Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Censorship On Amiga.org...  (Read 4789 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Censorship On Amiga.org...
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:09 AM »
It will have been noticed that Argo has decided to shutdown the interesting and sometimes highly amusing Amiga vs PC thread.

Now I dunno about you, but to me that's censorship and while part of a moderators job is to moderate the forums & topics to make sure things don't get out of hand, with regard to use of bad language or insults being made towards individuals. I don't agree that he should have the power to bring to end the subject on which some 360 opinions were expressed and had been viewed over 11 thousand times. (were all these folk wrong and you were the only one right Argo ?)

It's like if you held a rally in a public place and some folk didn't agree with what you were saying or were shouting louder than you and not even about the same subject on which you were speaking, would you stop the rally and storm off in a huff or would you have the courage of your convictions to carry on. I know what I would do.

I know you said "This derailed off-topic some time ago, around 15 pages back it look and going nowhere...." but is this really a good enough reason to stop folk expressing their views.

There are many threads here that have gone "off-topic" far sooner but I don't see them being locked, why...

My point is this, is it right for one person to have the power of censorship over many or has freedom of speech been dealt another blow here. It may have helped if you had given a bit more detailed and reasonable explanation for the action you have taken.

I probably won't get an answer to this or will be censored myself, but sorry, I really can't stand it when someone abuses the power of censorship.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
Re: Censorship On Amiga.org...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »
The time this thread will disappear... 3....2....1....

"Attacking" a moderator ain't the smartest move.

Offline Britelite

• Show only replies by Britelite
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
Quote from: Franko;577272

My point is this, is it right for one person to have the power of censorship over many or has freedom of speech been dealt another blow here.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. You're always free to express your opinion, but nobody has the obligation to provide you with a medium for it.

Offline kolla

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
It's not censorship, noone was censored, the thread was just locked as it had drifted. Nothing wrong about that. To scream "censorship!" about this is rather sad, and almost an insult against those who really live with censorship every day.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
I'm not attacking anyone, I just feel very strongly about all forms of censorship, wether it be in the hands of an individual, a group, an organization or the worst of all a government.

I have spent many years in the past fighting for the rights for freedom of speech and campaigning against censorship and yes It has got me into trouble in the past, but it will never stop me expressing my views & opinions no matter what the cost is to myself.

Here however I am merely hoping for a bit more detailed explanation from Argo about why he chose to take this action, nothing more, and it certainly wasn't meant as a personal attack on him.

I know that Argo does not owe me an explanation nor do I have any right to expect one, but if we are all wishing to express and exchange our points of view on things, then it would be a very sad day indeed if we couldn't at least do so without being censored on them.

Merely hoping that Argo is willing to respond and we can either agree or disagree on the subject.

@kolla, like it or not, if something is locked from public debate then that my friend is censorship in the true meaning of the word...

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
Quote from: Britelite;577283
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. You're always free to express your opinion, but nobody has the obligation to provide you with a medium for it.

When you have paid for membership as I have done, then that does indeed give me some form of right here, to express my opinions in this medium...

Offline Britelite

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
Quote from: Franko;577289
When you have paid for membership as I have done, then that does indeed give me some form of right here, to express my opinions in this medium...

Yes, you always have the right to express you opinion, but you don't own this particular medium and must still follow it's rules. Just because I've paid an entrance-fee to a bar doesn't mean I don't need to follow the rules of said bar, and if I break the rules the staff can ask me to stop or throw me out. Locking a thread is the staff asking people to stop, and if they still continue (in another thread) they can very well ban (throw out) the offender.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
Quote from: Britelite;577291
Yes, you always have the right to express you opinion, but you don't own this particular medium and must still follow it's rules. Just because I've paid an entrance-fee to a bar doesn't mean I don't need to follow the rules of said bar, and if I break the rules the staff can ask me to stop or throw me out. Locking a thread is the staff asking people to stop, and if they still continue (in another thread) they can very well ban (throw out) the offender.

I don't claim to own this particular medium, If you had read what I said correctly you would understand that I am merely expressing what I feel about this matter and hoping, not demanding, that Argo would be quite simply willing to explain with a bit more detail why he chose to take this action.

Offline Britelite

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
Quote from: Franko;577292
I don't claim to own this particular medium, If you had read what I said correctly you would understand that I am merely expressing what I feel about this matter and hoping, not demanding, that Argo would be quite simply willing to explain with a bit more detail why he chose to take this action.

Fair enough, although he already mentioned the reason to closing the thread. No need to throw around accusations of censorship or how this would be limiting freedom of speech. Censorship in this case would be removing the whole thread, but everything is still free for all to read.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
Quote from: Franko;577272
It will have been noticed that Argo has decided to shutdown the interesting and sometimes highly amusing Amiga vs PC thread.

Now I dunno about you, but to me that's censorship and while part of a moderators job is to moderate the forums & topics to make sure things don't get out of hand, with regard to use of bad language or insults being made towards individuals. I don't agree that he should have the power to bring to end the subject on which some 360 opinions were expressed and had been viewed over 11 thousand times. (were all these folk wrong and you were the only one right Argo ?)

It's like if you held a rally in a public place and some folk didn't agree with what you were saying or were shouting louder than you and not even about the same subject on which you were speaking, would you stop the rally and storm off in a huff or would you have the courage of your convictions to carry on. I know what I would do.

I know you said "This derailed off-topic some time ago, around 15 pages back it look and going nowhere...." but is this really a good enough reason to stop folk expressing their views.

There are many threads here that have gone "off-topic" far sooner but I don't see them being locked, why...

My point is this, is it right for one person to have the power of censorship over many or has freedom of speech been dealt another blow here. It may have helped if you had given a bit more detailed and reasonable explanation for the action you have taken.

I probably won't get an answer to this or will be censored myself, but sorry, I really can't stand it when someone abuses the power of censorship.

Wall of text crits for over 9000!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
being censored would mean deleted posts or words.  Neither of which has happened as far as I can see.

Thread get locked when they stray too far from thee original topic.

If you want to continue the OT discussion start another thread as long as the discussion does not breach TOS or Posting guidlines you will be fine
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »
Quote from: JJ;577314
being censored would mean deleted posts or words.  Neither of which has happened as far as I can see.

Thread get locked when they stray too far from thee original topic.

If you want to continue the OT discussion start another thread as long as the discussion does not breach TOS or Posting guidlines you will be fine

Given the rarity with which threads are locked I was a little surprised that it was closed.

Especially when you consider some of the threads that have been allowed to continue even recently.

Ahh the joys of having to make decisions on moderation based not on precedent but rather on gut feeling/experience.  It's precisely these kinds of threads that make me glad not to have to bother with that crap any more.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
I think people don't understand the word censorship.

They toss out ideas, such as that freedom of speech doesn't trump private property rights.

Well that isn't actually always true - private property rights in the United States are not always sacrosanct.

The problem here is 'censorship' is such a loaded word, that people dont' usually want to admit they censor.  But you do censor.  You censor yourself - you don't hall off and let everyone 'have it' if they make you mad, you temper your own responses.

You censor your children, you censor threads.

Yes censorship is not merely removing or deleting someones words but also - inhibiting speech.

Locking a thread to prevent it from going off topic, is censorship.

Now, is it the type of censorship we should object to?

Well the original poster actually laid out some smart argument as to why it might be - the number of people who participated in the thread, read the thread - what little actual harm it was causing.

And few people here have laid out any counter argument, just going off topic with your misunderstandings and musings about free speech issues.

Inhibiting speech will always be a form of censorship.  Some forms of censorship will always be allowed.

I think the original poster is correct.  Unlock the thread.   It's not my site - for those that are confused I'm not claiming a private property right - this is whats called an 'opinion'.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
@Franko

@kolla, like it or not, if something is locked from public debate then that my friend is censorship in the true meaning of the word...

If you think that is censorship, why would you ever post on AWN?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;577307
Wall of text crits for over 9000!

You don't even understand the meme's you try to use. Embarassing...