most is manufactured in Asia (China in particular)... ;)

Offline x303

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
Quote from: Franko;637630
Yup, but they don't manufacture the vast majority of their products (if any) in Europe, most is manufactured in Asia (China in particular)... ;)
Yeah, but at least mainoffice and R&D are still over here. And if china gets more and more expensive they move to another country. That's how these things work. :python:

Offline Franko

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »
Quote from: x303;637632
Yeah, but at least mainoffice and R&D are still over here. And if china gets more and more expensive they move to another country. That's how these things work. :python:

That would be like me setting up a company selling geniune Scottish products but they just so happen to be made in China... :lol:

There are very few products you can buy these days that are manufactured in Europe, and if they were then the prices would be so dear that few would buy or could afford them... ;)

Offices & R&D cost money to run they don't make the huge profits for companies, it's the simple fact that items are produced in Asia that keep companies like Phillips going, manufacture the stuff in Europe or the USA and you'll soon be out of business, it's the way of this world today I'm afraid... :)

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
Consumer demand for lower prices has lead manufacturers to use Chinese sites to make their products.  Now it is almost impossible for a consumer electronics company to be competetive unless their products are being made in Asian countries.
We've given it all away.

The Germans were rather smarter and tried to keep jobs.  They've now got the fastest growing economy in the EU as a result and the highest exports they've ever had.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:06 PM »
Amusingly, a while back there was a strike at a German auto-manufacturer because they were outsourcing some production to the United States :)

But yes, we're (as in, the west) pretty much screwing ourselves.

Offline Franko

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »
Quote from: runequester;637655
But yes, we're (as in, the west) pretty much screwing ourselves.

Suppose you could look at it this way...

At least we aint getting screwed by others... :)

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
Yup, and it's not limited to electronics. The company I work for manufactures test systems for hospital labs. As it happens, headquarters, chemical manufacture and R&D are in Ireland, equipment manufacture and more R&D in Germany, but our disposable kits have been moved to China where it costs a quarter of the cost it used to in Ireland - including shipping the chemicals over and shipping the finished goods back. It's sad, but you can't compete with that. I was lucky to be in instrument R&D, but there were many lost jobs because of the transfer of the disposables to China...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »
I hope I did not offend by saying "suckered", We seem to have done the same to ourselves. The unions are running the jobs out of town as well as high cost.
If I buy electronics from Asia, I would like to buy them from Japan.
They seem to have a good quality.

I did see a camera online from a company call Hasselblad. I believe they started in Austria or Switzerland.
 There base DSLR is 13,995.
It is very nice.

I would love to buy from the USA or Europe sometimes and not the Stuff from China.
Their stuff seem to be loosing quality.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 02:10:20 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;637683
I hope I did not offend by saying "suckered", We seem to have done the same to ourselves. The unions are running the jobs out of town as well as high cost.
If I buy electronics from Asia, I would like to buy them from Japan.
They seem to have a good quality.

I did see a camera online from a company call Hasselblad. I believe they started in Austria or Switzerland.
 There base DSLR is 13,995.
It is very nice.

I would love to buy from the USA or Europe sometimes and not the Stuff from China.
Their stuff seem to be loosing quality.

Love the anti-union sentiment. Do you really think it matters whether you're comparing union or non-union wages when what you're comparing either to is low cost Chinese slave labor?
Hey, at least the wealthy are doing OK.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"