Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best LCD choices for that proper AMI monitor feel in 2009.  (Read 7090 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Best LCD choices for that proper AMI monitor feel in 2009.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
You're young!  There's long discussions on how to make the Amiga attractive to young people, since most of us are closer to old age pensions than we care to admit.  What got you into Amiga?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
I got into the Amiga through my very first console, the CD32. Eventually I got an A1200 because I wanted to make my own CD32 games.

I was born the same year the Amiga was, 1985 :) And trust me, I'm working on several projects to try and make Amigas more attractive to young people, but there's lots of work to be done.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline AmigaPixel

• Show only replies by AmigaPixel
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:13 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;525668
Here's a little video of my Amiga LCD solution - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaz6fNpHYIg

@Cammy

Wow! I haven't seen so many Amiga in the same room in years. I was looking at a simple Amiga 23 pin RGB to S-video from Hello World Cables Connectivity Products, I was also considering this http://cgi.ebay.com/15Khz-RGB-CGA-Component-Video-to-VGA-Converter-Scaler_W0QQitemZ120340188651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c04d58deb

This looks like a very good option! I hope he gets more in stock soon.

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
@Cammy

I wished my wife was into Amigas, actually she liked when it was about doing graphics, but after I started to live, breath and eat Amigas it was a bit much for her. She still likes and admires the Amiga though.

Offline McFlyTopic starter

• Show only replies by McFly
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:56 AM »
Now that's more like it !

It took only one waking post to amount this fine data?  Well, I should do this more other then :) Glad to read your posts and your latest setup/findings.

Quote from: Cammy;525668
Here's a little video of my Amiga LCD solution - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaz6fNpHYIg

Cammy,

First of all let me salute your presence and newfound Amiga renaissance you present in your video. In times of tech declaration rather then substance or real innovations, I love to see someone your age travels this passion with the same aplomb nostalgia would drive most of us here. You also remind me how Nathan was surely very busy this month!  The latest shipment is out of stock (RGB to PAL/NTSC adapter) and again ordered two of them this month. Precisely for this application.

Ideally I would consider TN screen as heresy on my desk. I work strictly with S-IPS and truly allergic to TN brotherhood. Amiga  truly deserves such treatment but since this is a pleasuredome zone, I just don’t see much point. So I wanted something TN latest at least with those traditional benefits of fine response and somewhat refined color with present TN standards.

I’m very happy, looks very good indeed. Just made a note to make some photos to show you here.

Offline Damion

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 03:28:32 AM »
Ideally I would consider TN screen as heresy on my desk.

My little 15" TN panel is great for OCS/ECS gaming, and for 1024x768 output from Amiga gfx cards. (BTW - for an old card, the Picasso IV has *outstanding* analog output quality - hardly distinguishable from a digital connection.) On the downside, there is obvious color loss with some AGA things, when next to a CRT or PVA LCD... don't know if modern TN panels are still 6 bits per color though.

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »
@McFly

Well put!

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
@cammy

Do you know if this rgb/s-video converter can work with 31khz (DBLNTSC/PAL)? I am unclear if S-video is able to even carry 31khz or if it is limited to 15khz. I never really gave it thought before.

Offline tone007

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
31khz modes don't work over s-video, that holds true for the converter mentioned previously, unless of course you've got a magic display that'll take 31khz s-video (haven't come across one of those yet.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:17:07 PM by tone007 »
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
@tone007 Thanks for clearing that up, It would be cool if I did have that magic display though, unnecessary but cool.

Does anyone make an Amiga rgb to componet cable?

Offline tone007

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »
I tried making one once, but it didn't work.  I most likely did something wrong though.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
Luckily the LCD TV I use has a built-in flicker fixer, so there's no need for DblNTSC/PAL/Multiscan resolutions anymore. It's almost as good as having an IndivisionAGA, but a lot cheaper.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad

Get AmigaOS

Offline McFlyTopic starter

• Show only replies by McFly
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
Quote from: Damion;525756
My little 15" TN panel is great for OCS/ECS gaming, and for 1024x768 output from Amiga gfx cards. (BTW - for an old card, the Picasso IV has *outstanding* analog output quality - hardly distinguishable from a digital connection.) On the downside, there is obvious color loss with some AGA things, when next to a CRT or PVA LCD... don't know if modern TN panels are still 6 bits per color though.

As I’m sure you already understand the nature of TN screens : economy while being the most competitively priced. With such prospect TN has no aspiration being color precise and since earliest adoption traded depth for his biggest guns named Speed. Making them fastest players in that department. We all know primary fields where this virtues shines. That leaves us with many strategies which really have over the years made TNs much better then previous TN findings. Dithering + the usual strategies to declare them as 8-bit. Nothing critical color work would employ with any serious consideration, nevertheless, for many desktop users, very eye pleasing depending on its implementation and panel quality. In other words, camouflaged 6-bit screens as 8-bit are not that bad for their primary purpose. There is just no need for them to compete above their color league. Now that more economical  ways for S-PVA (C-PVA)  and E-ips (S-IPS/H-IPS) already available with models from Samsung, Dell and others to come…. You get the picture.

Quote from: Cammy;525832
Luckily the LCD TV I use has a built-in flicker fixer, so there's no need for DblNTSC/PAL/Multiscan resolutions anymore. It's almost as good as having an IndivisionAGA, but a lot cheaper.

Cammy that monitor of yours truly intrigues me. I like to pride myself being well informed in this department , yet shamefully I must confess that I’ve never heard of this model. Never heard of this brand to be more precise. Samsung provided his late 710 mp and 510 mp derivatives to some Asian makers, perhaps most of the logic is found in your monitor as well. I doubt it would be feasible from them to employ this left on their own devices entirely. Could you please for sake of my curiosity provide precise brand name and the very exact model number and don’t omit revision specification, provided one is available on your sticker. Tried to search form the data you provided on your youtube video, but alas, I couldn’t find any relevant or useful information. Also, could you estimate your purchase date?

Thank you

Quote from: AmigaPixel;525807
@McFly
 Well put!

Kind of you to say so AmigaPixel :)

Offline tone007

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 03:18:57 AM »
I've got one of these: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2001FP-R&cpc=SUGG that flicker fixes on composite/s-video.

Better than nothing, but not as good as Indivision/2320.

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »
I wasn't very successful in finding more info on the 19" MXT LCD1904HDD either.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 15, 2009, 02:09:27 AM »
Unfortunately all the information I listed on my YouTube video is all the information that is available with this TV! I have also tried searching for them, but to no avail.

It was purchased about six months ago from Coles or Woolworths (some Australian food supermarket) during some special deal, for $299AU. My friend's mum bought it for her caravan, since it's an all-in-one DVD/TV/Monitor sollution, and it's also 12v compatible for running off a car battery. Since she never goes on holidays though, I asked if I could borrow it just for a few days to test it out, and that was a couple of months ago (ssshhh).

I dread the day I have to give it back, because I haven't found anything as awesome as this screen anywhere since.

It's from China, like nearly everything sold in Australia, so maybe that's where we need to look.

Get AmigaOS