Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Censorship On Amiga.org...  (Read 4792 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Censorship On Amiga.org...
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 02, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;577377
We can argue stuff up, down, and sideways; but when we get back to win3.1 I'm definitely out.

Actually, I though I'd nip it in the bud before they got to arguing between MSDOS Vs Dr. DOS, cause then there would have to be someone that would just post on and on about the awesomeness that is QDOS! But we know better, CP/M RULEZ!!!

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
Right, first things first... had me happy pills... in a much better mood now... :)

@Argo, thank you for the explanation, I know you didn't have to but it's much appreciated and I have to say I agree with the points you made and hope I didn't offend or upset you... :biglaugh:

Now I could start ranting and raving again, but I'm in too good a mood and can't be arsed getting involved in any more crap about censorship... :)

So I think I'll step out of this whole debate that the other me started and have a look around for something just plain daft to comment on... :)

Cheers :drink:

Franko (the happy one !!!) :)

Offline tone007

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 10:34:49 PM »
Have some haggis and wash it down with The Macallan!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:11 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;577380
"I bought this sandwich, I can scream 'fuck' in your restaurant if I wanna!"

Well, no, actually you can't, either.

Egg and cress? I wanted Tuna!

int p; // A

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »
Quote from: Franko;577401
Right, first things first... had me happy pills... in a much better mood now... :)

@Argo, thank you for the explanation, I know you didn't have to but it's much appreciated and I have to say I agree with the points you made and hope I didn't offend or upset you... :biglaugh:

Now I could start ranting and raving again, but I'm in too good a mood and can't be arsed getting involved in any more crap about censorship... :)

So I think I'll step out of this whole debate that the other me started and have a look around for something just plain daft to comment on... :)

Cheers :drink:

Franko (the happy one !!!) :)

Good, may we lock this thread? :hammer:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;577406
Egg and cress? I wanted Tuna!

Okay, who are you on space_ghetto ?

:D
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:24 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;577408
Good, may we lock this thread? :hammer:

Gad, censorship on the censorship thread! Will it ever end?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 02:27:18 AM »
******* ***** **  *****, **** ** ****?

****!
:)
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:44 AM »
Quote from: Argo;577397
Actually, I though I'd nip it in the bud before they got to arguing between MSDOS Vs Dr. DOS, cause then there would have to be someone that would just post on and on about the awesomeness that is QDOS! But we know better, CP/M RULEZ!!!

z80's were very cool cpu's almost as cool as 68000's
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 04:14:29 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;577452
z80's were very cool cpu's almost as cool as 68000's

Nah! Z80s and 6502s were one shots by renegade engineers who thought they could take the ball and run with it. They were cheap though, which is just one of the reasons I'm still pissed off by Apples pricing on their computers.

Hey! You do realize that we're SO far off topic that we'll probably get this thread shut down too.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 04:21:00 AM »
Quote from: iggy;577467
nah! Z80s and 6502s were one shots by renegade engineers who thought they could take the ball and run with it. They were cheap though, which is just one of the reasons i'm still pissed off by apples pricing on their computers.

Hey! You do realize that we're so far off topic that we'll probably get this thread shut down too.

hulk angry

Offline Iggy

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 04:29:17 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;577469
hulk angry

Quickly - Didn't say they weren't cool products, Red.

But they didn't go anywhere. Well that's not exactly what I mean, hell they were in EVERYTHING.

But they didn't lead to next generation processors (unless you count the 6502 derived processors in the C65 or AppleIIGS).

Being a controller geek, I miss the 6811.

Damn, that still off topic.

OK, hmm, censorship? OK, Frank Zappa testifying against music industry censorship (my hero)!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:31:46 AM by Iggy »

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
Yawn... Just woke up , spotted this thread by the other me, what the F$&*k... :huh:

seems to have started off about censorship, now it gone waaay of topic on to food & drink and CPUs... :crazy:

I've got a faulty CPU,  it's a B.R.A.I.N. 1 but it was made way back in 1964 and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere, any ideas... :)

On the subject of food, it's brekky time, think I'll have a tortoise an mushroom sarrnie, washed down with a nice cup of melted car tyres and tree trunks... :drink:

censorship... never heard of it... :rolleyes:

PS: why isn't this thread locked yet !!! ;)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
Each to thier own, but personally I have no qualms with threads that have deteriorated to the kind of garbage that the thread in question was reduced to being closed. What exactly is it that people are wanting to defend ? The right to talk crap and annoy others with semantics and/or innane arguements that people involved with understand both sides but argue anyway just to be "right"? Yes, what a tragic loss that is. People often talk of censorship and peoples right to freedom of speech. What about others rights not to have to deal with those that think of forums as thier own playground for rudeness ? A medium such as this has an obligation (if not that, at least an interest in) to keeping the majority happy, and hopefully the sheer volume of childish behaviour comes from a small minority. In short the needs/wants of the many are more important than the right to free speech..... believe what you want, even talk about it, but not when it's to the detriment of others.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »
Hi fishy_fiz, I agree with the majority of what you say in your post, but then you went and shot yourself in the foot with the statement "In short the needs/wants of the many are more important than the right to free speech.....".

In posting this statement you have just elected to use the ability of free speech but what if the majority had decided that it didn't suit their 'needs/wants', by the virtue of your own statement then you shouldn't have been able to place your post to start with.

If you restrict the ability of even one individual or a minority to use free speech, no matter how much you disagree are insulted or find objectionable what those views are. Then as a society we would be saying that censorship is more important than free speech just because the 'needs/wants of the many' who are either too blind to see, or have chosen to ignore the harm and injustice this would cause to the few is more important.

A simple and perhaps the most obvious example of this would be the abhorrent and crazed views of a certain Adolf Hitler, he used the right of free speech and somehow managed to pursued a whole nation that the 'needs/wants' he expressed were more important and a whole nation blindly followed him.

So by your statement he was right and the right of free speech by others, the minority, in this case the Jews was wrong.

It may be an extreme example but sadly it's part of history and true, and only points out that the right to free speech whether it be an individual or minority far outweighs the 'needs/wants' of the many.

This thread has been a very good example of the right to free speech & censorship, it started of with me using free speech to make a minority viewpoint heard, and resulted in the person at whom I was expressing my viewpoint to ie: Argo, having the decency to respond and not being upset at my viewpoint or using the power he has to censor me. That on behalf of Argo shows the true meaning of how important free speech is in a civilized society.

(can I get back to some nonsense now...) :)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
Quote from: Franko;577491

PS: why isn't this thread locked yet !!! ;)

I can handle that:hammer: