Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another day in PC land  (Read 1307 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Another day in PC land
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »
I am setting up a dual boot system and hunting for the best program to use.
However read what this person had to go through to get their OS installed via USB.
Yes, thank you so much.

What I ended up doing was booting into my desktop and taking the Windows 7 upgrade disk I got with my new desktop that came with Vista, and I got the bootsect copied from it to my newly formatted 8GB NFTS pendrive. I ran through the command line commands to make the pendrive bootable, extracted the ISO to a folder and put that folder in the pendrive directory.

I then got another pendrive, put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it and booted into my netbook with the live USB. I then used Gparted to erase all partitions and create 1 NFTS partition. I rebooted with the Windows 7 pendrive in and what do you know, it worked!

I then used my old Windows 7 key that I had taken from the system specs before Windows was taken off the first time. I got all my Office stuff on there for school and I am ready to go.

I now have it dual booting to Ubuntu Studio which is what I wanted in the first place.

My brain hurts from all the computer knowledge I just received but in the age of technology I am sure it will come in handy again

Link here:
http://forums.techguy.org/linux-unix/929676-cannot-install-windows-xp-usb-2.html
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline alex76gr

• Show only replies by alex76gr
Re: Another day in PC land
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »
Let's suppose you are trying to create a dual boot system with Windows and Linux.
Let's also suppose you are making clean installs for both OS.
In such occasion i usually do this:

1) I boot from the Windows CD and through the installer i create your Windows partition.
Make sure you leave some unallocated space on your disk for the linux.

2) Install your windows OS normally.

3) After having installed windows insert your linux CD.

4) Through the linux installer choose the unallocated partition of the disk as your root partition.
Make sure not to choose the windows partition for obvious reasons.

5) When the linux installer asks where to install the Bootloader, select the "sda" as the destination.
This way the Grub bootloader will be installed in the MBR of your hard disk.
Grub will also detect any windows installations and will create a nice menu from which you can choose the OS you want to boot your system.

6) Proceed in your linux installation.
Amiga 1200 Blizzard 1240@40Mhz 32MB RAM 30GB HD
Amiga 1200 1230 MkIV 68030/50Mhz 32MB RAM 4GB HD
Amiga 2000
Amiga 500+ RIP  :cry:
Amiga CDTV

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Another day in PC land
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
I ended up using Win32diskimager. Works fine. The main problem was picking the bootloader on the USB. Some worked some didn't.
Go Go Gadget Signature!