Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Exclusive Interview with the CEO of CommodoreUSA  (Read 18395 times)

Description:

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Re: Amiga.org Exclusive Interview with the CEO of CommodoreUSA
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
It's ad nauseam not ad nauseum.

Please get your latin right before trying to look clever.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
To each his own, but Im not sure droning on the current "amiga" options is worthwhile. To my knowledge theyre not legally allowed to offer an amiga style os.

Anyway, that said, 2 questions I'd be interested in finding out the answers to are:

1. Is there *anything* interesting/unique in regads C-USA products, or will they always just be using other peoples work? (ie. any plans for custom apis, drivers, technologies,etc.)
2. Is Dammy allowed to sleep inside when it rains, does he have his own kennel, or does he sleep in the laundry?

Question 1 Im genuinely interested in. While Im a big fan of how amiga os and derivitives work, and always will be I do belive there's room for an alternative to Win/Mac/Lin on the desktop. A new OS written from scratch assuming modern technology and disregarding legacy stuff could be interesting, especially now seeing as all 3 big players are getting more and more unnecessarily bloated and driven by fads

Question 2 just couldnt be helped  :P
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
If a single fan can arrange the design and mass production of a custom PowerPC system (capable of running at least one directly Amiga-compatible OS) over more than one production run, with his own money, why can a company like Commodore USA not do more than produce equally expensive machines made out of commodity PC hardware?

Addendum: I'm not speaking of bundling OS4, MorphOS, or AROS with such a system - you may very well be legally prevented from doing so. However, I don't see any reason you couldn't give the respective teams the information needed for compatibility and bundle the machine with "Commodore OS" Linux.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:56:33 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Kalvan

• Show only replies by Kalvan
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Dear Mr. Altman:

1. Could you please explain your thought processes when you decided to found what you wanted to be seen as a legitimate successor to Commodore Business Machines? Please be honest.

2. I realise that you fell for Hyperion's legal bluff regarding Amiga-Alike OS's hook, line, and sinker, but why didn't you research other approaches to enter the computer market with a product that, if it didn't have anything directly to do with existing Amiga intellectual property (Motorola/Freescale 680X0 or PowerPC), at least fit in with the original Amiga philosophy of Hardware and Operating System tightly coupled together?

3. Could you please explain why your retail model places all the supply, financial, and legal risk on your retailers to the point of having them assemble your Amiga models for end users for you? This seems to be unprecedented in the computer world. Even small Gaming PC operations like Alienware, Cyber Power, IBuyPower, Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, and AVA Direct do not opperate in anything like this fashion.

4. What is the unique value proposition and/or intended market niche for an Amiga Mini with parts that have been priced (Minus the Amiga Logo) at a total of ca. $550 when you have set the prices set starting at $1,700, and one can get something with slightly higher specification from Alienware for $850?

5. What do you (or any of your employees with computer hardware/systems backgrounds) think of this computer/OS architecture?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:16:22 PM by Kalvan »

Offline clusteruk

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
Ok, I'll bite.

Question 1
What happened during the discussions I would assume you had with Ben Hermans and maybe Trevor about the attempt to license the AmigaOS for your Licensed Amiga hardware that you could build based on perhaps a Sam or X1000 motherboard in an official Amiga case.

Question 2
How are the discussions going with the Natami team to support them and if you can resolve a licensing issue with Ben Hermans then build into an official Amiga system.

A branded case is good for people like myself who will build my own Aros powered computer in a nice case but not those who are not able too.

Bottom line, as much as I like your version of COS Linux, it is fun and novel, however it is not Amiga in any shape or form.

Steve
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline motrucker

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
Who cares? Give it a rest. This CUSA will blow away soon.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Dr.Bongo

• Show only replies by Dr.Bongo
    • http://www.c64radio.com
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
Do you or any of your team still use or own classic Amiga systems? if not why not? and, if so what do you enjoy about them?
38911 BASIC BYTES FREE, less when I`ve had a drink!

*** http://c64radio.com *** Commodore 64 Radio 24/7 for free!

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
1.) In your first year of operation there was I feel a few mistakes, promoting Aros, promising support for aros, promptly dropping support and attacking aros, using copyrighted images on the web site, threaten legal action towards members of the community and respected web sites, using the workbench trademark before legally having right to it, calling your Amiga range 1000x, very similar to another product if you asked me, photo of your operations not being quite right, and announcing products and systems before you seem ready to announcing them, so basically how would you personally rate your performance? And would you care to comment on any of the above.

2.) What relationship (if any) do you have with Amiga Inc?
3.) Again same question but with regards to Hyperion, A-eon or any other amiga company?
4.) How did you feel about iContain and what sets your Amiga apart from their computers?
5.) Do you have any plans to attend any Amiga shows to demo your products?
6.) Do you have any plans to support any area of the current Amiga scene? Viva Amiga film? Advertising on amiga web site?
7.) The Amiga Fantasy case or similar all in one keyboard computer will it happen?
8.) Do you plan to support Linux mint developers and Linux community?
9.) Why should an Amiga user get one of your Amiga's?

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
The philosophy around the Amiga was "a computer for the masses".
Will we ever see that philosophy in practice again?
And, will a "new" computer carrying a heavy name like that be as revolutionary as its ancestors were?

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
1) What is your opinion of the Natami project?Would you be interested in making Classic a500/a1200 style cases(similar to the amiga fantasy case) for natami and for sale to users that want to build their own systems.
2)Have you any plans to create a more classic amiga or such or peripherals etc.
3)What's your opinion of Aros?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:53:39 PM by wrath of khan »

Offline arti040

• Show only replies by arti040
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
Why did You wasted so cool brand, just to sell shoddy PC in the MacMini-like case with sticker ...for triple price? :/

Honestly, as motrucker said - waste of time.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »
I didn't see this post going over well.

In other forums and on Facebook I hear people talking about how they are starting to hate this site because of all the CUSA related posts.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline mailman

• Show only replies by mailman
    • http://www.ppa.pl
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »
First batch of questions from PPA (Polish Amiga News Portal) readers:

1. Is there any chance for any kind of cooperation between CUSA and Team AROS?
2. Is it planned to have AROS supported by your system? Is it going to support all the build-in hardware?
3. Do you plan to begin some sort of a cooperation with the Amiga community that has nurtured the legend for so many years? What I mean is to convince (in a financial way) three Amiga teams (AmigaOS, MorphOS, AROS) to work on one operational system dedicated to one machine created by CUSA.
4. Do you plan to use the potential of Natami to create chip or card that could work with your motherboard under a new, common operational system?
5. Do you plan to create something like AppleStore and after coming to agreement with the publishers and owners of old classic Amiga games make them available to buy as ADF images or to create remakes of the most popular titles?

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
considering previous questions....

Please tell us the winning lottery numbers for next week ?

aside of which - I like the Mac Mini Amiga case :)  (sell it for £60, and I buy one)

ta
Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline Florida

• Show only replies by Florida
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
Mr. Barry,

Thank you for doing work for the Commodore community. I am sure there are folks out there who bought your C64x and are happy with your product. Those people could be folks who grew up with the Commodore 64 and thought it would be cool to replace their PC with another PC that cosmetically looks like a C64. Me, I wouldn't buy it because the C64 is perfect as it is and I felt it was too much money for me right now to put in a machine just to have it look like a C64. Yet your work has been appreciated by me.

I feel that people just want to put you on the spot. You have no interest in AROS, you made that clear a long time ago. I doubt you want to incorporate anything into your systems other than your own stuff. That will take years and I also doubt you can pull it off.

You are working on an Amiga line that is supposed to do more than it would ever be able to do. That I am not going to buy either. I just don't see it being a success. It is going to take so much more to really amaze the crowd. Maybe I am wrong, I would like to be wrong, I just don't see it happen.

My advice to you would be to do custom cases. Make them out of metal.
Make Vic20, C64 and Amiga 500, 600, 1000, 1200, 3000 and 4000, plus a 4000T tower out of metal and a simple powder coat. Make it look exactly like the original. I would also love to see an Amiga 600 case made out of metal prepared for a small PC motherboard with hot air exhaust in the back like you did with the C64. Perhaps prepare the A600 case for a MiniMIG?

Install a custom keyboard like you did with the C64. Remember how the Amiga 500 caps lock button has the light built in. Stuff like, details matters!

People can put their own hardware inside, most of us know how to do that.

I do have a question: When you acquired the Commodore "thing" did you get any papers containing "secrets", items like unknown future designs? Stuff like that we would all appreciate to hear about, if such exists.

Offline juga

• Show only replies by juga
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 02, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
Hi, It would be interesting to know your opinion about the FPGA projects that are recreating the old 8-bit and 16-bit machines on hardware FPGA emulation.