Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS : PowerMac G5 Port Update  (Read 8776 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: MorphOS : PowerMac G5 Port Update
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 04, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
@Duce

no one in their right mind is going out to buy 150 used PPC Mac's or X1000 machines to set up a render farm.

Which, of course, nobody claimed either! :confused:

But as long as PPC is the common denominator it is interesting to compare the available options (though "availability" regarding the X1000 was always a matter of "creative definition", even before it was "discontinued"), and computing power is interesting in more contexts than render farms, like for instance normal every-day use when browsing heavy web pages or watching modern x.264 video streams. Ask a Sam (440/460) user how fun it is browsing the web using their precious "Timberwolf" (based on the bloatware Firefox). They would say it's not even usable. A X1000 user would perhaps say usable, but would probably still prefer Odyssey nevertheless. A Sam 440 with OS4 can't play normal DVD resolution MPEG-2 streams AFAIK (at least not the lower end ones), A Sam 460 might, at least with a graphics card that supports proper overlay. A fast Mac G4 with MorphOS can play 720p x.264 HD streams, and a G5 will play 1080p streams.

We aren't talking about render farms here, but simply CPU resources needed to achieve the normal, everyday computing use of today. These comparison charts is directly relevant for this, and when you also factor in the price tags (and availability) of the various options, the picture becomes clear.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline spirantho

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
@Duce

I agree with what you say. If you need fast rendering times, don't use any of the PPC lot.

If you're going to compare a MOS G5 machine with an AOS 4 X1000 (which runs a different platform on a different hardware spec using a different version of the program) you should also compare it with AROS machines, which are just as much NG Amiga as MorphOS.

It's great that the G5 is finally getting supported for MOS, but I don't understand the need to belittle the AOS 4 machines.

The G5 is the fastest MOS machine. The X1000 is the fastest AOS 4 machine. An x86 machine is the fastest AROS machine.

That's all that matters to me.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:06 PM »
Sorry but X1000 is not buyable anymore. So these benchmarks cannot influence buy decisions (what are they typical for). It can only proof (at best) what "fools" are those who bought X1000 and this only leads to emotional discussions. It would have been better to compare it to other MorphOS machines, these cross-camp comparations only lead to bashing. Even if it proofs that a G5 MorphOS system is faster than the X1000 with AmigaOS, the AmigaOS-User will not drop their choice. And new users cannot buy X1000. So I am not sure why this comparation.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »
olaf, why not compare discontinued machines? they both can be bought second hand.. at least theoretically.

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
Quote from: Duce;721233
I'm fine with comparisons.  But I'm also happier to put them into real world perspective - no one in their right mind is going out to buy 150 used PPC Mac's or X1000 machines to set up a render farm.  It's money in the toilet, an exercise in inefficiency.  A $300 commodity wintel box could outrun a whole cluster (I use the term cluster loosely, unless you know of a form of networked load balancing/load sharing that would make said cluster on NG systems actually work) of any of the NG Amiga's.

Well, Beowulf clustering has been around for OVER a decade, that would probably work on any NG Amiga that ran Linux:  http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/bookshelf/articles/how_to_build_a_cluster.html

Some hippies made a cluster from iMacs so I assume that G4 mac minis running OS X would work, too.

I do like the car-computer analogy, a thread about hardware isn't really good until one of those come up.  The engine is like a CPU!

But honestly, your comparison of a sporty car versus a utility vehicle is more akin to a high-performance workstation versus a redundant server ala HP Integrity Nonstop or some of the IBM POWER servers.  You know, machines that you can hot-swap CPUs and RAM in?  Machines that keep going through any conditions?  Versus something just going for high performance under ideal conditions?

Or maybe the SUV is like a regular PC and the hot rod is like a netbook or tablet?  The regular PC can slog through stuff that the netbook or tablet would have trouble with?  I mean, it can't be just the SUV is cheap like a commodity PC and the hot rod is expensive.  While that hot rod is worth something like $20k to $35k USD, SUVs tend to start at $25k and go up past $50k USD.  They are now more expensive and luxury than full size or large sedans!  And depending on where you live, and I bet Canadia is in this list, SUVs hold their value better than sedans as well, especially if they are 4WD or AWD.

Maybe shift the focus over to workloads, then?  The SUV might handle multiple concurrent transactions, maybe something based on the Sun SPARC T3 (8 cores, 16 threads per core, 128 threads total) and the hot rod would be more like a DEC Alpha of the olden days, just out and out straight IPC and performance?

Or maybe your analogy stinks.

What I don't get is why you, a self-proclaimed Amiga enthusiast, popped into the thread to just whine about how people shouldn't talk about hardware platforms that aren't the old, dead 68k machines that are of no use to anyone anymore.  You souped up your '32 V8 flathead roadster, I'm guessing, so shouldn't you intimately understand the desire to take something old, keep it running, and improve it with newer things like a CyberStormPPC or other peripherals?

Why is throwing money away on limited-use old things ok when it's your car hobby but stupid when it's our computer hobby?  I'd venture that most of the people here use Amigas as secondary systems because they aren't as stupid as you're making them out to be.  I dunno, maybe I'm wrong and most here use their Amiga 1200's as daily machines and wonder why they can't stream 1080p video from Netflix to their 1084.

Either way, I think your posts are in poor taste, offering nothing constructive to the thread for either MorphOS or information on PowerMac G5s.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;721241
If you're going to compare a MOS G5 machine with an AOS 4 X1000 you should also compare it with AROS

Why? The PPC is clearly the common denominator here, and what is being the topic of the thread, everyone knows that x86 (and ARM as well for that matter) is better off than PPC, but how does that matter for MorphOS and OS4? It's a comparison between what's available for MorphOS and OS4, about the PPC options these teams has chosen (besides, AROS already runs on the Sam 460, so so in a way AROS is included in the discussion (and in a way raising the question why AROS only runs on the slowest/least usable option)).
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »
@Duce. Stop feeding the trolls! You know it can only end one way. It will keep going on until someone gets a ban. Ask Iggy  :whack:

Can you put up some photos of your '32 hotrod? If it is anything like the yellow Deuce Coupe from American graffeti you are my hero :)

G5 or G4 it does not change the fact it is still Apple hardware. I have been using Mos for about 15 months and still can't figure out what it is supposed to be - an Apple or an Amiga. My theory is Mos developers are secretly mac lovers and are desperately seeking the approval of Apple. I think i will stick with my G4 macmini. It's much easier to hide than one of those powermacs :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:45:20 PM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;721255
G5 or G4 it does not change the fact it is still Apple hardware. I have been using Mos for about 15 months and still can't figure out what it is supposed to be - an Apple or an Amiga. My theory is Mos developers are secretly mac lovers and are desperately seeking the approval of Apple. I think i will stick with my G4 macmini. It's much easier to hide than one of those powermacs :)
Look at it this way: with Apple's attitude towards legacy support, PowerPC Macs are just as much cast-off orphans as any classic Amiga ;P
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;721255

I have been using Mos for about 15 months and still can't figure out what it is supposed to be - an Apple or an Amiga.

There's nothing of Apple (i.e. OS X) within MorphOS. MorphOS runs on Apple hardwrae, but that's all about the realation of Apple and MorphOS. It's the same as Ubuntu doesn't magically become Appleish if run on Aple gear.
You know - hardware, software (might have heard of it, but am not sure after reading your posts).

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;721243
Sorry but X1000 is not buyable anymore. So these benchmarks cannot influence buy decisions (what are they typical for). It can only proof (at best) what "fools" are those who bought X1000 and this only leads to emotional discussions. It would have been better to compare it to other MorphOS machines, these cross-camp comparations only lead to bashing. Even if it proofs that a G5 MorphOS system is faster than the X1000 with AmigaOS, the AmigaOS-User will not drop their choice. And new users cannot buy X1000. So I am not sure why this comparation.

I am intersted in ppc processors and hence appreaiate all benchmarks I can get hold of. Especially to learn more about the PA6T for which public information is pretty rare. But once upon a time it was rumoured it would e the überPPC and if it hd arrived b4 Apple's switch, they would never had switched.
Given the now public benchmarks of the X1000 I pretty much doubt these rumours as it shows Apple would not have gained too much with the PA6T over the e600 based chips i.e. 744x and 86xx(D).

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 11:55:36 PM »
They would not have gained anything. The PA6T is a castrated chip.
It was designed to be low heat, low power consumption for laptops. I don't think it was ever intended to be used in a desktop pc.

G5 blows it away. Apple needed to solve the heat problems with g5 and keep going with it.... X86 was just the easier (cheaper) way to go...

I like the power pc design but Intel and AMD just win on pure processing power, and when your manufacturing computers,thats what its all about, the cheaper faster cpu will always win.

As far as amiga os and smp, its got to be done eventually. Some companies
are now selling 12 core (or more even) machines. No one will want to be stuck with a one core machine/os. (Not unless amiga moves to a 36ghz single core processor. :razz:

Besides this, smp is just a beautiful thing. Stupid to ignore that tech and all that power just to preserve compatibility for an api from 1985.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:48 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;721266
There's nothing of Apple (i.e. OS X) within MorphOS. MorphOS runs on Apple hardwrae, but that's all about the realation of Apple and MorphOS. It's the same as Ubuntu doesn't magically become Appleish if run on Aple gear.
You know - hardware, software (might have heard of it, but am not sure after reading your posts).

Coming from someone who can't spell Apple :/
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.