Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SOLVED! Anyone know of a KNOWN GOOD ATX PSU for use with an Amiga 3000?  (Read 1031 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

Heading says it all and I am asking PLEASE do not respond unless you are personally using or have used one in the past.  I am looking for specific makes/models that are KNOWN TO ACTUALLY WORK with an Amiga 3000.
Not trying to be difficult here but every time I read a thread about this there are tons of "Well this ought to work" or "why don't you try this one" and "my brothers friends cousin said some type of THIS worked but I am not sure" 

Trying to get GOOD usable information as I have tried 4 different PSUs with no luck and I don't want my nice 300 fried because of something stupid like an improper PSU.
So, is there anyone out there that has replaced the stock PSU with an ATX PSU and actually had it work?

SOLVED:  ROSE over at Amigaworld had the solution so thanks go to him/her!
@outlawal2

Did you move J350 to 2-3 from default 1-2 to since you wont get TICK from ATX PSU's.

Moved the jumper and tried again and works a charm!
Thanks Rose!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:23:36 AM by outlawal2 »

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
Re: SOLVED! Anyone know of a KNOWN GOOD ATX PSU for use with an Amiga 3000?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
May I ask which make/model PSU you are using as the A3000 needs (?) -5v which most available PSUs are lacking?

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Thanks for that! good info! did not know that! i would have been scuppered myself, as am looking to do a swap for a more modern (quieter) unit.

question. the A3k's PSU isn't exactly a "normal shape". what shape PSU are people managing to fit into their beloved A3k desktop cases?

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:04:18 PM »
OK sorry it took so long to respond, I was at work.
The PSU I am using is a Solid Gear Flex 320 Watt Mini-ITX Non-Modular Power Supply

The form factor is a FLEX-ATX which is a derivative of the MINI-ITX form factor.
This PSU is 6" x 3.25" x 1.6"  so it is pretty small. Much smaller than the original 3000 PSU.  (But far more powerful)
https://www.microcenter.com/product/457426/solid-gear-flex-320-watt-mini-itx-non-modular-power-supply?storeid=029

A few considerations when swapping the PSU on a 3000 is that the power button is built into the PSU so when using a replacement you need to replace this functionality.
If you purchase the adapter from Amigakit, this switch is included with it.
Also due to the smaller size, you will need to customize things a bit to secure the PSU in your case. (I am printing off a custom bracket for this purpose)

I have x2 3000 machines, one with a 68060 CPU and the other has a 68040.  The 060 runs pretty cool, but the 040 is a smoldering beast so I have also printed a custom part that holds a blower fan that mounts where the 2nd floppy drive would mount. 
I cut a hole in the PSU / Drive mounting plate that sits above the CPU card exposing the CPU.  The blower sits above the CPU (with an installed heat sink) and pulls the air from inside the case over the CPU and thru the heatsink and then is exhausted out the front of the case.  It is too loud as I used one of those slot type blower fans I had laying around but I don't care at this point.  It works very well and keeps the 040 very cool and that is all I care for the moment. Someday I will redo it and maybe install a rheostat to control the speed but this does the job for now.