Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wii vs. CD32  (Read 5142 times)

Description:

Offline arkpandora

• Show only replies by arkpandora
Re: Wii vs. CD32
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »

Phantom wrote:
I had never thought that Speedball 2 could be amusing.

Are you nuts???  :crazy:  :crazy:  :-D

Certainly, but it takes one to know one.  I found this game ugly in all respects, so I didn't make the effort to take an interest in it.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
I have to say that the simplicity of the Nintendo games is highly attractive and addictive.  It amazes me that Nintendo makes a fortune out of regurgitating a lot of the same games or game play, but it does.  Not to say it does not come out with some newer stuff once in a while, but you have to ask why the same old crap is so popular with kids and adults alike.

I think it is quite simple, and illustrated in a conversation I had with a philosophy major a while back.  He says that when you reach a certain age, you begin rejecting new achievements and advancements, and that applies to music, games, etc.  My retort was that new things are often good and often bad, but what makes old things so good is not necessarily the nostalgia, but that there are plenty of old things which are timeless; think about how some games, no matter how they age, are still fun and challenging to play.

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »

Phantom wrote:
I prefer CD32 at all costs.

You'd have to be a masochist to feel like that. Or just like telling stories to generate controversy ;-) Or you dont like games and gaming at all, you just like nostalgia?

I can sort of understand, I am an Amiga Fanboy, but I am also a gamer who owns and plays all platforms, and I say the best thing about the CD32 was its medium's capacity (CD, 700Mbytes) which can now be exploited with WHDLoad!

The CD32 was $hite. Most of the games were $hite, floppy disk games just ported over. There are one or two gems amongst the fodder but as a whole it was a complete and utter failure! Every mainstream games console which came after the CD32 was more fun. Simply because they had the time and money invested in them and lots of developers creating exciting new games that embraced the technology that just wasn't there for the CD32 :-(

Phantom wrote:
To say the truth, Nintendo, for me is crap (about games). They  have games only for children, well most of them.

The Wii is a great console, games have amazing innovative designs the ideas generated in the controllers will be with us for years.

If you say the games are only for children, that is because you have never actually looked at any games and are just jumping to a media-hyped stereotypical view of Nintendo without any sampling of Adult games at all. That's kind poor from you.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is an amazing game. The gameplay offered via the WiiZapper sets it apart from any other FPS game on any console. It merges games like House of the Dead, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop with a great Medal of Honor FPS.

Super Metroid Prime 3, brilliant puzzles in a great 3D platformer which is also an FPS. Unique gameplay centered around the wireless motion sensing controllers.

Smarty-Pants combines Trivial pursuit with the Wiimote controllers. Great fun when you've got friends round and you want a more cerebral game.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, amazing idea first seen on the PS2, brilliant on any platform. Hours of fun.

Some of the games for kids are great fun for adults too:

Wii Sports, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda Twilight pricess, Zak and Wiki, .

They all offer better entertainment, longevity and fun never seen any CD32 title.

Offline alexh

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »

motorollin wrote:
The Wii is great for short bursts IMO, but I very quickly get bored until the next time. On the other hand, I could play on my CD32 for hours ;-)

Sounds to me like you probably only have one game for your wii, Wii sports. Get out there and buy (or download ;-)) some more games.

Start playing Super Metroid Prime 3 or Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 or Bully: Scholarship Edition and you wont be doing short bursts.

Zak and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros treasure is great too.. very much in the style of a lucas arts adventure such as Monkey Island.

If you liked Speedball II, then how come you're not playing Mario Strikers Charged Football?

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »

motorollin wrote:
@A4000_Mad
Don't get me wrong, the Wii is a great console and it's loads of fun. But you do have to be prepared to make the effort to move when you play it :lol: Wii Tennis doesn't work very well when you're all sitting on the sofa...

The Wii is great for short bursts IMO, but I very quickly get bored until the next time. On the other hand, I could play on my CD32 for hours ;-)

--
moto

I can play it from the couch just fine.  I can beat anyone standing up that way.  Few players actually force me to get up off the couch because of their skill...

So when Wii gets CD32 games on the Virtual Console, would it then be better than the CD32?  It's already got C64 games...  :)

What would be more interesting is that now that the Wii is hacked, if it did get CD32 games, we essentially could modify it to inject a 3.9 Workbench boot-up...and we'd have UAE on Wii for peanuts...

Offline Xamiche

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
Oh, the "Nintendo only has kids games" line again.  :roll:
This was a crock when it was first said, and it's a crock now. I smell the tall poppy syndrome. I think Xbox and PS fanboys are a little disgruntled at the Wii's success.

I think people just like generating controversy by saying stuff like 'I'd take CD32 any day over Wii'. I mean come on, are you serious? Like alexh, I'm an Amiga fanboy too, but the CD32 seriously has nothing on the Wii. The CD32 was a mediocre console even when it was new. I still love the little beast, because it's Amiga, but it seriously lacks. Mostly because Commodore went bust just after it's release. Had they been around to support it, it may have grown into a great console, with a great range of games.

As for Wii being a console where you have to move alot, I think that's the whole point.  :-D
A500, A600, A1200, A2000, A4000D, A4000T, CD32

Offline alexh

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
So when Wii gets CD32 games on the Virtual Console, would it then be better than the CD32?

I doubt that will happen, at least not for good CD32 titles. The data files are too large.

lou_dias wrote:
What would be more interesting is that now that the Wii is hacked, if it did get CD32 games, we essentially could modify it to inject a 3.9 Workbench boot-up...and we'd have UAE on Wii for peanuts...

Should be possible.. just don't upgrade your Wii firmware as they have already released a fix for the homebrew flaw.

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 02:27:25 PM »
alexh wrote:
just don't upgrade your Wii firmware as they have already released a fix for the homebrew flaw.

It forces you to update before it will let you play Mario Kart, though I don't know whether the hack will get around that.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
I agree with AlexH comments on the matter.

The CD32 is a great little item for an Amiga fanboy, I had the FMV module that made it a bit cooler but It's a footnote in gaming history.

At the time Commodore couldn't even get placment in Toys R US, Or any US reatailers at ToyFair, the writting was on the wall that they were bleeding bad.

A case to too little too late. Now if A CD32 came in to replace the shelf space commodore once had with the Commdore64 in US Retailers, maybe we'd all be playing Commodore Blu-Ray 256 bit mega system.

But even back then in the US, there was a concerted effort to make the world a single operating system world, and games were either Sega or NINTENDO. Marketing folk cleverly refered to the Amiga as outdated, and even though it was ahead of the competition for so long. Commodore rode that train for way too long.

Had a CD32 been released instead of CDTV or a year later it could have been a contender.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
Tbh I prefer the ordinary A500 over the CD32 in terms of addictive games. Also besides that the Dreamcast rocks like hell with games like Ooga Booga and Powerstone. A friend of mine has a Wii, but asides tennis it's not being played on much. Playstation 2 is ok with Gran Turismo and Monkey Ball initially we played the latter on the GameCube a hell of a lot, and since gamecube games can be played on the wii..
Still have to check out Mario Kart Double Dash.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline abbub

• Show only replies by abbub
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
I'm with AlexH on this one.  I love playing old games on my A2000, and have been having a ton of fun with it.  But I have a PS3 and a Wii, and I wouldn't give either of them up to keep the old games...

The Wii is a fantastic console, with some great games.  In my house I've got a SNES, a Genesis (Megadrive to those not in the states), a Dreamcast, a Wii, and a PS3.  The Wii is the only one my girlfriend ever plays.  I'd say of the 'this-gen' consoles, my time is split about 50/50 between the PS3 and the Wii.
Amiga: ...an elegant computer for a more civilized age.

Amiga 2000 Workbench 3.1 (A2630 @ 25 Mhz / ECS Agnus & Super Denise / 1 MB Chip, 4 MB Fast / GVP 2000-HC, 2 GB HDD & Plextor CD-ROM / 1080S CRT

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »
I agree that of the "next gen" consoles, the Wii is the most innovative. And I wasn't trying to say that the CD32 is "better" than the Wii. I was simply pointing out that with the games I had, the novelty of the controllers wore off and I got bored of it, and that after all these years the CD32 can still entertain a party for the evening!

Now that I've got Mario Kart Wii, the CD32 might not be switched on for a while... ;-)

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Honestly, If you want to "RELIVE" the CD32 experience on a real game system, go to any given URBAN video game store, In NY we have the neighborhoods where one store sell, cell phones, sneakers, wigs, and video games. Buy a second had XBOX $69-$89  and read up on how to do all the crazy mods.

Make sure you have the Samsung drive so you can read all those CD32 disks. Install UAEX for XBOX and you have a CD32 with Component output to a modern TV. Get one of those mutli game CD32 disks and you're set. You can also get USB converters and use a PC USB mouse and keyboard.

Try using modern hardware like that on an Amiga, a USB card is over $100.

I used a setup like this and it's really great. Still trying to build the "perfect A1200" that can do both CD32 and Amiga disk games. But that's becuase at one point I was working on the Mini-MIG mas prodction run and I was into seeing what ran on a real Amiga Vs. Mini-MIG. Also wanted a real fuctional Amiga to show investors.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
Crom00 wrote:
Make sure you have the Samsung drive so you can read all those CD32 disks. Install UAEX for XBOX and you have a CD32 with Component output to a modern TV. Get one of those mutli game CD32 disks and you're set. You can also get USB converters and use a PC USB mouse and keyboard.

Interesting idea. I have a chipped XBOX which runs UAEX but I wouldn't have thought about using CD32 discs in it! However, my XBOX is built in to my arcade machine so the CD32 will remain as the lounge Amiga  :afro:

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »

motorollin wrote:
alexh wrote:
just don't upgrade your Wii firmware as they have already released a fix for the homebrew flaw.

It forces you to update before it will let you play Mario Kart, though I don't know whether the hack will get around that.

--
moto

If you can run backups, there are tools that can remove the update from the discs then run the backup without the update...

Offline Psy

• Show only replies by Psy
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 18, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »

But even back then in the US, there was a concerted effort to make the world a single operating system world, and games were either Sega or NINTENDO. Marketing folk cleverly refered to the Amiga as outdated, and even though it was ahead of the competition for so long. Commodore rode that train for way too long.

That is because Commodore sucked at marketing.  Commodore should have just copied Sega's advertising style in the early 1990's of just saying how pathetic their competition is and talking like the competition is so laughably bad they are no threat.

For example:

This Ad focuses on Genesis being faster and cheaper then the SNES, Commodore could have done the same comparing the Amiga to a IBM compat (no point mentioning the Mac or AtariST as the point would be taking potential customers away from the IBM compats).

Commodore could have chewed the IBM compat in TV commercials even more then Sega chewed out the SNES as IBM didn't care about games thus there would be no major advertising campaign to defend the IBM compatible as a gaming system, thus the only ads gamers would see regarding the IBM clones is they suck as a gaming system. IBM wouldn't object as IBM positioned the IBM PC as a business PC, Commodore could have even have spun IBM marketing to their advantage, going see even IBM agrees with us that IBM PCs suck as a gaming system.